Is it allowed under BE rules for riders...........

{97702}

Visit site
to have an alcoholic drink before you compete? Or is that a banned substance?

Don't panic, it IS meant to be tongue in cheek, but I need to find some way of managing my nerves :D :D

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ha Ha, I think that *technically* under FEI rules it is banned, but for lower levels BE no one would even check, unless you were 7 sheets to the wind, or died!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
hahaha
My second Novice was a fairly big very undulating XC (Spring Hill if anyone remembers it) and the SJ felt like it was all on half strides.
I forgot my bridle so had to borrow an x-full one, to go on cob size Millie, that was just the start of the fun and games. The SJ was horrific, they were running late so I was going off the boil anyway... I "only" had 3 down but honestly I felt like we were on for a compulsory retirement :eek:
Anyway, I was losing my nerve so a friend poured a tin of cider down my neck as some kind of dutch courage :eek: Oli Townend was following me in the xc and I felt a bit out of place. Fell off at the third fence when I let self doubt creep in jumping from sunlight into dark :p Got back on and stormed home but that's the only time I've had a drink when at a show and it was NOT helpful! :D :D :D

Happily the next year I was placed there, was such a nice event but only ran N and I so probably not missed by many.

{97702}

Visit site
Well I did manage to forget where fence 7 was yesterday in my clear round show jumping when I was stone cold sober, so perhaps it wouldn't really work :D Deep breaths...... concentrate....... don't think about what you are doing, focus on each dressage movement or fence as it comes.....

Help!!!! :D

{97702}

Visit site
hahaha
My second Novice was a fairly big very undulating XC (Spring Hill if anyone remembers it) and the SJ felt like it was all on half strides.
I forgot my bridle so had to borrow an x-full one, to go on cob size Millie, that was just the start of the fun and games. The SJ was horrific, they were running late so I was going off the boil anyway... I "only" had 3 down but honestly I felt like we were on for a compulsory retirement :eek:
Anyway, I was losing my nerve so a friend poured a tin of cider down my neck as some kind of dutch courage :eek: Oli Townend was following me in the xc and I felt a bit out of place. Fell off at the third fence when I let self doubt creep in jumping from sunlight into dark :p Got back on and stormed home but that's the only time I've had a drink when at a show and it was NOT helpful! :D :D :D

Happily the next year I was placed there, was such a nice event but only ran N and I so probably not missed by many.

I remember Spring Hill well - I went to see a friend do her first Intermediate there, I had never jumped higher than 2'3" XC at that point and I was horrified :D That bit where you went down a very steep hill and up the other side.... amazing :)

Shame the cider wasn't helpful, perhaps I might have to have a re-think :p

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
ahh Millie was so good jumping downhill, I loved the ski jumps there, we could be really bold. Each time we went, we got better :p 9th the second time and then 5th the 3rd year, but I never did get round the SJ clear :tongue3:

be positive

Visit site
Rescue remedy is supposed to be helpful, one or two of my liveries have used it in the past, it is probably a placebo but does have an alcohol base, looking forward to the report afterwards.

{97702}

Visit site
Awww I have googled for pictures but I can't find any of the XC course - all I remember is thinking "holy ****" :D

daffy44

Visit site
I had a client who was going to her first regionals and she was unbelievably nervous, her husband was with her and driving the lorry, so I gave her a G and T, worked a treat! Really chilled her out, and she finished in the top ten, it was a prelim, so not too much to remember, but it turned from a quivering, nervous wreck back to her usual self.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Don't know about BE but but at the local hunt Hunter Trials last year, a few of the jump judges generously offered me some of their Sloe Gin, Plum Gin and various other Gins when I was walking the course.

siennamiller

Visit site
Me and my friend always used to have our jumping juice before BSJA classes, we found vodka was good. Only a little bit though, esp if you’re driving home.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I recall a story told by someone who was on the way to a competition when they came to the aid of an eventing competitor whose lorry had broken down. They loaded up the horse and tack (that was kind wasn't it?) Along with the essentials the driver of the lorry noticed that Mother had a bottle of sherry in her hand and they thought it was a slightly odd thing to take along when you are just trying to squeeze into someone else's lorry.

Later on in the day, they watched the round of their Rescue Horse - and it became quite apparent why the rider needed a couple of glasses of sherry before the round, as it went round like a maniac, and the Mother probably needed it for her nerves too!

Mule

Visit site
The first time I went drag hunting I was very nervous so I had some whisky. Problem was, I rarely drink so although my nerves disappeared I thought I was going to vomit on top of the poor horse:D

eggs

Visit site
Years ago I did a pairs hunter trial with a friend. We jumped the first couple of fences and then very quickly found ourselves in the woody part of the course. My friend yelled at me to pull up and promptly pulled a hip flask out of her pocket and had a big swig of brandy alexander which she then kindly offered to me. Very nice it was too.

{97702}

Visit site
That is brilliant Eggs - although I was thinking of having some prior to setting out rather than 1/2 way round :) like Mule, there would also be every chance I would be ill.....!!!!

meggymoo

Visit site
Faller report forms that fence judges have to complete, ask if the rider was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. But as it has been asked in briefings, unless they smell like a brewery or have a hypodermic hanging from their arm, how are we supposed to know? Its not always immediately obvious!

Bob notacob

Visit site
Faller report forms that fence judges have to complete, ask if the rider was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. But as it has been asked in briefings, unless they smell like a brewery or have a hypodermic hanging from their arm, how are we supposed to know? Its not always immediately obvious!

Frankly ,and from experience ,they might do better to breathalyse some of the Irish horses.lol.