Is there anything you actually prefer cheaper versions/brands of

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Just reading through loads of Facebook stuff about Aldi and the inevitable it's rubbish, you get what you pay for in Equine equipments arguements.
Now, I drove past Aldi tonight and wasn't even tempted to look, I only buy decent brand rugs etc. Not because I'm a snob or label fan but bevause they last better, fit better and generally much tougher.
It did make me wonder though, Is there anything that you rate cheap and cheerful as your preferred?

I have spent a fortune on boots in the past but always go back to basic single lock Woof Brushing boots. One of the cheapest on the market but I love the fit, they never slip and wash well.
What's your cheapy recommendation?!

DD

Visit site
yes Aldi stuff! have bought cheap brands in the past and they have been awful have horsewear and shires rugs which are both good. Aldi are cheap but worth it they are decent quality and last long enough to get your moneys worth

fishy

Visit site
Hay nets! Mine seem to eat them and they never last very long so I usually buy cheap ones. I have bought expensive ones and they still end up full of big holes (double netted for greedy ponies). Not sure I can justify 6 trickle nets😳

JJS

Visit site
Shires rugs. They're cheap, cheerful, wear well, and seem to fit every horse I've ever had, from the dainty Welsh B to the Thoroughbred to the HW cob.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
yes Aldi stuff! have bought cheap brands in the past and they have been awful have horsewear and shires rugs which are both good. Aldi are cheap but worth it they are decent quality and last long enough to get your moneys worth
Are the rugs actually ok?! The 600d puts me off tbh. I'd consider cheaper but only decent denier fabric. However of course like you say if they last long enough then it's worth a shot?!
Magic gloves! Yes 😂
Shires turnouts I quite like but don't find the stay waterproof year in year out like some. They fit nicely though and I do have a few.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Decathlon breeches - especially the waterproof Kipwarm ones! £30 instead of the £200 Pikeur ones that stop being waterproof very quickly.
Bits - Cotswold Sport do some spot-on Neue Schule and Sprenger copies, usually for less than half the price of the named brand ones.

Gsmith

Visit site
I agree with woof wear boots, they just do what they need to do!

I will happily buy cheaper stable rugs but buy the best quality turnouts I can, even if that's secondhand.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a Cotswold sport bit also! New horses old owner told me he was uber fussy and his bit cost a fortune. Got a perfect copy for less than half price

meleeka

Visit site
I always go back to Weatherbeeta rugs. They are far superior than the PE rug I bought imo. The outer isn't as thick, but the PE rug that I paid over twice the price for doesn't fit as well, isn't totally waterproof and therefore heavy when wet, has a couple of snags in it whereas I have Weatherbeeta rugs that are 7 years old and still fine.

Paddle brushes from Primark are far better than mane and tail brushes.

Boots for me I agree you get what you pay for.

Oh I nearly forgot my chinese copy of Heiniger clippers. They were £50 new on eBay and aside from OH replacing a couple of bushes inside (£4) they've been great for about 5 years. All the Heiniger parts fit so easy to replace for someone capable.

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Shires rugs. And fly rugs in general - the expensive ones never seem to last 5 minutes.
Hate magic gloves - my fingers are far too long for them so they just duckify me

windand rain

Visit site
never pay over the odds for anything I usually try hard to find non equine labelled alternative if no alternative I shop around for the cheapest version

ponies4ever

Visit site
agree with the comment on shires rugs they are fantastic! actually all shires leather stuff i love! my bridle has lasted beautifully and no creases after 2 years.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
never pay over the odds for anything I usually try hard to find non equine labelled alternative if no alternative I shop around for the cheapest version
Don't get me wrong, I can't go and splash out on new Rambo's as and when but last winter I sold lots of rugs and bought two Duo's with liners in the sales.
I hunt like mad for bargains but I like quality brands cheap ;)

Julia0803

Visit site
I have found axiom rugs last really well. I have two one with a neck and one without.

They were bought at 300g and I don't think they are but, they are the only rug that has lasted well. Pony is in a field surrounded by thorny hedges and as a field of young geldings they play rough together too. They are the only rugs I own that have no tears. I've had them since 2012.

