Is it wrong for a grown woman to ride a 12.3hh welsh A?

pennyturner

Visit site
Hacked out on one of the kids little ponies this morning. I haven't ridden him for ages, and I'd forgotten just how much fun he is. I swear he loved every minute of it, seemed pleased with himself to be ridden by mum, and very forward. I'm way too big for him, but does it matter if neither of us care?

*Still grinning from his 'motorbike' gallop*

Darremi

Visit site
Hacked out on one of the kids little ponies this morning. I haven't ridden him for ages, and I'd forgotten just how much fun he is. I swear he loved every minute of it, seemed pleased with himself to be ridden by mum, and very forward. I'm way too big for him, but does it matter if neither of us care?

*Still grinning from his 'motorbike' gallop*

When you say their neither of you care, you can't really speak for the pony. He's not going to be able to voice his objection.

I would say that as long as you don't weigh more than 9 stone you'll be alright.

pennyturner

Visit site
I'm 11st, so yes, too heavy, but probably OK for the odd hack.
He's very well built; close-coupled, with legs like scaffold poles.

mrogers

Visit site
sec A's only go up to 12hh so hes more likely to be a sec B. I've both shown and schooled sec B's at shows for children who aren't as quick as the ponies reactions...and im 11st...and 5ft 8 :-o

p87

Visit site
I occasionally ride our 10.2 shetland just for a potter round the school and to teach her aids. I am around 10-11stone and she is more than able to carry my weight. Remember how strong horses are (especially shetlands - they were bred as pit ponies and to carry men up the hills) and as long as you are just having the odd potter around and not expecting them to carry you for miles or jump then I'd say use your common sense, ignore the 'weight brigade' on here and have fun with your pony!

I am now expecting a barrage of abuse from the usual lot so I won't be typing any more replies on here lol :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Humph, my Section A has a self-imposed weight limit of 8 stone. Any more than that and off you go. I thought that as I had to walk half a mile up and down to the field regularly and she needed the exercise I'd kill two birds with one stone. I'd ridden naughtier little things than her before, anyway it was the heavier kids she managed to deposit so neatly, surely as a sensible adult used to riding difficult animals I'd be fine. No way was she putting up with me on board, two strides I stayed on before she dropped her shoulder and off I went.

So I don't believe all this horses can't voice their objections: Oh yes they can!

pennyturner

Visit site
sec A's only go up to 12hh so hes more likely to be a sec B. I've both shown and schooled sec B's at shows for children who aren't as quick as the ponies reactions...and im 11st...and 5ft 8 :-o

I know he's over height, and he isn't papered but he's section A type - definitely no elegant, riding pony type section B.
He's an over-sized mutant mountain pony!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I was told by my mother that at 10 stone I should lose weight to event my 15.3 ISH so that is my perspective!

Not that many years ago you'd have been using a weight cloth to get you up to 12 stone! Minimum weight was reduced to 11 stone for the 1996 Olympics and was only abolished in 1998 :D

Having said that, I wouldn't want to see my 15.3 very light built TB eventing with more than about 10 stone up, she's so little and she certainly shows it if, say, you stick 13 stone on her. I'm expecting her son who will be roughly the same height and who is by a very heavy cob to be able to carry 15 stone quite happily and hoping he'll event at lower levels with about 13 stone up.

Visit site
I regularly ride my shetlands - 3-4x a week during the show session doing flat work and fun. I am 5'4" and just shy of 10st. They have absolutely no problems carrying me or having a yeehaa about the place!

So long as your pony isn't struggling to carry you then bash on!

cambrica

Visit site
Humph, my Section A has a self-imposed weight limit of 8 stone. Any more than that and off you go. I thought that as I had to walk half a mile up and down to the field regularly and she needed the exercise I'd kill two birds with one stone. I'd ridden naughtier little things than her before, anyway it was the heavier kids she managed to deposit so neatly, surely as a sensible adult used to riding difficult animals I'd be fine. No way was she putting up with me on board, two strides I stayed on before she dropped her shoulder and off I went.

So I don't believe all this horses can't voice their objections: Oh yes they can!

