Is there a knack for moving rubber mats?

Fools Motto

Visit site
As title.
I moved several (used, dirty, smelly) large mats earlier and probably looked like I was in a right pickle, being catapulted all over the place while they just 'stood' still. There must be a way to do it. Couldn't get grip on the damn things!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Get four G clamps from a hardwear store fix one to each corner and lift using the clamps as handles.

Fools Motto

Visit site
These won't roll - too thick and heavy, but I like the idea of the clamps! Genius!

I did manage, - I improvised, and felt very proud of my efforts which kinda worked... I put baler twine down and around the length to help me pull.. hope not to do it again anytime soon as it wasn't good for my hands, but got the job done, eventually! :eek:

Skyebald

Visit site
Mine are too heavy to roll up :confused:
I flip mine over an old broom handle and carry from each end - obviously need two people tho... otherwise i just struggle and try and drag them after folding over .. I def need longer arms :mad:

wipeout

Visit site
Worst job in the world. I use clamps now too after my non horsey but very practical father had to help me move them and asked why I hadn't already thought of it. Makes life much easier.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
These won't roll - too thick and heavy, but I like the idea of the clamps! Genius!

Clamps do sound good, I could only roll mine in one direction, usually not the direction I needed, though they were def easier to handle when tied up!

The other solution is to flog the heavy ones and buy EVA mats, which is what I've just done - what a revelation! I can move them so easily :cool:

Hedwards

Visit site
I use a big wheelbarrow (the ones with 2 wheels) pull one edge of the mat over the barrow and then fold the other edge on top (so its 'folded' over itself) and wheel to wherever its going...

Superhot

Visit site
Defo rubber gloves, then roll mat over a broom and lift mat by either end of the broom, assuming you have a good friend with you!!! Horrible job, particularly in this heat...

Suelin

Visit site
We use mole grips when we move ours. One on each corner and heave. Works fine but by golly they are heavy to shift.

Walrus

Visit site
Second the lunge line trick, just fold the mat over the lunge line then either get one person pulling each end or if you're on your own bring the ends together and pull. First time I saw this done it was a revelation, so clever.