Is there anyone on HHO who disagrees with foxhunting?

Montyforever

Visit site
I disagree with hunting foxes with dogs, feel there are more humane and quicker ways to do it but agree foxes do need to be kept under control so I'm on the fence with it :eek: can't quite make up my mind tbh !

Enfys

Visit site
Plenty :)

ps, I have to say this, everytime that I read your name I automatically add troll to it...;)

Last edited:

cambrica

Visit site
I cannot bear to see any animal suffer - especially at the hands of human enjoyment. If it were badger baiting there would be national outrage or some exotic big cat it would cause worldwide condemnation. There are ways of dealing with problem animals that are acceptable and ways that are simply abhorrent. I prepare to be shot down.......

Jenny_Sinn

Visit site
Yes! 40 hounds vs 1 fox doesn't seem fair to me. It feels like a desire to maintain a tradition is getting in the way of finding a more humane method.
Not a popular opinion in the horsey world, lol.

(It also makes me cringe when I see them hammering on the road -ouch!)

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
In Australia, foxes are feral vermin that wreak havoc on our native fauna. My only objection to fox hunting on horses in Australia, is that it is not very efficient. I am not keen on dying but would rather die in moments at the paws of the hounds than die slowly from poison or in a trap.

tinap

Visit site
I'm not against the actual hunting, but there is no way on earth I would let mine go blasting down the roads & jumping barbed wire fences!! I like his legs too much :D

NeilM

Visit site
Ermm, I don't know if anyone has read the news lately, but hunting foxes with hounds is illegal and has been since 2005.

Badger baiting is also illegal, still goes on, and there is NO public outcry about it. While we are at it, what about dog fighting or cock fighting, both illegal...but strangely there is silence on the subject from LACS and the other anti groups.

So, before we all start pounding on about 40 hounds against 1 fox, lets try to get our facts straight shall we?

Spudlet

Visit site
NeilM next thing you will be expecting people to care about actual welfare issues more than pics of horses with unusual tack... :p

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
I'm against in principal, to terrorise and kill and animal in the name of sport goes against the grain with me. I feel the same way towards bull fighting.

Just because the likes of bull fighting is legal doesn't in my eyes therefore make fox hunting acceptable. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I do however think it's wrong for city folk to interfere with the lives and tradition of country folk, and that is really how the ban has come about which is wrong.

scrunchie

Visit site
Ermm, I don't know if anyone has read the news lately, but hunting foxes with hounds is illegal and has been since 2005.

Badger baiting is also illegal, still goes on, and there is NO public outcry about it. While we are at it, what about dog fighting or cock fighting, both illegal...but strangely there is silence on the subject from LACS and the other anti groups.

So, before we all start pounding on about 40 hounds against 1 fox, lets try to get our facts straight shall we?

^This

Tbh I was always anti hunting and shooting until I lived in the countryside and realised what ***** foxes are. Now, I sit on the fence over foxhunting and have no qualms over shooting.

I'd love to have a go at hunting just for the experience but I'm not that brave. Maybe one day..!

Shantara

Visit site
I hate it. People say foxes are over populated? I live in the middle of the country and it's such a rare occasion that I actually see one. It gives me such a thrill to see a wild fox, but when cars and hunts are killing them...No, I can't agree with that.

One of my extremely rare sightings!
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/gothic180/Fox011-1.jpg

Like Welshie said, I don't like people interfering and sabotaging hunts, that can get downright nasty.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
Crickey I live in Surrey and see plenty of foxes. In fact when I lived in Fulham I STILL saw foxes...had to be careful dog walking first thing!

Good point though... There is no such thing as fox hunting! Oddly enough I sometimes wonder if this entire mess hasn't actually helped the conception of hunting...

But if you want to get emotive can we look at some thing that is happening and being ignored? Dog fighting and dog baiting. Increasing in our so called civilised society. Now that I can get steamed up about

Merlin11

Visit site
i used to be against it but now i have horses i can see why people do it and i think a lot worse things happen to animals. i wouldn't do it myself and personally love to see a wild fox about - they keep the rabbits down which make big holes in my horses fields! unfortunately the farmer here regularly has the foxes shot so we are overrrun with rabbits! also don't like shooting especially if anywhere near my horses. but realise that some animal management has to take place.

Morgan123

Visit site
What would be a more humane and quicker method??

