Is there a market for 2nd hand stuff?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm pretty sure rhino wug half neck in a purple check, 5ft9 mediumweight. That one has got a repair (never lend things out I learnt!) But is otherwise good condition.
I think I also have a rhino standard neck no fill in either 6ft or 6ft 3 which was only worn a handful of times ever.
Possibly a mw/hw navy one as well in similar size.
The last 2 are up at mum's in shrops hence being vague on size, the purple one is here with me.
Let me know about 5ft 9/6ft, as always keeping an eye open for B x (obs after LL)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I'm pretty sure rhino wug half neck in a purple check, 5ft9 mediumweight. That one has got a repair (never lend things out I learnt!) But is otherwise good condition.
I think I also have a rhino standard neck no fill in either 6ft or 6ft 3 which was only worn a handful of times ever.
Possibly a mw/hw navy one as well in similar size.
The last 2 are up at mum's in shrops hence being vague on size, the purple one is here with me.

If the Rhino no fill is 6ft I would be very happy to buy it from you. 6ft 3 would be to big.

Kaylum

Visit site
you do know you can advertise your stuff on here for free don't you. I used it a few times but just looking the thread is still there in announcements from 2009 but the links dont work. Maybe we should ask for it to be opened up again.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
you do know you can advertise your stuff on here for free don't you. I used it a few times but just looking the thread is still there in announcements from 2009 but the links dont work. Maybe we should ask for it to be opened up again.
We've been permitted to advertise in the regional area section for quite a while, where you are based, which works for some.

Melandmary

Visit site
Not sure if region affects how well 2nd hand items sell. I am derbyshire/Notts area and have tried selling items on my local fb pages and people aren't buying or want stuff ridiculously cheap to the point of being annoying. These are really good quality items like snuggy hood rug used 3x antiweave grill that was less than a week old all priced at a quarter of retail value and no interest. I even advertised a wintec pony saddle for 50 quid Inc stirrups and leathers and people were offering me 40. Up north I sold and bought lots on fb. Maybe Yorkshire folk are tight after all ?

FireCracker238

Visit site
I've shed loads of stuff to sell but the 'Island of Ireland' regional board looks a bit sparse and not getting much traffic on Facebook either but they won't allow me access to the Marketplace because I'm too new, I'm hoping it's just a case of biding my time

Northern Hare

Visit site
I sold almost all of my horse stuff on eBay at the start of the year - I listed the items on the weekends where there was a max £1 selling fees offer, which save me hundreds of pounds.

I took loads of photos, gave good descriptions with loads of measurements (especially for things like exercise sheets which can be difficult to size). A lot of the stuff was by good makes - Lemieux, Mattes, Albion, WW etc.

In the end, I decided to list the items on 7 Day Auction listings, starting at £0.01 + a reasonable P&P, with no reserve. I was amazed by the amounts the items fetched tbh.

However, with all the comms, packing up the items and sending off etc, etc, I did feel like I was back in full-time employment, it was quite a lot of work, but worth it as the items I had tried to sell for much lower prices on the yards FB page made over £2k, with some items going to the US and Australia. It was lovely to hear back from the buyers, and I even received some lovely photos of the items in use in their new homes! ?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have sold loads on Facebook and Ebay. I prefer to put things on Ebay for £0.99 and see what happens, usually a lot of people find the advert as it's so cheap and then they all get notified when it's ending and there is a flurry of bids towards the end. Whereas i you start it nearer the price you want there are less bids as less people look at the advert.. Does that make any sense? You can also drop items sent with collect plus to a local convenience store, so no race to the post office in work hours! (and it's cheap!)
Things often sell for more than I thought they would as I am a bit of a tight ar*e. I recently sold 2 x used lunge lines for £11! Ebay do take 15% of what you sell it for, but you also don't have to deal with morons sending silly messages, time wasters and having people come to your house.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I've shed loads of stuff to sell but the 'Island of Ireland' regional board looks a bit sparse and not getting much traffic on Facebook either but they won't allow me access to the Marketplace because I'm too new, I'm hoping it's just a case of biding my time

If you are in Ireland your best bet is the group Preloved Tack Ireland.

I made a small fortune for animal rescues with second hand tack. I started by sorting through about 40 years worth of my own good quality English leather tack and selling it and giving the money to animal rescues here - then I got very bold and advertised and asked people to donate their old tack, which I then washed/repaired/revamped etc and advertised on Irish groups at reasonable prices. I managed to raise considerable funds for the rescues but unfortunately as it grew it became jolly hard work for my OH and I as we are getting on a bit, and it all went a bit pear shaped when we started asking for more hands on help. There is a lot of ego and bored women of a 'certain age' (sorry but that truly does describe a lot of them!) some not very honest rescues and some first class baitches - they spoilt it for the few really good ones so I pulled out in the end for the sake of my sanity.