LoL :D It is far trickier riding an 11.2 than you realise! I had that notion and have been on both our sec A's partly to correct them when they were testing the young riders and partly to have a bit of pony fun - re-living my youth. I have been unceremoniously dumped ( to the amusement of the kids) and found them pretty uncomfortable.
As for weight limits, I am 10 stone and they show no signs of weakness there plus many small adults compete in ridden m&m at high levels. I think though for my own safety I will stick with the bigger Welshies ;)

millikins

Visit site
There's a lady we see drag hunting on a Sec A. Bought for the kids, was vile to them so mum took it hunting to add something to the sales ad. They both had so much fun he stayed!

Darremi

Visit site
Not that many years ago you'd have been using a weight cloth to get you up to 12 stone! Minimum weight was reduced to 11 stone for the 1996 Olympics and was only abolished in 1998 :D

Having said that, I wouldn't want to see my 15.3 very light built TB eventing with more than about 10 stone up, she's so little and she certainly shows it if, say, you stick 13 stone on her. I'm expecting her son who will be roughly the same height and who is by a very heavy cob to be able to carry 15 stone quite happily and hoping he'll event at lower levels with about 13 stone up.

I agree about eventing a TB. I got down to 8 stone to ride my TB mare up to CCI**. When I put on weight again I gave her to somebody else to ride. I am 5.10 so it's not really healthy my natural weight is around 10 stone.

Personally I really don't think adults should be riding shetlands.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
yes it does matter your far too big and heavy to be riding a small pony buy a quad bike

so how do you think the majority of ponies are broken in, not exactly an abundance of child riders who are capable of backing ponies correctly so adults have to hop on!! i used to hop on my daughters naughty 11.2 to remind him of his manners quite regularly. he had no problem carrying me for those short sessions, only problem was getting my arse wedged in the cub saddle a few times much to daughters amusement

Megibo

Visit site
If you enjoy it and pony doesn't compain, go for it!

I rode my 13.3 section D at my heaviest of almost 13 stone (but stuck at 12 and a half for ages) and we both had a ball. Regular checks by physio and she was fine etc
I'm 11 stone now and got 2 stone to go but she hasn't changed!

FionaM12

Visit site
I don't know if it's "wrong" but I wouldn't do it. I don't think all ponies let you know if you're too heavy, and I'd hate to think I might be doing damage. :(

I'm about nine and a half stone at present. I'd ride a strong 13.2 but not a 12.2. Mollie's 14.2 so obviously fine for me, but I'd politely refuse if anyone over about 12 stone wanted to ride her. She's no lightweight but she's got quite a long back so not a weight-carrier either.

pennyturner

Visit site
Been trying to upload a picture of him. This is Bobby, looking a little bigger than he is on account of the hobbit (D#2 a few years ago) in the old iron shod cart.

attachment.php

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
Oo I'm very envious, have often longed to jump on our sec a for a bit of fun...currently pregnant tho and usually a bit heavier than I could do with being, so haven't...but come the planned post-preg w,eight loss campaign I might!
Love your cart btw, am looking for a similar one for ours. Pony boy is gorgeous too!

DJ

Visit site
He`s a good size :) .... A lot of ponies were 'built/breed' to carry fully grown men over rough terrain. My lad is 12.3hh and i ride him .... ;)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Been trying to upload a picture of him. This is Bobby, looking a little bigger than he is on account of the hobbit (D#2 a few years ago) in the old iron shod cart.

attachment.php

Lovely pony, but he looks quite overweight in this photo. Personally would not put more than 8 stone on him. More if he lost weight.

FionaM12

Visit site
Totally agree with daisysp8 welsh ponies were originaly breed for farmers to ride over the hills to check their sheep.

Things which were done in the past are not necessarily the right things to do though. Bull breed dogs were originally bred for bull baiting but I'm not going to go and let mine have a go at some cattle. ;)

DJ

Visit site
I currently hover between 9st 12lbs and 10st 2lbs and i`m 5' 3" (ish) .... :)

This was last summer when i first backed and started him

Bluesfirsthack_zpsba9ca100.jpg

and this was christmas day ... a very good friend of mine was riding my other lad (hello **waves** as i know she`ll see this lol):

xmasdayride_zps95c6eb47.jpg

Please excuse the mud lolol