Shooting them? I just don't see why hunting (with a pack of hounds) is necessary. I know people say shooting is not ideal either, whihc I'm sure is true (misfiring, etc etc), but it is still better than being chased and ripped apart.

Also - to the poeple saying it doesn't exist anymore - it may be banned, but come on - we all know it still goes on all over the place. And even the legal stuff - you can still chase the fox with the hounds, just not kill it wiht the hounds. I think the chasing is just as bad as the killing, imo.

cambrica

Visit site
Echo Annielusion,
We are seriously overrun with rabbits, many with mxy, constantly filling in small cities of warrens and not a fox to be seen. Even the increase in Buzzards/Kites aren't having impact. Used to watch the most beautiful deep red male fox on a summers eve but he eventually got run over.
As for dog fighting etc in our area the increase is due to the increase in a certain ethnic population that our local council seem to be powerless against.

forestfantasy

Visit site
The reason we don't see many foxes in the countryside anymore is due to the fact that they have moved into towns & cities.
'Why bother chasing a rabbit when i can empty this wheelie bin and scavange in here? Much easier!'

The towns are where the problems lie IMO - fast food chains & supermarkets etc that are irresponsible about keeping discarded food secure - these foxes are the ones that need addressing.

I've seen 1 fox in my entire life living in the countryside but seen at least 4 trotting about outside Asda in my local town!

scrunchie

Visit site
I wouldn't mind foxes if they ate what they killed but they don't. They cause utter carnage if they get into a henhouse. They kill for fun.

A farmer by us let his wife nag him into buying llamas to control the foxes. They're useless and he still loses lambs to foxes. :D

Shantara

Visit site
forestfantasy - Very true! That's why I don't really get fox hunting. Leave them in the country where they are needed to keep down rabbit and other populations naturally and let cars deal with the fox. Goodness knows they kill enough.

The problem in the towns and cities is poisoning. Too many of my friends have lost pets through poison left for foxes and rats. You can't shoot there or having horses and hounds cantering through.

scrunchie

Visit site
forestfantasy - Very true! That's why I don't really get fox hunting. Leave them in the country where they are needed to keep down rabbit and other populations naturally and let cars deal with the fox. Goodness knows they kill enough.

They don't just kill rabbits though do they? They kill all manner of small animals and livestock. And as I said, they kill for fun. They won't just kill one chicken, they will kill all the chickens in a coop.

fburton

Visit site
Tbh I was always anti hunting and shooting until I lived in the countryside and realised what ***** foxes are.
Nuisances? Yes, they certainly can be!

I hate it. People say foxes are over populated? I live in the middle of the country and it's such a rare occasion that I actually see one.
Fox populations are largely self-regulating, numbers being limited by space available for territory. It doesn't really matter how many are killed each year, the population recovers within a year or two. Therefore, concerns that there would be a population explosion without culling are unwarranted. There is evidence to support this in what happened due to the temporary hunting ban that occurred during the foot-and-mouth outbreak. In any case, many more foxes are killed on the roads than by deliberate hunting/culling. Of course, it can always be argued that the natural population level (i.e. what it would stabilize at without culling) is too high and this used to justify hunting. However, I have some sympathy for local fox control where particular individuals ("rogue foxes") are killing livestock.

ROG

Visit site
Does it really take more than one good dog to follow the scent of a fox?

If one dog was used then the rest of it seems like great fun

forestfantasy

Visit site
They don't just kill rabbits though do they? They kill all manner of small animals and livestock. And as I said, they kill for fun. They won't just kill one chicken, they will kill all the chickens in a coop.

I agree with this ^^ However would you prefer them running riot in your town?
It's up to farmers etc who have chickens to make sure they are totally secure.
We have chickens on our farm and we haven't had any issue with foxes because we know to keep them secure.

cambrica

Visit site
No I agree they dont just kill rabbits but I live in more fear of my neighbours cat than I do a fox when it comes to my chickens, not to mention domestic cats wiping out wild bird populations but we wouldn't dream of setting the hounds on them.

scrunchie

Visit site
What is your evidence for saying foxes kill for fun? Isn't it just instinct? It seems to me they are no better or worse than any other non-human animal that is doing what it is naturally programmed to do.

They just seem to do it for fun. Ok, I've got no evidence as to what a happy fox looks like but it's the fact that they will destroy and kill as many animals as a cage will hold and leave the carcasses there (not eat them) suggests that they don't kill simply because they need to.