They seem to be a bit more expensive now. I bought them for about £40 inc p+p. Unfortunately they only do two weights.

Cobbytype

Visit site
I like magic gloves too.

Fleece rugs: the more expensive brands don't seem much different to the cheapies. I've just bought a Derby House fleece rug for £14.99 which fits nicely and looks good.

Brushes: I get the padded pimple brushes from the 99p shop or Primark and they're great for manes, tails and muddy patches. They probably don't last as long as the equine equivalents, but they're a bit softer and kinder than the rigid equestrian pimple versions.

Lintel

Visit site
I love Aldi's gloves and there jodphurs are pretty damn good too.
Decathalon jodphurs i also find great! Don't think I have any "branded" joddies anymore.
I prefer DH rugs for the boy as they fit him better than weatherbeeta, PE etc. - do love shires though!
I think vegetable oil does just a good a job as hoof oil... That being said my boy has rock hard feet.

My cheapo Robinson's nets have survived where other nets that cost me £20+ because of the brand name and function.

Boulty

Visit site
I am a lover of cheapo magic gloves and decathlon softshell jods. I also really like gold label grooming products (esp their herbal shampoo and equigloss) as opposed to some of the more expensive brands out there

Fiona

Visit site
Decathlon softshell breeches for me too...

And ruggles rugs.

And mountain warehouse softshell jacket from their outlet store. About £20.

Fiona

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I wear Decathlon cheap rubber boots and thin cotton jods. I use Gallop or other rugs bought off t'internet because I like to throw them away not wash or mend them. I buy six rugby shirts at a time off eBay for yard duties. Gloves are packs of cotton pimple gardening gloves from B&M or Poundstretcher (identical to riding gloves sold for three times as much). I'm using sheep fleece as fibre on my arena and it's flipping brilliant! I very rarely by brands, I think most of them, especially in the horse world, are a terrible rip off.

But, I have become a total convert to Red Horse hoof products. Brilliant stuff. Never use anything but Canter Silk mane and tail conditioner because I don't find the others work as well. Always buy Saxon equileather joddie boots because they fit and work for me. And completely swear by WOW saddles, they're &;×)=+)#£#!! brilliant.

Last edited:

alice1234

Visit site
Decathlon (Fouganza is their horsey brand)
I have 2 pairs of everyday jods from there and they're the comfiest and warmest ones I have, and I've had them for over 3 years! One pair got a tiny hole in the knee but only needed a stitch to mend it. They only cost me £10 each, but from the kids section.
Also have a v good quality fouganza saddle pad which was around £15, and I always get gloves and riding socks from there.

alice1234

Visit site
Oh one more cheap thing I like - I got a ski jacket just for riding and mucking out in from lidl's ski week last winter and it's far warmer and more waterproof than my old ariat coat.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Decathlon (Fouganza is their horsey brand)
I have 2 pairs of everyday jods from there and they're the comfiest and warmest ones I have, and I've had them for over 3 years! One pair got a tiny hole in the knee but only needed a stitch to mend it. They only cost me £10 each, but from the kids section.
Also have a v good quality fouganza saddle pad which was around £15, and I always get gloves and riding socks from there.

I'm a very recent Decathlon convert. I just bought one of their fleeces. It cost me £25 and is incredibly thick and really good quality! It doesnt stretch or slip back and is enough even in minus temps to act as a LW stable rug

16265977_10154405459328667_625592067191855820_n.jpg

Leo Walker

Visit site
I also got one of their drying rugs, which again is good quality and seems to do at least as good a job as the expensive Rambo ones. Its like a massive chamois leather crossed with a microfibre cloth. Very odd but does a fantastic job of sucking water from wet horses

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Aldi may well be classified as cheap & cheerful but several years ago we bought a couple of 'Crane' dayglo yellow exercise sheets for our horses. We are still using them today & they just as bright as they were when we first bought them. They were a fraction of the cost of most exercise sheets. I think you just have to examine what you are buying & consider the quality of the item against cost & make your decision, as with any purchase. If they come on sale again I'd recommend them to anyone. :)