Is it ever appropriate to ask for money?

Caramac71

Visit site
Something came up on Facebook yesterday and it got me thinking. The post was asking for money to help raise £10,000 to cover a vet bill (£8k for colic surgery plus an estimated £2k for hospital/stabling costs). The pony in question has helped raise lots of money for charities over the years by taking part in Shetland Grand National and it was implied that because of this, the owners are justified in asking the general public to donate. There is no suggestion that the owners cannot afford to pay themselves, just that they are looking to raise £10,000 to cover it.

Now personally, I cant imagine ever considering asking strangers to pay my vet bills - my animals = my responsibility. If I ever got to the stage where I couldn't afford the vet bills, I'd take on another job, borrow from family, take out credit cards, sell everything I owned, remortgage the house, etc. but I wouldn't expect anyone to bail me out.

Likewise I wouldn't ever donate cash to such a cause. What I would do is donate useful items to people who have break-ins or fires and lose everything they have, or to rescues that are in desperate need of help. Things like that are just rotten bad luck. But vet bills surely are things any animal owner must be prepared to expect? - and even with insurance there is a limit to what is covered so you need a back up plan for when costs escalate.

While I do have every sympathy for anyone in the situation of a sick animal and huge vet bill, I cant really see that it is appropriate to put out an appeal for donations. But maybe I'm just too black and white about it, having never (thankfully) been in that position. I just wondered what other opinions were?

LauraWheeler

Visit site
The last 8 months of Lucys life cost me over £8000 wish I had thought of asking for donations online ;)

Instead I got more work, went without lifes little extras and arranged a payment plan with the vets (the full bill wasn't paid off till nearly 2 years after I lost her) but then my ponies always come first.

Asking friends and family to help pay the bill is one thing but asking compleat strangers is another but then good luck to them if people are willing to send them money. I guess it's upto others if they wish to give them money. x

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Not something that I would do. Your animal, your issue. I suppose if people donate, people will ask. I would be curious to know how much they raise.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I'd never do that

and on the other hand I would never give someone money for something like that! how do you know that's actually what its going to be spent on in the first place!?

Aragon56

Visit site
Seems odd that a pony that competed in the Shetland Grand National doesn't have insurance to cover even part of the cost? Unless colic has been excluded for some reason - I agree though it's not something I'd donate to.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
I won't give to this charity but I'm not going to criticise them either. Maybe the pony does have a big fan base who might each want to donate a few pounds. Really it's just up to them.

_OC_

Visit site
I loath and despise people that do this......as others have said their pony their responsibility .....but, then I would give to horse charities.......would not get the begging bowl asking as not a chartable cause IMO.....End of!!!!!

MargotC

Visit site
Personally I would neither ask, I think, nor donate.

However I appreciate that if you find yourself in a situation where a beloved animal needs an expensive treatment unexpectedly, you might be inclined to ask as a last resort. Being objctive in such a situation must be hard, and obviously no one is forced to chip in. As long as you're not specifically asking or emotionally manipulating a person, but simply putting it out there as a general plea, I don't see the harm in that - if there is a genuine need behind the plea.

I do think, given the risks associated with the surgery in question (and the long-term prognosis and recurrence statistics), asking others to donate that much towards something where the end result might be devastating however much you spend is a little questionable.

I am not familiar with the case in question so cannot comment on the specifics of how it has come about.

I do hope the pony recovers.

marmalade88

Visit site
If this is the one I'm thinking of it was uninsured but their children went to a £X k a term private school??. IMO if you have an uninsured horse you should either be financially prepared to deal with the consequences or pts when time comes. I'd rather give money to the brooke which has a bigger impact on more equines.

michelledud

Visit site
Is it just me or does this seem very expensive for colic surgery??? I don't know anyone who's bill has been that big!
And they want £2000 for stabling costs for it's recovery? Really????
I think they're taking the p***, firstly for asking strangers for the money and secondly for their creative accounting skills!!!

