Is there a rug that is actually waterproof?

Elgar93

New User
Visit site
So I know that there probably isn't actually anything that will stand up to the sort of relentless rain we've had recently but I need the most waterproof rug money can buy for my new purchase. All 3 live out but the other 2 are happy fluffy and unrugged but new boy is a chestnut tb so thin skinned and doesnt seem to do fluffy so while he's happy enough living out, once his rug gets wet through he isn't so happy and we're currently out of action due to rain scald from a wet through rug I didn't swap quick enough. I was thinking something with a liner system that I can maybe buy 1/2 waterproof outters for and swap liners about for warmth as needed but I've not bought rug in over 15 years so I've no idea what's good and what's not anymore!

jnb

Visit site
My cob is out in his PE Titan 40g snug as a bug, never leaks (1680D outer)
Similarly his Weatherbeeta Comfitec Dynamic Plus Lite (0g) never leaks - 1200D outer.

Don't even think about anything below a 1200D outer if you want it to be truly waterproof. And......as the saying goes, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys (unfortunately!)

I like the WB ones - the Comfitec Ultra Tough Med/Lite is currently on offer and is 1680D outer plus takes the WB liners:

https://gsequestrian.co.uk/products...HsDyW0Lg7Qy6Iaf8HfetEPF7jedNlBrhoCS94QAvD_BwE

gallopingby

Visit site
It depends on the outer denier. Needs to be as high as you can afford 1680 and above. Rambo seem to be most waterproof and last the longest but are also £££s. Weatherbeeta also good as are Premier Equine if the Buster ones.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've got a couple of high end, high denier Weatherbeeta no fill rugs that don't leak even in very heavy rain and.ñ a Rhino Wug which is very good. I've rehomed an Amigo, a Gallop and a Pessoa which all leaked like sieves from day 1.

Getbackboys

Visit site
mine live out all year with no shelter so rugged accordingly ie 150g in midst of winter for warmth and rain proofing, currently only have 50g rugs on i have found a no fill is only for showers in summer, but 50g and upwards will stop seepage and the body heat will keep the rug dry from the inside out. i have not come across a rug with some filling that is below a 1200 denier, if it was mine being a tb i would pop a 100g combo on, pig oil on fetlocks and heels and knees and hocks so no mud fever, bobs your uncle, lots of hay

teddy_

Visit site
I have a 600 denier 50g Horseware Amigo that has stood up to even the most torrential downpours we have had recently ?‍♀️. I also have a 840 denier Shires Typhoon that is completely waterproof.

The waterproof properties of a rug are not linked to denier, it's the quality and style of the membrane that determine this.

sunleychops

Visit site
Get a high D outer and should be fine, 1680 ballistic would be a minimum if you want something super waterproof

Most cheap rugs are 600D and they are probably showerproof at best.

Also, if you only need a LW rain sheet, try opting for a 40/50g rug as the small amount of fillinf lifts it off the horses skin and maintains a better waterproof barrier

mini_b

Visit site
Rambo.
I had the outer with the liner system.
absolutely amazing rugs, I shared a field with a rug ripper as well.

(if I could afford to buy set again I would, currently make do with hand me downs and rotating dry ones!)

gallopingby

Visit site
I have a 600 denier 50g Horseware Amigo that has stood up to even the most torrential downpours we have had recently ?‍♀️. I also have a 840 denier Shires Typhoon that is completely waterproof.

The waterproof properties of a rug are not linked to denier, it's the quality and style of the membrane that determine this.
I think it depends where in the country you are! Constant torrential rain with wind requires a suitably robust rug. Maybe the rain in the south isn‘t as wet as the north or east?

sassandbells

Visit site
My cob is out in his PE Titan 40g snug as a bug, never leaks (1680D outer)
Similarly his Weatherbeeta Comfitec Dynamic Plus Lite (0g) never leaks - 1200D outer.

Don't even think about anything below a 1200D outer if you want it to be truly waterproof. And......as the saying goes, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys (unfortunately!)

