Is there a difference??

DunRoamin

Visit site
Between 'Horse People' and 'People that have horses'??

I never beleived there was until recently, I've had horses for 14 years. been riding 20 and worked on a busy livery stables/riding school for 10 years first as a general stable hand and then as Yard Manager, Since moving to my new yard in july i've really spotted a differnce in the way people do things/handle situations, and people that claim to know what there doing actually not having a clue. is it just the way i see things or is this common??

Irishcobs

Visit site
This probably won't make sense.
I find there are people that are natural horse people and there are people that have horses.
The naturals have a connection with horses and the horses respond to them. The people that have horses look false, they try to hard.

Baileyhoss

Visit site
actually, our instructor was talking about this a few weeks ago. I think it's the difference between the people who have their riding lessons, read a few books, buy their own horse and pick up things from other people as they go along,
compared to those who have lived and breathed them since they were little, slaved at yards every weekend, afterschool and holiday in return for the odd 'free shot'. dealt with the fun and the hard side of horses, , hung out with and played with them, learned their language and developed that second nature and instinctive way of dealing with any situation they throw at you.

F x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
learned their language and developed that second nature and instinctive way of dealing with any situation they throw at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the critical bit.
smile.gif

kylie88

Visit site
IMO yes horsey people are as you say just know how to deal with them and just love being around them. People who own horses seem to be the ones that have them because it sounds good and a bit of a status thing if u ask me i know a few. they have them on full livery so they really dont have to touch them ride now and again and really dont have a clue about their own horses let alone horses in general.

btw im not saying everyone who keeps them on full livery are like this.

camilla4

Visit site
Yes, I think there is a difference - it may be the same thing but I think there is a difference, too, between people who love horses and people who just love riding!

SVMel

Visit site
Yep, I just came off a yard where the other girl, although having had horses all her life, was a definate 'person who owns horses' as opposed to a horse lover. Many's the time this horse or that horse had 'a home for life, even if i can't ride them' and shortly after were sent to dealers. She's gone through around 9 horses in the few years I've known her, and never takes advice, just says they aren't good enough for what she wants (even though she doesn't ride more than around 7 or 8 times a year max). Also, breeds for the sake of it, not for quality etc. Drives me MAD!!!!!

I like to compete in dressage and SJ, but the four I'm caring for aren't perfect for anything in particular. I just love them and am having a great time teaching them new things, learning from them and know that our first prelim or clear round will be a huge achievement and am looking forward to this year having fun!

Horse owners make me cross, horse lovers are few and far between, but they make me smile and you always know when you've met one!!!
grin.gif