Is there such a thing as a straight forward horse?

NooNoo59

Visit site
Sunday afternoon musings, after a very agitated ride this morning on my boy I am wondering is there such a thing as a straight forward horse? One where could go out or in the school and not worry about spooking over reacting will walk and trot in a straight line and not wiggle and bounce all over the place and also not constantly snatch the reins out of your hands, it was such a nice morning but I couldnt wait to get off! Thoughts?

humblepie

Visit site
Yes. Previous ex racehorse straight away. Current ex racehorse very straightforward just needed confidence but the most straightforward horse to handle. Don’t despair just keep on developing education.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I think there are plenty of straight forward horses. I think people make straight forward horses unstraightforward horses. I am NOT saying this is the case with the OP or anyone else on here as I don’t know them or their horses. I am going on what I have witnessed irl.
They do , thats how the poor things end up a ‘project’

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Down to us to make them good, straight forward citizens and to give them good reasons to be good for our enjoyment.

But, add in poor early years handling, some breed traits, poor breaking and riding away and a variety of other reasons, many won't be straight forward when they arrive with an experienced owner.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I think horses are born with a set of in-built characteristics that make them pretty straightforward. They are naturally curious and co-operative. And they like to get along with others and generally seek peace. They like consistency and clarity. We get in the way of that with our confusing, inconsistent, ego driven, goal oriented or adversarial behaviours. But there are plenty of straightforward horses still out there!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I don't know if it helps much but mine is much less likely to spook (and certainly dramatically spook) at 10, rather than 7. And of course, that makes me more confident, which probably helps too.

Equally, I have previously worked at a trekking centre/riding school, and they definitely had some lovely horses who I would have described as straightforward, even those who could step up a gear with more experienced clients. However, I would equally say they were in work (not necessarily hard work, but doing something) 4-5 days a week for most of the year, turned out when not working, and not on a lot of hard feed (in the summer most had no hard feed at all). They were also kept in a consistent routine in fairly consistent herds. However, there were also some who came, and even given a good chance, did not quite make the grade for what was needed.

I also think that horses with the sensitivity to be e.g. good dressage horses are far more likely to be sensitive to other things as well.

But yes, I think there are lots of straightforward horses out there still!

maya2008

Visit site
Absolutely. Even my TB was a dope on a rope in full work as an adult. I buy for temperament, spend six months out hacking after backing, and get lovely easy rides as a result. Took two young ponies out today, with 3 year old children on board. Was windy, ponies didn’t bat an eyelid and looked after the kids on and off lead. Easy, relaxed, fun.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Absolutely! I think human attitude & the partnership you build up, has a lot to do with it.

I generally try to build up the best partnership I can with the horse, do the (boring) leg work without too much complaint and then quietly laugh to myself when other's express how 'lucky I am to have had such 'easy'' horses 🤣

They become 'easy' because they are exposed to life (with appropiate hand holding if required) and I don't expect life to stop just because they happen to be tied up on the yard or out on a hack.

honetpot

Visit site
Yes, I have owned at least eight of them. The one's that were less staright forward, that I bought in you just needed to work out what the deal is so they can see the point of doing something, and what buttons not to press.

gallopingby

Visit site
I have a couple of straightforward ones at the moment ……..also a couple who are less straightforward 😂 l think it’s worth looking at bloodlines and ‘family’ characteristics, some mares consistently produce offspring who turn out sane, sound and sensible.

Skib

sites.google.com
I think horses are born with a set of in-built characteristics that make them pretty straightforward. They are naturally curious and co-operative. And they like to get along with others and generally seek peace. They like consistency and clarity. We get in the way of that with our confusing, inconsistent, ego driven, goal oriented or adversarial behaviours.
I dont agree entirely. Everything changes for a horse when you put the weight and balance of a rider on its back. I have only once or twice ridden a young horse (6 years old) and they dont automatically go srtraight. One needs to create the straightness with ones hands and legs, as well as teach the cues for transitions. Look at the books by the vet Sara Wyche, which include The Anatomy of Riding, Understanding the horse's legs, and Understanding the Horse's back.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I think horses are born with a set of in-built characteristics that make them pretty straightforward. They are naturally curious and co-operative. And they like to get along with others and generally seek peace. They like consistency and clarity. We get in the way of that with our confusing, inconsistent, ego driven, goal oriented or adversarial behaviours. But there are plenty of straightforward horses still out there!
So beautifully put.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I do think some breeds are more inclined to be straightforward though…but I guess that’s also down to breeding and therefore human intervention.

Widgeon

Visit site
I dont agree entirely. Everything changes for a horse when you put the weight and balance of a rider on its back. I have only once or twice ridden a young horse (6 years old) and they dont automatically go srtraight. One needs to create the straightness with ones hands and legs, as well as teach the cues for transitions. Look at the books by the vet Sara Wyche, which include The Anatomy of Riding, Understanding the horse's legs, and Understanding the Horse's back.

Surely that is just a schooling thing though? You can have a horse who is green but straightforward....they don't have to walk in a straight line to be straightforward (one of the many quirks of the English language :rolleyes: ).

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I can vouch for this.. currently teaching Orby not to be wonky 😂

Boulty

Visit site
Yes there are straightforward horses, although I’ll admit I’ve owned precisely ONE 😂 & even he had slightly dodgy brakes and a spook in him if he was feeling that way out.

Fuzzball might be eventually but for now he’s young enough to need his hand holding sometimes / to find certain things difficult.

The Welsh D I came to realise could suddenly teleport in any direction for any reason at a split seconds notice. Only horse I’ve ridden that could for one thing NOTICE a bit of grass that was too green and then spook sideways at it mid gallop. He did learn to be semi sensible most of the time but was never a horse you could let your guard down on. You just basically had to be always prepared to leap sideways or come to a sudden stop!

Fingers crossed things get better with yours / you can get to the point you can laugh about it.