I like the WB ones - the Comfitec Ultra Tough Med/Lite is currently on offer and is 1680D outer plus takes the WB liners:

https://gsequestrian.co.uk/products...HsDyW0Lg7Qy6Iaf8HfetEPF7jedNlBrhoCS94QAvD_BwE

This is the same as what I use, for two different horses mind but both wearing them right now and neither have leaked in this torrential rain.

asmp

Visit site
Mine live out in Ruggles these days. They've been naked or in rain sheets, fully clipped, but I managed to hit the yard just before the storm today and they're back in their 50g Ruggles combos again.
My no fill Ruggles leaks like a sieve - as does the no fill John Whittaker rug. Rhino are my go to now.

Totally agree with at least 1200 or 1680 rugs. I had an old Axiom which was cheap but 1680 and it was still waterproof even when falling to pieces (lasted for years)

Getbackboys

Visit site
hi i use ruggles i bought 2 no fill and they leaked terribly waste of money, but my 50g and upwards have worked in all weathers incl Beast of the East, maybe it was a bad batch of fabric…….

rextherobber

Visit site
The Weatherbeata Ultra Cozi turnouts are great, you can actually see the water beading on the surface of the rug, they have a belly flap, you can use a liner system with them, and have a wither relief pad. They stay put, don't rub, don't leak...They are a bit pricey though.

teddy_

Visit site
I think it depends where in the country you are! Constant torrential rain with wind requires a suitably robust rug. Maybe the rain in the south isn‘t as wet as the north or east?
Maybe, but the fact remains that denier and waterproofing aren't linked. It is likely that the more expensive (higher denier) rugs simply have a higher quality waterproofing treatment and membrane.

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

My Horseware Amigo leaked from day 1 but there are different rugs in that range, mine was an Amigo mío.

However my overall experience was that the 3 that leaked (different makes) were 600d. The 3 that didn't were 1000d or 1200d.

maya2008

Visit site
Almost anything in my experience so long as you never wash it. The cheap ones don't last long but they're waterproof for a winter or so - I've just picked up whatever the local feed store has for the last few winters and it's been fine. I only buy lightweight no-fill rugs as mine have full coats. This year we've got a Shires one that's fine, a Weatherbeeta (only rug that would fit little pony and had a neck!), a Rhinegold one that was last winter's and is still waterproof and a Ruggles that is three winters old and still waterproof. Last winter I had an Amigo rug (pony now deceased and doesn't fit anyone else). All waterproof, in whatever downpour there was, all winter. Best to keep them on the ponies though - if you take off to dry, the water seems to end up on the inside of the rug, but if you leave them on the ponies to dry, it doesn't.

teddy_

Visit site
My Horseware Amigo leaked from day 1 but there are different rugs in that range, mine was an Amigo mío.

However my overall experience was that the 3 that leaked (different makes) were 600d. The 3 that didn't were 1000d or 1200d.
Fair enough, but there's quite a lot of variation in terms of quality within the Amigo range. My 600 denier Amigo rug is from the Pony Plus range and as I said above, it really is waterproof.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My two are out in a lot of rain today, as they have been several times recently. Both in Rambos. Both will be 100% bone dry. I used to dash and bring in if it was torrential, don’t bother anymore.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For outdoor rugs I have never had a Rambo or Rhino leak. My first Rambo was sold, after 18 years of use, only because I sold the bog horses and had smaller ones.

I never wash an outdoor rug. Never 'reproofed' as paint, wash or spray on 're-proofer' is a short term fix. The waterproofness comes from the membrane within the rug, not from the surface.

I also don't use in the stable. I don't suppose pee and poo keeps a membrane in good condition.

Stable rugs, I have whatever has gussets and is cheapest. Still prefer a decent dernier as that is harder wearing and is resistant to poo stains on a grey!

Ratface

Visit site
All my rugs are either old Rambos or Weatherbeata. Had them for years, very rarely washed/reproofed. Still going strong.

SEL

Visit site
I had one in a weatherbeeta last night and she was dry under it - it has liners but I haven't clipped her yet so they're still in storage.. Shires, Ruggles have all leaked for mine.

Swish 50g are doing ok but they're quite new so no idea on long term use.

Will probably fork out for a Rambo for the youngster when I'm sure he's stopped growing