Is it normal for a tractor mounted hedge cutter to operate from the field-side?

teddy_

Visit site
We had our 3 year old out for a walk in hand accompanying a newly broken 4 year old the hedge cutter stop when he saw us but was asked to start up again to get used to it he was happy to help with the training exercise now they were not remotely bothered the next time they met him. however they are Highland ponies so not as sharp or highly bred
It probably is a case by case basis, in terms of how they react. I don't think my boy would be bothered by a hedge cutter operating at a distance, just not 5 yards away :p.

teddy_

Visit site
So OH was telling me about cyclists who have ridden under the arm of the hedge cutter... I mean... there's something about taking steps for your own safety ? for the sake of waiting a few seconds for the tractor to pull over ?
I think what happened to you is very unusual, you can normally hear them from miles away. hedge cutters are really loud.
Indeed, I have no doubt there are some terribly impatient road users when it comes to hedge cutting. More fool them.

Yes, I agree. I really would like to point out to all, that I would by no means have even headed in that direction for a hack on my youngster had I known hedge cutting was taking place :p.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The difference between spreading fertiliser and flail cutting is all the sharp shards of hedge which are fired onto the road as they work - it is potentially dangerous to the passer by. I always cover the exposed side of my face with my hand to protect my eyes if I walk or cycle past a hedge cutter in action - I'm an eye surgeons daughter.

I wouldn't ride a horse past.

They really should put warning signs up. Of course they've got a job to do, but the public need warning too.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My TB would turn himself inside out, he's not very worldly. My retirees watch with interest when their field is being done ?

windand rain

Visit site
Ours was our side so saw us coming so they did see it the first time but was the otherside of the hedge the second time but they knew he was there he was only about 5 ft away the second time when he started up

marmalade76

Visit site
My daughter and i always have a laugh about hedgecutters. Its seems that they only ever go out trimming when we go on hacks. Its like they wait until we set off and then suddenly appear ! Our 2 are fairly sensible but find hedgecutters very scary. Around here, yes they do both sides. Sorry you had a fall OP, but hope you are Ok.

We tend to wait a bit in the hope that they see us, if not we turn around and go back the way we came.

If it's daylight, they will be working, they try to get the field sides done before the ground gets wet, particularly with arable.

holeymoley

Visit site
I’ve never seen them cut inside the field here, always on the road where they usually pull the cutter up and move to a passing place to allow you to pass. I don’t think I’d be too amused even driving if there was shards of twigs hitting off my car! Not sure, I think just an unfortunate incident op.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This is actually something I’ve never had the misfortune to come across, that’s quite odd when I think about it!
Passed loads on the road and certainly the guy who drives the one locally here is great and always pulls over and stops for me.
I know they do have to cut both sides so consider myself pretty lucky!

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
When cutting our hedges Mr R spins the head so that the debris is flung back into the hedge and not out into the fields. This does slow the job up a bit though.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
No, I wouldn't. I would have turned him away to grow up physically and mentally until he was 4.

They do that whether you turn them away or not.

yes perfectly normal to operate from the field side. why on earth are you riding a 3 yr old? its far too young.

It's also perfectly normal to lightly hack a 3 year old, especially in trusted company. Shock horror, mine will probably be hacking out alone some time this winter!

There is ZERO evidence that starting horses later than 3 does them any good at all.

Reading this thread anyone would think that a driver starts his hedge cutter as the sun rises and never switches it off until sunset. It doesn't matter how much course walking you do before hand, surprises can still happen.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Threads going off in another direction but ycbm is right there’s no is no evidence work that shows doing the correct work at three shortens working life .
Work done on Tbs showed that the horses who where worked younger had better bone health because work increases bone density .
I can’t think of any athletic task in humans that improved by sitting on your backside eating until your a teenager and then starting to try to be an athlete .
Soft tissue health also improves with correct challenges .
It’s not riding at three that shortens working lives it’s working in a inappropriate way
The biggest indicator for lameness is being fat not working young.

windswoo

Visit site
Slightly off topic again, so apologies op.
Has anyone had fields side hedge trimmed since all the rain.
I really need my hedge doing and was hoping I could get it done next week, but after all the rain from last week and being on clay soil I'm now worried the tractor will just trash ground.
Any thoughts appreciated.
OP - at least you are all ok?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If the ground is wet, the tractor tyres will indeed cut it up badly. It's one of the reasons that we now trim our hedges ourselves using a hand held hedge trimmer. The other reason being the lethal sharp shards of hedge that get fired 50m into the field by the tractor mounted flail cutter.