But yes - a huge market out there if it is good quality, clean and undamaged items and clothing.

McFluff

Visit site
I had a clearout recently and used Facebook marketplace. I looked at prices for similar and thought ‘what would I pay?’
generally good quality kit, in good condition was about 50% of new price (eg fairfax girth).
everything sold quickly and easily.
buyers paid postage.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Massive market for second hand quality goods. In the first lockdown when you all tidied out your tack I bought your beautiful items and had them shipped to Australia.

Due to COVID supply chain to Aussie was a bit busted and our stores lacked the quality items. Lot of fluffy, wuffy and sparkly stuff in our stores but a bit Johnny come lately for me - and I loathe mass produced fast fashion type horse kit. So got on eBay UK and bought up a storm.

Obviously being on the other side of the world, I won’t use Marketplace. eBay has the process sorted.

I am desperate for English leather 5/8ths cob black cheek pieces or a whole English leather black cob bridle. Scanning eBay UK daily.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
8-12 weeks is more like normal delivery for custom saddles, I have a friend who's a fitter in Oz who is only just getting Wintecs that she ordered in October. We have materials stuck at sea (supplying much of the industry, small components), larger companies pushing out smaller companies for access to trees, the situation in Walsall is unbelievably challenging without social distancing and sickness absence here. AND we've had a shortage of skilled makers since the global recession where many were let go and went and got other jobs. And believe me, similar issues are affecting manufacturing of quality saddles in other countries. Look after your saddle fitters and makers, we're a threatened species.

chaps89

Visit site
Massive market for second hand quality goods. In the first lockdown when you all tidied out your tack I bought your beautiful items and had them shipped to Australia.

Due to COVID supply chain to Aussie was a bit busted and our stores lacked the quality items. Lot of fluffy, wuffy and sparkly stuff in our stores but a bit Johnny come lately for me - and I loathe mass produced fast fashion type horse kit. So got on eBay UK and bought up a storm.

Obviously being on the other side of the world, I won’t use Marketplace. eBay has the process sorted.

I am desperate for English leather 5/8ths cob black cheek pieces or a whole English leather black cob bridle. Scanning eBay UK daily.

Wow. I send a friend in Aus gifts from time to time and I know how costly the postage can be so I'm amazed that works out cost effective. Shame you don't want a brown bridle though, I've got one of those!

Silver Clouds

Visit site
... we've had a shortage of skilled makers since the global recession where many were let go and went and got other jobs. And believe me, similar issues are affecting manufacturing of quality saddles in other countries. Look after your saddle fitters and makers, we're a threatened species.

It's really sad how many traditional skills face being lost due to mass production and/or cheap foreign imports. About 15 years ago when I started earning enough to be able to be a bit more selective about what I buy- and became more knowledgeable about leather work- I started going out of my way to try to make sure that all the tack I bought was UK made. I had been a fan of Steuben bridles (still love the ones I have) but decided I'd rather spend the money on keeping the saddlery trade going in the UK. I would make an exception though if I needed to in order to accommodate the comfort of my horses.

I don't think that I am doing much to keep the industry going though as my tack seems to last for ever!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Saddle making will remain for sure, but individuals, and some businesses, are struggling and not because there is no market, as with some other industries with covid. Some fitters have been out working since last June but we're facing renewed challenges and it's really worrying for all of us, let alone the issue that horse with ill fitting saddles will have fewer choices. I might be sending out more of my groundwork sheets!

Foxglove

Visit site
I’ve sold a lot of items via Facebook- Mainly premium brands where I’ve gone off a colour or no long require.

As others have said it’s all to do with pricing. I tend to sell at 50% of retail. People want to think they are getting a bargain! I have bought on a couple of occasions but only when I feel there has been value, if someone is expecting to receive 75/80% of the original value, particularly if you don’t know it’s going to work or fit properly (a fancy girth for example) then I’d rather buy new and be able to send back that take a risk.

Archangel

Visit site
I am finally getting round to selling my original two horses' stuff and will probably go with FB marketplace or batch it up and put it through the tack section of a horse auction when they reopen. It has sat packed away in a trunk for 10 years. It will be like a time capsule when I open it. Lavenham Cosys, those flappy over reach boots.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I am finally getting round to selling my original two horses' stuff and will probably go with FB marketplace or batch it up and put it through the tack section of a horse auction when they reopen. It has sat packed away in a trunk for 10 years. It will be like a time capsule when I open it. Lavenham Cosys, those flappy over reach boots.

The over reach boots which are made of petals and make the 'clacking' noise? I love that noise, nostalgia for sure!