Is it so bad not riding because it's cold ??

skint1

Visit site
Ah you Cornish are hard core though, I ride with a Cornish lady sometimes, she also has 2 to do and work full time, but she has amazing energy and self discipline. It's quite admirable

Cornish

Visit site
Ah you Cornish are hard core though, I ride with a Cornish lady sometimes, she also has 2 to do and work full time, but she has amazing energy and self discipline. It's quite admirable

I know some people like that too - I do draw the line at hunting in the pouring rain though (which happens a lot in Cornwall), mainly because of the thought of cleaning the tack afterwards!!!!

skint1

Visit site
I know some people like that too - I do draw the line at hunting in the pouring rain though (which happens a lot in Cornwall), mainly because of the thought of cleaning the tack afterwards!!!!

Heavy rain is the only weather that my Cornish friend won't ride in too, and for the same reason (the tack) you guys are a tough breed!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I've ridden three today, all jumped.

I work long days/nights, three days a week so I try to get everyone ridden on my days off.

I have some soft shell breeches that are fleece lined, windproof and waterproof which makes riding in the cold/wet so much easier. I also keep in mind that the weather can turn when competing so it's good practice to ride in any weather.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Each to their own but if you just dont feel motivated to ride, best not to bother, something will go wrong and you wont be in the right frame of mind to deal with it. I only ride for pleasure and when its biting cold, windy or horizontal rain its no pleasure. Im quite happy doing all the stable chores then going home. Im lucky that I can turnout every day if I want to and horse doesnt give a flying fig whether he's ridden or not, doesnt affect him at all.

meesha

Visit site
Went on top Mendips Friday and had jump lesson sat, both in slight sleet, really enjoyed it but my god it was blinking freezing, thermal hunt shirt, hoody and puffa jacket on mendips then hunt shirt, hoody, thin rainjacket to keep out cold and body protector for jump lesson. Oh and 3 pairs thin socks........ Did leave me shattered, not just the riding but doing 3 horses in cold boxing up both days, cleaning box out after, tack cleaning etc .....If you don't fancy it don't do it! Only couple more weeks till spring!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I have to admit that I've not ridden as much lately due to the weather. I have been giving some motivation though as have to do some rehab with my mare for the next couple of weeks so will have to ride every day.

What I really hate is not matter how carefully I layer up, I often end up sweating while riding, then by the time I've finished at the yard I'm freezing and it takes me hours to get warm.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I was the ultimate fair weather rider when I was riding. Ffion must be hard as nails, cos I was in agony today just walking the dogs. I have bought new gloves and they're far too cumbersome to ride with, but they saved my hands on the second dog walk. Don't feel bad, the horse won't care.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I have tried to keep to ticking over, but this last week has been horrible. I lunged most nights, but on Friday night, my Reynauds took over totally. Stood with good gloves on, but unable to hold line, whip, nothing. Pony was a saint & let me warm my hands in his armpits. Fencing yesterday & field clear today & I am still cold!

Micropony

Visit site
I find the riding bit is fine, even in this cold weather a long sleeved t-shirt and a thin waistcoat is plenty for schooling. But we are very lucky to have an indoor school... For schooling I prefer this time of year to the height of summer, when I am prone to melting into a horrible pool of sweat. It's the jobs that are cold and miserable in winter I think, making feeds, hosing muddy legs, cleaning turnout boots. Now if it could just be about ten degrees all year round, that would suit me fine!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I find the riding bit is fine, even in this cold weather a long sleeved t-shirt and a thin waistcoat is plenty for schooling. But we are very lucky to have an indoor school... For schooling I prefer this time of year to the height of summer, when I am prone to melting into a horrible pool of sweat. It's the jobs that are cold and miserable in winter I think, making feeds, hosing muddy legs, cleaning turnout boots. Now if it could just be about ten degrees all year round, that would suit me fine!

Yes, that would do fine.

pansymouse

Visit site
I have Raynauds; it's not safe for me to ride when it's too cold - loose all circulation in my fingers and can't hold the reins properly. The pain when the circulation starts going back into my fingers is unbelievable, I have to put my hands in cold water to slow it down and control the pain.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I'm a big believer in you only get better if you put the work in, this used to mean I would put endless hours in wandering around the school. now I try a more structured approach, I have plans if what I want to achieve in the school and if I am unable to achieve them through the wrong mindset (bad weather or rough day at work) I'll change plans accordingly. This might mean hacking instead or a night off riding. If you feel bad for not riding, try and be productive and watch some clinics on YouTube or do some work on your core strength.

southerncomfort

Visit site
If I think it's too bitter to ride, I'll take my horse out for an in-hand hack and jog along beside her. That way we both get exercised and, more importantly, we stay warm! :)

ossy

Visit site
Of course you shouldn't feel bad, its your hobby and its meant to be fun your horse isn't going to mind one way or another. However i always remember what an old school ex show jumper trainer once said to me "you only get out this job what you put in"

If your really keen on getting out competing and being competitive then you'll need to accept you will be up against folk that will ride and train in this weather. Im just an ammeter too competing novice but want to do elementary/medium this year, did i want to be out yesterday in the wind and rain no but we nailed the best extensions and walk pirouettes we've ever done and the buzz from that made it worth while.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If your really keen on getting out competing and being competitive then you'll need to accept you will be up against folk that will ride and train in this weather.

that's the thing. And it's not just the additional training hours that you miss putting in, you are also not training your horse to perform well in adverse conditions ;) Fine if you do all your shows indoors or cancel going if it's raining... I try to make myself man up and get on with it when it's raining, for example - need to know you can do it in case it pees down on the day of a big show :D

mcnaughty

Visit site
LOL I dragged my 10 year old daughter out Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Saturday was indoors though but it was snowing! I dressed her in multiple layers and got the lorry really really warm and filled a hot water bottle for her. Got her pony ready and dropped her home and finished off pony for her though! Do not beat yourself up about it! The weather is going to warm up considerably this week so you can perhaps riding in the evening if you have flood lights. I only pushed my daughter as she has got in with the local am-dram society and practically the whole of March is going to be written off due to rehearsals! How dare she find another pass-time!! LOL ;-)

AandK

Visit site
Each to their own, isn't it. No crime in choosing not to ride, but you need recognise that you only get back what you put in. So if you really want to progress, that will come a lot more slowly if you don't make the effort all year round ;)

Personally I prefer to wrap up warm and crack on, my younger horse has made a big training leap this winter so its paying off. but I do understand the temptation to stay indoors.

This for me. Unless the roads/arena are frozen/icey then I just crack on. As someone once said "the hardest part of getting fit is putting on your kit!" Once I am at the yard and getting ready I'm fine, it's the getting out of bed and getting there that is the problem! (I ride early morning during the week).

Annagain

Visit site
As others have said, you get out what you put in. As long as you're happy with that there's no problem. your horse certainly won't care.

I'm a bit like you and the slightest thing will put me off riding. At the weekends I find getting up early and doing it first thing works best for me. If I start doing something else I can't get the motivation to go later on in the day. I ride after work in the week and have to go straight from work. If I sit down, that's it for the night! I also find making arrangements to ride with someone or booking a lesson means you can't back out.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Once I am at the yard and getting ready I'm fine, it's the getting out of bed and getting there that is the problem! (I ride early morning during the week).

lol, yup! Really wasn't feeling it this morning, I was tired and it was blowing a hooley. Rode Millie - I usually do Kira in the mornings... knowing that I will force myself to ride k later because she needs the regular work. If I'd done her this morning I'd probably have let M have the day off :D hehe

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I think if your horse is stable kept then you really should get them out and about. If you are aiming for a competition, also you should keep going, otherwise what's wrong with a bit of down time on foul winter days . My horses were happy with a short turn out and a relaxed day eating in the stable with a good groom.

Archangel

Visit site
This morning was the worst this winter - I go out with the bike and dog first thing and honestly I was seriously napping, it would only have taken a flutter of a crisp packet and I would have spun round and ended up in the kitchen drinking tea. Luckily I spotted the moon was still up and that gave me enough encouragement to get going. It was chucking filly though.

monte1

Visit site
I am another one who loves the saying, no such thing as wrong weather it is the wrong clothes ..LOL

I just wrap up with lots of layers and crack on with mucking out and the yard jobs then ride straight away, so I am already warm when i get onboard.
I will happily soldier on with riding during the winter and actually prefer schooling in this sort of cold weather rather than slow hacks as at least you can keep warmer!

but as others have said don't beat yourself up if you don't want to go, it is supposed to be enjoyable and fun :)

spring will be here soon enough, then we can moan about flies and sunburn :))

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
I'm really struggling to keep 3 going after work at the min but it's more so the darkness than the weather for me, although this last week has been really awful. The nights are getting lighter though!

wingedhorse

Visit site
I structure competitions and lessons to motivate me to do the bits in between. Tend to aim for winter regionals in February each year as motivation to keep horse sane and rideable.

I also build in a little redundancy – in a perfect week my horses work 7 days (3-4 of which is hacking). Not all done by me!
In a non perfect week it might drop down to 5 times a week, but that is still plenty to keep them fit!

I aim to run, swim and ride.

I do ride in most weathers, and often am not time flexible. I do enough riding in rain, or have enough time when rain is unavoidable to be sure my horses work in all weathers. But I have enough regular sessions a week, that I can drop the odd one due to weather no problem. Though I very rarely cancel in advance due to weather, as it is SO CHANGEABLE. If I am about to tack up and it is torrential rain, and wind, and the session is expendable, then I’ll leave it.

But I’d make the decision from the stables, not from the couch! As might stop.

I know I need to work in the school 4-5 times a week (across two horses) not to lose my own riding flexibility and strength,

So that is motivation.

As is that my older horse needs regular muscle building gymnastic work to stay sound.

I am disciplined about riding, all year round, all weathers. But also recognise there are some days, not riding is the right thing!

dotty1

Visit site
I hate the cold weather and also lack motivation in the winter, my horse is also a prat if not ridden regularly so it's not really fun but I feel guilty if I don't ride.
For the first time last year I gave her a holiday for Jan and Feb which took the pressure off us both and she came back with a much better attitude, so did I proberbly too.
Have done the same this year, will start riding Again beginning of March as long as it's a bit warmer!!.