Is it wrong for a grown woman to ride a 12.3hh welsh A?

showpony

Visit site
Whatever about stocky natives! Daughters pony below just over 12hh, I weigh 8.5 stone and wouldn't dare get up on her! Let alone a rider that weighs 11 stone!

hunt2_zpse062eb6b.jpg

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm still shocked people think 11stone is okay for 12.3 pony with fine legs! All these photos posted are of smaller riders or chunkier ponies. It's horses for courses, I'm sure some ponies are fine to carry 11st but the OPs doesn't look the sort.

And yes I know of a few ponies with incredibly bad backs from riders who are too heavy. An example was my 12hh games pony who I had when I was a teenager had an awful back when he came to me. He had only been ridden by a 10st man as he was too mental for kids.

I never said 11st was ok for that pony... I don't know that pony. I said our 12.2hhs took 11st no problem, and argued against the people who said they wouldn't ride ponies at all!! Lots of ponies in the 12.2hh to 13.2hh gap are weight carriers - look at Mongolian ponies, or Icelandics, Fells, Highlands, Eriskays... However I have no experience of Welshies other than the ones I have seen at PC.

You can learn to tell if a pony is carrying too much weight. You can tell by the stride, and the way the hindquarters move. However I am practiced at it through RDA.

Last edited:

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I think for one off's or small schooling sessions/short hacks there is nothing wrong with OP's question. I think we are being a bit mean to those people over 9 stone or so. Not all of us are lightweight, I can't remember being under that weight since my very early school days. I have a full up to height NF who has never had a back problem relating to my weight (I vary between 10.5-11.5) in 17years of ridden work.

I also rode a 13hh who never displayed an issue carrying my weight, I didn't ride her too much as at 5'7 I felt a little bit to big but her enthusiasm for work was a clear enough indicator that she was happy with me on her.

I wouldn't jump on my son's 11.2 as I'd need roller skates but I have to admit I am tempted as it looks like it could be good fun! I wouldn't swap my ponies for a horse as I have all I need in my fab foresters!!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
He probably won't 'complain' as they generally don't/can't.

IMO 11 stone is FAR too heavy for a 12.2 pony. Just because he CAN, doesn't mean he SHOULD.

I am 5'2 and usually 9 stone. I often ride ponies but I would consider myself too heavy for a 12.2, especially on those fine legs. At 11 stone, I'm afraid it wouldn't even enter my head.

Just my two pennarth!

You should ride my boy then, p1$$ him off and your off lol, he doesn't take nonsense.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I guess at the end of the day too, it is down to the individual. If OP is happy to ride a 12.3hh then why shouldn't she? Like wise showpony, you've said you wouldn't be comfortable riding your daughter's pony so that's fine!

I do think that we've been too conditioned over the years that adults shouldn't ride ponies but why not!!!!??!?!? H&H did great article only a few months ago which highlighted many of the issues that people are raising here.

Pony power is great! :)

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm still shocked people think 11stone is okay for 12.3 pony with fine legs! All these photos posted are of smaller riders or chunkier ponies. It's horses for courses, I'm sure some ponies are fine to carry 11st but the OPs doesn't look the sort.

I have to admit, I wouldn't be riding a pony of that type, or blanketly condoning it either... I do think some of the more sweeping statements on here have brought folk out to respond to ideas like "adults should just buy horses" :rolleyes:

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
ok will concede that I should have said mammals if being pedantic I think perhaps leafcutter ants are up there too

I always thought that Shetlands are the strongest equine pound for pound.
In fact I'd lay money on it the top 10 strongest equine's pound for pound are all ponies.

I personally don't do anything over 14.2hh - I'm a pony squisher (Welsh to be precise) and damn proud!
Those that think us adults shouldn't be on ponies, well you can keep your horses, we don't want them anyway, our ponies are way more fun :D

Last edited:

DanceswithCows

Visit site
Once we've both lost a bit of chub I'm perfectly happy to ride my shetland. She's overweight and doomed to a life on the lead rein when she's not in a starvation paddock otherwise. Sad, as she's a right little minx! I can't do it to her: I want her to be fit, and blast down a beach and then go home to run around a big field and eat lots of grass with the others. Plus, although she's short, her head is the same size as my app's, and her legs the same thickness. She's a big horse really, just not stretched out as much as the others.....

Copperpot

Visit site
I weigh 8 1/2 stone and wouldn't ride something that small. A few years ago when I weighed just under 8 stone I rode my friends 13.2 but I would feel bad now.

