Is it me.. turning horse out wet.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Today after I'd ridden my horse was v sweaty so I hosed her off and then I turned her out and decided to take the dogs for a wander round the field... our fields run next to a lane and there was two people discussing my horses and I was listening to their conversation which basically was along the lines of how stupid I was for turning the horse out sopping wet... so can anyone think of a reason not to turn out a wet horse on a gloriously sunny afternoon and why it would be preferable for her to stand in a stuffy stable, just because she'd been hosed off?

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I would love to know their reason behind it? I always turn mine out after Iv scraped them off. They go straight to roll but at least the sweat is off them

Fruitcake

Visit site
I did the same today. I do always cringe when he finds a nice dusty patch to roll in but surely it's no different to standing tied up to dry off or standing in a stable (which is probably going to be colder anyway). Not really sure what their point was.

cobsarefab

Visit site
My mare lives out and is very unhappy in a stable so she is out after she has been washed ( only washed on very warm and sunny days.) gosh, what would they think of me 😜

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Love it when you hear the village opinions on your horse :D:D:D I mean do they think wild horses have a 100% egyptian cotton towel hung up on the nearest tree ready for good rub down after a soak in the local watering hole??

*facepalm*

It's summmeeerrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! :)

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
The ones on the yard with my boy generally don't go out wet and they'd wait until mostly dry.
The reason: they get ridden bareback to the field so it's for rider benefit not horse.

TeamChaser

Visit site
Assuming scraped off, have no issues turning mine out still damp. Wouldn't turn out in hot sun soaking wet though as sun just heats water on coat and they will overheat

dulcie_dustyxx

Visit site
Nope. I suppose it's fine as long as it's not freezing/snowing etc. Personally I wouldn't but I'm a real softy, overprotective mum so... haha

TeamChaser

Visit site
Don't yours have a shake reflex?

So a horse that you've hosed and soaked thoroughly will remove all excess water itself?? Pretty sure all 3 have perfectly normal reflexes, still wouldn't put them out soaking wet in hot sun

"It is critical to scrape the warmed water off immediately, or the water may serve as insulation and might actually increase the horse's body temperature."

Last edited:

BSL

Visit site
So a horse that you've hosed and soaked thoroughly will remove all excess water itself?? Pretty sure all 3 have perfectly normal reflexes, still wouldn't put them out soaking wet in hot sun

My boy can't wait to collapse in dirt the minute he is released and roll over and over. Got to admit have never worried over wet/sun. I'm known as " health and safety". Thanks, something else to worry about now. lol...should add my boy is grey. They have a safety valve. If in danger. Roll in dirt..

Last edited:

TeamChaser

Visit site
Errrr - what do they think happens when horses get soaking wet outside in the RAIN?

Would assume if it's pissing down that would necessitate CLOUD cover and not boiling hot sun???? Pasted from veterinary advice :

"It is critical to scrape the warmed water off immediately, or the water may serve as insulation and might actually increase the horse's body temperature."

You are of course free to do exactly as you please on hot, sunny days and I will do the same

BSL

Visit site

You may be getting confused with endurance riding. Stop off cool downs??

tallyho!

Visit site

:D:D:D Have you never seen a horse shake?

TeamChaser

Visit site
:D:D:D Have you never seen a horse shake?

Jeez .....

If I've exercised my horses in hot weather their core temp is raised, after hosing the water scraped from them is noticibly much, much warmer than when applied. If left on the horse in hot sun it might actually increase their core temp - not the effect I'm after. So I would rather not turn them out soaking wet ... if it's ok with you?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
On a very hot, sunny day I wouldn't. As I too was taught that the cold water can heat up by a hot horse and act as an insulator. If I'm concerned by the temperature I'd hose, dry off the horse and keep him under shade until he was a bit drier & cooler to turn out.

Most of the time, I have no issues with turning out when slightly wet - even if he'll come in far dustier than when he went out :D

But to honest, I wouldn't comment out loud on what someone else was doing.

lizziebell

Visit site
Would assume if it's pissing down that would necessitate CLOUD cover and not boiling hot sun???? Pasted from veterinary advice :

Op didn't say she turned out wet in "boiling hot sun", just that it was a sunny afternoon. She also didn't mention how hot her horse was nor the temperature of the water, so very difficult to determine what actions are most appropriate.

We often get rain on very warm summer days. Pissing with rain one minute, then blue sky and hot the next. Can't imagine people are running out to scrape the rain water off their horses.

You are of course free to do exactly as you please on hot, sunny days and I will do the same
No need to be so defensive - It really was just meant as tongue in cheek to the people mentioned in Ops post!

Last edited:

cobsarefab

Visit site
Having had to wash my mare the other day I can confirm they shake lots off water of before you get a chance to scrape them. Pity she shook all over me though I'd just had a shower :D

tallyho!

Visit site
Jeez .....

If I've exercised my horses in hot weather their core temp is raised, after hosing the water scraped from them is noticibly much, much warmer than when applied. If left on the horse in hot sun it might actually increase their core temp - not the effect I'm after. So I would rather not turn them out soaking wet ... if it's ok with you?

You seem to think I'm judging you but I'm just asking a question.

ihatework

Visit site
Jeez .....

No it will evaporate. That is how cooling works, heat transfer

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I would hazard a guess, that when it is raining on a hot day unless the horse has just come back from exercise the body temperature of the horse will be much cooler when turned out in relation to hard work - so less risk of over heating.

I guess it comes down to personal preference & the individual horse? Being a native, my horse runs hot anyway & does sweat far more than his lighter built counterparts. He's likely to get hotter quicker, particularly when exercised. I'm therefore much more careful about helping him regulate his body temperature, especially if shade is sparse than my friend with her Arab that is designed to cope in heat! Obviously if it's hot but breezy, there's less risk. Just as if I've gone for an amble around the block, I'd be less worried then if I've got back from a faster paced 10 mile ride.

Durhamchance

Visit site
Jeez .....

This has always been my school of thought too, I noticed the water was very warm that I scraped off the pony after hosing the other day. Surely he won't cool down effectively if he's covered in hot water? Plus scraping it off means less water to make mud with when he inevitably rolls.

tallyho!

Visit site
It such a shame we all sweat when we are hot isn't? Much better if we were dry when we're in this tropical heat then we wouldn't cook alive!

I mean what are these people in hot countries thinking when they jump in a pool to cool down???!!! Madness!!

Horses evolved all wrong. Can you imagine sweating when you're hot to cool down??? Craaazyy!

Last edited: