Is it time to call it a day?

Bellalily

Visit site
We have all had confidence issues from time to time. I went from doing BE to not being able to leave the yard (on the same horse) without floods of tears because I was terrified. That’s what a marriage breakdown can do.
Please find someone enormously kind and patient who has been where you are and who will look after you. You will conquer this, just give yourself as much time as it takes. 🤗

Horseperson432

Visit site
If you were happy riding her for a year I don’t think she’s the wrong horse. Clearly a change of behaviour has occurred which can (very annoyingly) be down to so many things. It may just be that shes fresh and feeling well, my horses think a leaf is a shark at the minute as they’re not able to be ridden/ have as much turn out as usual. Have you changed her food lately? Obviously there is the possibility of some discomfort but personally if I were in your position I would try and get some more work in to her, turn out as much as possible, possibly reduce feed etc before jumping to any conclusions!! I appreciate getting more work into her may be tricky if you’re lacking confidence, which is completely understandable… it happens to us all! Is there anyone else you could get to do a bit with her?
All in all I would personally wait until winter freshness has died down before giving up!

Bellalily

Visit site
If you were happy riding her for a year I don’t think she’s the wrong horse. Clearly a change of behaviour has occurred which can (very annoyingly) be down to so many things. It may just be that shes fresh and feeling well, my horses think a leaf is a shark at the minute as they’re not able to be ridden/ have as much turn out as usual. Have you changed her food lately? Obviously there is the possibility of some discomfort but personally if I were in your position I would try and get some more work in to her, turn out as much as possible, possibly reduce feed etc before jumping to any conclusions!! I appreciate getting more work into her may be tricky if you’re lacking confidence, which is completely understandable… it happens to us all! Is there anyone else you could get to do a bit with her?
All in all I would personally wait until winter freshness has died down before giving up!
Spring has definitely sprung here. I have one inexhaustible and ready to go. He does it every early spring, rides are an adrenaline rush, but wait till April and he’ll be a sweetie again.

Jemima50

Visit site
Is she getting fitter/better fed than when you first rode her ?
I rode a tb that was an angel to start with, but as she got fitter was an absolute nightmare.

clairebearfur1

Visit site
I’ve been riding the most lovely horse for almost a year and things were so great until a couple of months ago when she spooked out on a hack (in an area we regularly ride), really out of character and I ended up having to hop off and walk back to the stables. We’ve since had a number of similar incidents and it’s getting to the point where I’m getting too nervous to ride and making excuses not to go.
I think she is picking up on my nerves and we are both setting each off, she’s not getting the confidence she needs from a rider. I really don’t want to give her up (she’s a share) but I feel like it’s never going to go back to how it was when we’d have super chilled rides. Should I just accept she’s not the right horse for me?
Get some lessons or have a trainer ride her dont give up though!