My Mum asked if my 17hh horse bucked cos I'd put on weight and was too heavy for him! Cheek.

katpower

Visit site
My 30 year old, not quite 12hh Welshie is currently teaching my partner to ride. Partner weighs about 65kg, rides with a halter and bareback pad. Pony makes most of the decisions. Pony hoons around like a maniac! He is definitely enjoying being ridden, shows no signs of being bothered by the weight, and my partner is very conscientious about slowing down or getting off when pony starts to get tired.
I weigh considerably more than 65kg :( so won't subject the pony to my bulk. My TB copes fine with me though :)

EstherYoung

Visit site
It's another of those 'it depends' answers isn't it. There are a lot of weedy, sickly, badly put together ponies out there who I wouldn't want carrying more than a teddy bear. But a decent, strong native should be OK with a small adult. I used to take my Shetland on EHPS pleasure rides. She always passed the vet and believe me there was no way anyone was going to get that mare to do anything she didn't want to do. Doing long distance kept her laminitis at bay for many years.

A lot of ponies aren't for kids, and even those who are good with kids often benefit from the odd bit of schooling from a competent rider, be that a small adult or a competent older child.

Patterdale

Visit site
Those that think us adults shouldn't be on ponies, well you can keep your horses, we don't want them anyway, our ponies are way more fun :D

But no one is saying that. My pony is a welshie and I'm definitely an adult.
Most people are just saying that yes, adults on ponies is fine, but 11st on a 12.2 is too much. I'm 9st and I wouldn't ride a 12.2 with legs like that one.

Alyth

Visit site
Surely it all depends on several things, the ability of the pony and what you are doing. I am around 11 stone and ride my 13.3hh purebred Arabian who has very dainty legs (dense like an elephant sponge if you know what they are and very very strong!!) She carries me fine up hills then I tail her down!! We don't go fast, walk and trot mainly and we both have FUN! I do not feel guilty riding her and she seems to be very happy. I am sure we could go faster and over little jumps quite easily if I were able to wear my big girl panties but I am just too scared to nowadays!! So imo you cannot make absolute judgements, we need to evaluate each case individually!!

eahotson

Visit site
Didn't realize the Dartmorrs can be stocky too.Always thought of them and Welsh Bs as very fine although I realized that a good old faishoned B probably was stocky.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I always thought that Shetlands are the strongest equine pound for pound.
In fact I'd lay money on it the top 10 strongest equine's pound for pound are all ponies.

I personally don't do anything over 14.2hh - I'm a pony squisher (Welsh to be precise) and damn proud!

Yes, but being realistic most adults are far too tall to comfortably ride a Shetland regularly.

I don't categorically think that adults belong on horses, I just think it is a question of applying common sense to the situation. At 11stone I would consider someone to be too heavy for our 16hh TB, however I would happily put them on a 14hh cob.

11stone on a 12.3hh fine pony is unacceptable, whether you are an 11stone child or an 11stone adult, and I wish people would buy horses/ponies capable of carrying their weight without doing the pony any long term damage.

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm 9 stone and wouldn't get on something under 13.2...

It's blanket statements about height that get me. You might have a 14hh, skinny legged show pony type with a lot of TB that isn't fit to carry any weight, and have a 13hh stocky thing like an Icelandic or Eriskay that would carry the weight much better. It's about type, not size.

khalswitz

Visit site
But no one is saying that. My pony is a welshie and I'm definitely an adult.
Most people are just saying that yes, adults on ponies is fine, but 11st on a 12.2 is too much. I'm 9st and I wouldn't ride a 12.2 with legs like that one.

And actually, Daremi *did* say that. They said that we should all get horses that can carry our weight. Hence the discussion re: ponies.

eahotson

Visit site
It's blanket statements about height that get me. You might have a 14hh, skinny legged show pony type with a lot of TB that isn't fit to carry any weight, and have a 13hh stocky thing like an Icelandic or Eriskay that would carry the weight much better. It's about type, not size.

Yes I agree with that

EmmaB

Visit site
I'm almost 11st and I ride my 3 yr old welsh c whos 13.2. He doesn't care, and of course they can show you if they are uncomfortable carrying a weight. I used to ride my 13.2 dales x I had before who was finer than him, although both were chunky-ish. I wouldn't ride a 13.2 who was really fine with spindly legs. I wouldn't want to ride something 15hh who was too fine and spidley!
My friend whos about the same weight rides her shetland out occasionally to keep him inline for the kids, he loves going for a blast with her and I'm certain he would dump her on the floor if he didn't want to!