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Is it just me or does this seem very expensive for colic surgery??? I don't know anyone who's bill has been that big!
And they want £2000 for stabling costs for it's recovery? Really????
I think they're taking the p***, firstly for asking strangers for the money and secondly for their creative accounting skills!!!
My first thoughts on this were also that £10K seemed a little excessive.

Bernster

Visit site
Not seen this but there are some odd requests for money, inc similar posts to help pay bills. It must be horrid to be in a position where you are really struggling but I agree, I don't think it's something I'd do and nor would I donate. Although I did donate to the get spider home appeal, even though I don't know the people!

pennyturner

Visit site
The only situation I can imagine is in extreme circumstances is to ask for the cash to PTS a much loved but valueless animal...

... and even that would only be necessary because of the red tape which has removed the slaughter-houses and low-end dealers who would otherwise be happy to give you £50 and get the deed done.

MileAMinute

Visit site
It irks me too.
I'm a type one diabetic and am on a few support groups, one is predominately American. A lot of justgiving posts are put on there with people asking others to donate money to cover their medical bills.

Annagain

Visit site
This seems to be happening more and more these days. This is the 4th case I've seen or read about in the last three months. I would neither donate nor ask. Your horse, your responsibility.

This case seems particularly impertinent if they can afford to pay but still want others to stump simply because he's taken part in Shetland Grand Nationals. I've done many sponsored rides over the years and raised money for charity while having a hell of a lot of fun. Does that mean I can get my vet bills paid too?

glamourpuss

Visit site
Ah the curse of the 'Go Fund Me' page. They seem to be popping up right left & centre begging for money.
If you read the small print on these pages once you donate to these pages they just go straight to the bank account of the person setting it up. They can therefore use the money for whatever they want & there is nothing the person donating can do about it.

My favourite is the one asking for money to pay legal fees for a family supposedly going to be made homeless.
No mention of the several rental properties they own or all the land they own locally 😂

Archangel

Visit site
So they are looking for £10,000 to cover a £10,000 bill. That means they are putting in £0. Nice work if you can get it.

How can colic surgery for something that only comes up to your knees come to £10k?

honetpot

Visit site
The only time I would ever give money towards a vet bill is if was,a family pet and a relatively small bill they could not pay and there were children involved.
I think most of us with horses makes choices about their care and do not expect others to pay for them, and if you have a horse most will have access to a credit card. I have already decided I would not pay for a colic op for any of mine so why would I want to pay for anyone else's bill?

dominobrown

Visit site
One of the horses at work had major colic surgery in liverpool. There was complications etc, and including vet visits from 3 different vets, transport etc the bill was around £5000. How you could mwnge to double that is beyond me! Its was also a very well bred tb yearling sister to a famous racehorse but obviously the owner can easily afford to cover the costs and its insured up to its eyeballs too, so should be the case. Still £10,000 seems an amazing amount for a shetland.

ISHmad

Visit site
Ah the curse of the 'Go Fund Me' page. They seem to be popping up right left & centre begging for money.
If you read the small print on these pages once you donate to these pages they just go straight to the bank account of the person setting it up. They can therefore use the money for whatever they want & there is nothing the person donating can do about it.

My favourite is the one asking for money to pay legal fees for a family supposedly going to be made homeless.
No mention of the several rental properties they own or all the land they own locally 😂

The only online one I ever use if I choose to donate to something is Just Giving and where it goes direct to a designated charity.

Tough as it sounds, unless it is a friend in need nothing would make me send money to an online stranger.

I too understood the owners family in this case of the Shetland pony is wealthy, and also the jockeys. Also surprised that they don't have any insurance. Doesn't seem quite right but could be me being overly cynical.

teapot

Visit site
Never been a fan of crowd sourcing, whatever the reason behind it. I know someone who's getting her PhD funded that way...

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I would never expect to be given donations to fund my animals vet bills or feed bills or anything else. My animals, my responsibility. I think it's a bit of a cheek to even think to ask.