Is it wrong?!

willtowin

Visit site
Sounds fine to me. Just remember that an older pony that has no potential to progress past its current level is, for you, a better option than a 4yo hot head with all the potential in the world for the same price :) and remember to find a decent trainer! Maybe also a friend who is more experienced, keeps their horse near your livery yard, and could take you along to events? Have you found a good livery yard yet? That should be on your list! :) and going to a couple of low key unaffiliated PC shows is definitely do-able too - it would be good to get some experience out competing - as well as lots of FUN - which is what it's all about! Don't get yourself too stressed about it because you're not good enough/at the same level as the PT kids. It's about having a fun experience :)

MissTyc

Visit site
I did junior eventing in another country (many moons ago now!) and it was masses of fun, but also huge pressure, expenses. My parents were not horsey but very supportive, financially and with their time, etc. The deal for me was that I had to keep my grades up at school - not easy when you're out travelling/competing every second Friday and needing to get to training, etc. With everything we threw at it, I was never good enough. My pony wasn't good enough ... and then I broke my knee and that was that.

Now as an adult, I am enjoying unaffiliated competitions with the odd day ticket ride, and yes, I would like to affiliate and perhaps produce something amazing, but priorities have changed to much I can't believe how much time and emotional energy I ever put into it.

I guess what I'm saying it, your PC idea seems more realistic. Competing is so much fun, but the pressure of the higher level is not suited to everyone and it's so worth getting as much experience as you can before throwing your expectations in the deep end (

sez1

Visit site
I have found 3, one which is just a paddock down the road which is good if There's no space at the livery yard. And then a livery 15mins away and another one nearer to school which is better quality.
I'm still looking out for cheap good quality second hand trailer under 2k and good ponies under 4k too

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Perhaps you need to ask your parents first about whether they can actually commit to keeping a pony for you. You really need to start listening and taking advice on board or you are likely to end up with a whole heap of trouble. You appear to have a very simplistic grasp of costs and that's never a good thing with horses, I was once asked to send a spreadsheet of costs to a potential client and my reply was that horses are cells in a formula if you break it down to cost you will end up broken hearted and broke

willtowin

Visit site
I have found 3, one which is just a paddock down the road which is good if There's no space at the livery yard. And then a livery 15mins away and another one nearer to school which is better quality.
I'm still looking out for cheap good quality second hand trailer under 2k and good ponies under 4k too

Just saying that if you plan to have a top FEI event pony - or even just a competition pony - you need a livery yard. As in, stables, and somewhere to ride it. And someone to look after it. There is no way that you could do that before and after school every day. It's a HUGE responsibility - and there aren't any mornings off because you're tired, or you have an exam, or you want to go on holiday. A trailer will be fine for now. But you will struggle to find a pony that has been round 1m PC ODEs for 4k. At the moment you need to look for a Steady Eddy, been there done that got the tshirt pony. You are definitely not looking for a just broken one. Really try and listen to the advice you're being given here.

sez1

Visit site
I have been through all costs and go quotes from insurance etc. there is someone available to look after it mornings and possibly the occasional evening. There is an arena an stables, good quality and floodlit.
I've been looking around and found some very good ponies on the PC site

morrismob

Visit site
I have been through all costs and go quotes from insurance etc. there is someone available to look after it mornings and possibly the occasional evening. There is an arena an stables, good quality and floodlit.
I've been looking around and found some very good ponies on the PC site

Great but have you asked your parents yet because you are going nowhere unless they agree. I suggest that you sit down and discuss it with them before going any further.

JandP

Visit site
Good luck with your parents. Remember pretty much everyone on here has been where you are now, and a lot of us are now adults/parents with financial responsibilities.

My father earned very good money when I was growing up, but you know he had a lot of other things to spend the money on - like houses and pensions and cars and my brother and sister!

I begged for years and years and years for my own pony. My parents wouldn't even entertain the idea until I'd been a riding school helper for a year - giving up all my weekends and holidays shoveling **** just to get near a pony! Finally, they bought me a pony! He was 25 years old and cost £300 with all his tack. I will tell you something - that pony was the best thing that ever happened to me. He taught me absolutely everything, and at the age of 25 taught me how to jump BE Novice fences (schooling - not in competition, that is a totally different kettle of fish).

I had a friend who did the PT with a pony her parents bought for £15k (and this was 20 years ago). Her parents had a lot of money and devoted every single second of their time towards competing and caring for the pony....she still didn't get on the team!

I reckon I had more fun though, with my scruffy little welshie who I could gallop around on bareback one day, and then go to a show and pick up a ton of rosettes the next day and then plonk back out in the field afterwards!

When you compete seriously it does take a lot of fun out of it, and believe me, at your age, you should be having fun.

sez1

Visit site
Yes I think I've realised that throughout this thread now. My aim it to get a good experience out of all this