Is it unusual to see certain colours on "big" horses??

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
I only ask as my vets said to me that it isn't usual to see a "big" dun horse and it got me wondering whether it is unusual to see other certain colours on horses?

By "big", vets meant 16hh and over - Bailey is now pushing 16.1 and has filled out a bit more as he is maturing [rising 5].

I'd not really thought of it before they made the comment to me - any one else seen any colours you thought odd/uncommon to see on a bigger horse? :)

If anyone has any pictures to add of these horses btw, please feel free!

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
I'm surprised he said unusual to get big duns as I know of 3 that are over 17hh! lol never met a large appy coloured, but thats probs more due to breed!

I've not seen a big dun before Bailey became bigger than he was supposed to, but I have seen more bigger appy coloured horses! My friend has one who is rather aptly named "Spot" :D

Fools Motto

Visit site
funnily enough, before i had opened the tread I automatically thought 'Dun'.

Why is it you don't seem to see many about?

As a total guess, I think DUN comes from connie/highland type PONIES. If you cross a pony with a horse (to get a bigger dun) you end up with a small horse-sized dun, NOT a big horse sized dun! To get a big horse sized dun, you need to cross it again with a horse, but that knocks the chances of the dilute gene being passed on and therefore big duns can (and do happen) but it is not a common sight! Sadly.
I knew of a lovely big dun, (17hands +) he was Czechoslovakian warmblood I think. Was evented, but he got too carried away with XC... breaks failed too many times to be trusted. Think he went dressaging.

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
My YO has a 16.2hh bay roan mare and a 16.2hh palomino gelding - is there a prize? :D

Pancake :D I should have called bailey pancake really. I just liked the drink more hence his name!!! [I'm not an alchy, honest]

Actually thinking about it, we have a big I guess you would call him a grey roan at our yard. He's lovely :) and I've not seen one as big as him before with that colouring.

dafthoss

Visit site
My duns only 14.2 but there isnt many arround even at his size the only others Ive seen that are a similar shade to him have been about 11hh

measles

Visit site
The dun gene mostly comes from smaller, native breeds and therefore larger horses with the colouring are rare. This is our 4yo dun gelding who will finish at 16hh - 16.1hh. He is by a Connemara stallion (hence the dun gene) out of an ISH mare. The rareity value is certainly there as we've had lots of comments that he'll sell well when he comes back into work in the next month or so

Woody.jpg

marmalade76

Visit site
I haven't seen many big pallies but there was one at the equine college I went to. She was beautiful, really gold and about 16.2 and a good MW type. She was a lovely ride but one of the nastiest horses to do.

I have known a couple of big spotties, klaus was at least 16 hands and Cockley Cley Weatherman was at least 16.2 and a roany blanket spot dressage horse. Both were lovely.

OFG

Visit site
As a total guess, I think DUN comes from connie/highland type PONIES. If you cross a pony with a horse (to get a bigger dun) you end up with a small horse-sized dun, NOT a big horse sized dun! To get a big horse sized dun, you need to cross it again with a horse, but that knocks the chances of the dilute gene being passed on and therefore big duns can (and do happen) but it is not a common sight! Sadly.
I knew of a lovely big dun, (17hands +) he was Czechoslovakian warmblood I think. Was evented, but he got too carried away with XC... breaks failed too many times to be trusted. Think he went dressaging.

good a guess as any and makes sense :)

sychnant

Visit site
There was a beautiful 16.2hh palomino at a yard I rode at many years ago. A real stunner. Also, in my first job with horses, an 18.2hh dun. Back then I could even mount him from the ground, which shows how long ago that was. lol

DunDally

Visit site
I have a 16h buckskin (not that big, I know). He's quite pale, sort of a champagne colour really. We don't see many of his colour and size when we are out and about. Would post a pic if I could only get it to work.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Wow! Picture please :)

He's a stocky MW too. Know nothing of his breeding but i had him from a 4 year old (he's 8 now) and he was imported from Romania. He's also got an 'oil slick' type marking down one shoulder which makes him even more unusual! As a size comparison my stepdad standing next to him is 6'3! He's the nicest natured horse although a bit simple at times! :D

Dressage23rdAugust005.jpg

Fab-dressageODE-2.jpg

These show his shoulder marking

IMG811.jpg

100_0540.jpg

Last edited:

s4sugar

Visit site
Most of the Duns in this thread are buckskin instead.

Highlands & Shetlands have dun as do most American & Iberian breeds.

Totally different genes.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
When you say dun- do you mean dun or buckskin? :D

Duns generally have the dorsal stripe and sometimes barring on the legs. Buckskins don't as they are different genes- they are a single dilute (just like a palomino).

Anyway, I know of a 16.3 buckskin and a 16.1 palomino. Also, some of the European draft horses are pretty big and many are roan.

I think a palomino or buckskin shire would look rather awesome :D