Is there such a thing as a straight forward horse?

IrishMilo

Visit site
Yes there is but who wants one of them? It’s the quirks that make them fun and keep it interesting IMO 😊

Different people have different ideas of quirky. My version of quirky is stands on it's back legs, rodeo bucking or put you in a ditch if a sparrow farts 2 miles away. Whereas I have friends whose idea of quirky is taking a few faster steps in canter. We're all different and like/tolerate different things. And having spent the last 20 years riding quirky, I bloody love my straight forward horse!

littleshetland

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, but I was thinking about your question and I think Its a bit like asking if there's such a thing as a straightforward person. You could take 2 horses who are completely fit and healthy and they'd still differ. They all have different personalities - just like people, and have different ways of expressing themselves. One of mine is a bit of a worrier about things, but because he's so brave...he'll tackle anything for me (shark infested puddles - he's deeply suspicious of) but you only need to ask him once and he'll plough on regardless because he's brave and wants to please. The other one will need a bit of gentle persuading, and puts up much more of an objection because he's genuinely scared of stuff and not nearly so brave - we get there in the end. I love their differences!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think there's lots of varying definitions of straightforward on this thread, and by some people's definitions, every horse I know, and nearly every horse I've ever known is straightforward!

I don't want anything quirky in the sense of regularly rears, bucks etc etc. I don't mind a little bit spooky as long as they're not dangerous with it- often I think it's a sign a horse has a brain because they're thinking about and aware of their surroundings. I rode a young(ish) horse for a little while a few years back who was in many ways safe as houses, wouldn't think to spook, never reared bucked etc etc. You could put a novice on him and certainly in company they'd be fine. Pleasant to ride on the flat, but when we started introducing poles and jumping he just couldn't get the hang of it. He'd trip over things, mess up distances, clatter through jumps and never really seemed to get the hang of it. I absolutely refused to jump anything solid on him because I thought it would be dangerous. He wasn't brilliant on difficult terrain, either, and if e.g. a tree had come down out hacking that another horse could step over, I'd often turn around and go back because I'd be worried he'd just fall over it.

On the yard he was incredibly straightforward to do, and in many ways a lovely horse, but in some ways probably the most unsafe I've felt on a horse too!

Of course, the really clever ones learn things you don't want them to as well, like how to undo their stable door, or how to get through the fence in the field etc!

Annagain

Visit site
I've had a back issue since last December which means that between December and Feb and then March and September I sat on Wiggy 6 times(my sharer had been riding him). One of those times was the riding clubs area dressage qualifier. I committed to it in early March when I thought I was getting better but then got worse again. We were struggling to fill a team so I said I'd give it a go. I literally arrived, got on him 5 minutes before my test had a very quick trot on each rein and then did my test pretty much one legged as my right leg was so painful and weak. Half way through my test it dawned on me that I hadn't even schooled him on grass before, let alone done a test, the only cantering on grass I'd done was out hacking in straight lines or on fun rides with jumps in the way. I hadn't even thought about it and I'm a worrier normally! We got 68% and came third. He also hacks like a dream and other than occasionally being a sod to catch in summer is perfect on the ground. I think you can call him straightforward.

Last edited:

Skib

sites.google.com
I reported that I ride a straightforward, utterly safe horse but today something spooked her in trot and she bucked and ran away with me. The yard suggest that what I call her spooked canter is really a gallop and have given me some hints on how to stop it next time. Today I failed to stop her so decided to let her run as she was very likely eventually to stop of her own accord.

Big question. We added a grab strap for my safety (I am an elderly lady) so I grabbed it but how can I use the reins to stop the horse when I am clutching the grab strap so as not to fall off sideways? The good news is that I didnt fall off but I was the most scared I have ever been on a horse.

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I reported that I ride a straightforward, utterly safe horse but today something spooked her in trot and she bucked and ran away with me. The yard suggest that what I call her spooked canter is really a gallop and have given me some hints on how to stop it next time. Today I failed to stop her so decided to let her run as she was very likely eventually to stop of her own accord.

Big question. We added a grab strap for my safety (I am an elderly lady) so I grabbed it but how can I use the reins to stop the horse when I am clutching the grab strap so as not to fall off sideways? The good news is that I didnt fall off but I was the most scared I have ever been on a horse.

You need grab strap of right length / In right place that can still hold reins.

Longer grab strap / add large breastplate or try R-stor or saddle cloth strap. Needs to be long enough can hold strap and use reins.

NooNoo59

Visit site
Reading these comments I realise mine is not straight forward, he is anxious but has been a nice ride in the past, rehabbed for six months came back quite sweetly, but behaviour has got worse again. With the comments I have had on the videos I think he is still uncomfortable and thats the reason, but the vet thinks he looks sound on the videos, not sure really what to do next.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Reading these comments I realise mine is not straight forward, he is anxious but has been a nice ride in the past, rehabbed for six months came back quite sweetly, but behaviour has got worse again. With the comments I have had on the videos I think he is still uncomfortable and thats the reason, but the vet thinks he looks sound on the videos, not sure really what to do next.
Get a second vet opinion? It can't hurt

IrishMilo

Visit site

I'd get a second opinion. I'm really surprised the vet thinks he's sound.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I got as far as seeing the transition to trot and knew he wasnt right. That leap he does is because he hasnt got the power to make the transition properly. I'm sorry OP, hes a beautiful pony but hes not sound :(

SEL

Visit site
Those are the videos the vet saw? There's a fair few "tells" there - that head twisting, tail carriage, the hop into trot apart from the fact that he doesn't look sound behind

I think another vet should have a look OP

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ah that's not ideal, Vet hospital might have to be your next move then. He barely takes a sound step throughout those videos, is corkscrew head tossing, not tracking up and bunny hops in canter so they should have plenty to go on in a fresh lameness workup.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
100% uncomfortable behind unfortunately. I cant see how the vet thinks he looks sound along side the head tossing, tail swishing and ears back.
Do you have any local horspitals near by for a full work up?