Is there such a thing as sustainable brushes?

jkitten

Visit site
I assumed there would be, but the two companies I turned up on Google who claimed to have 'sustainable grooming equipment' seem to have dispensed with brushes altogether, so maybe not? I don't want anything fancy, just a hoofpick (ideally with brush attached), curry comb, body brush and soft brush. I've seen a bunch of wooden ones so if I can't find anything that claims to be sustainable I'll just get some of those, but I thought I'd ask on here for recommendations first!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
You could buy ones made out of natural materials although I'm guessing they'd be expensive, but they last longer and perform better and will ultimately decompose apart from any metal bits.

My old farrier used to make fantastic hoof picks out of old bucket handles which he heated in his forge and bent into shape. I got a load off him for children's one year and I've still got several that are 20+ years old.

jkitten

Visit site
Thanks, honestly after looking around that sounds like the best plan to me. I don't have an equine shop in range unfortunately, so ordering online. What do people think of Le Mieux?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have sustained mine for 30+ years including 5 years working with horses. Buy good brushes and look after them.
this
My favourite brushes are getting on in years, good quality lasts well. For a thorough groom i like horsehair brushes. I have a really old HAAS plastic curry that is great for knocking mud off and cleaning the other brushes. Tie a hoofpick to a bucket for the mud to collect in and you'll never lose it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the horse world, like most other aspects of life is subject to a lot of novelty and fashion but i think buying stuff you really rate and that is well made is the way to sidestep temptation :)

looking for natural materials I used some Borstiq brushes once, but found them too big and heavy to be comfortable. Some of mine have wood backs but they are less cumbersome than those, I'm not sure what make my favourite one is but it's similar to HAAS.

jkitten

Visit site
Thanks Millie, I completely agree, I'm a big fan of buying quality and then looking after it for as long as I can. Also you bring up a good point re weight of wooden backing. I like the look of the Le Mieux Flexi range, am going to start a separate thread asking for opinions on those if nobody minds. :)

gryff

Visit site
Have you looked at the Borstiq brushes. I have a set in the banana shape and find them really easy to hold. The bristles are all natural fibre and the handles are wooden, so I assume they'd be as sustainable as possible. I've had mine 10+ years and pop them in the dishwasher once every now and then.
The Lemieux heritage range are nice, too. But I find those more bulky to hold.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
'Sustainable' is sort of an over used green-washing term - very few products are truly sustainable because to make anything requires the extraction of raw materials, burning fossil fuels for the production process in factories (which are almost always overseas in the Far East), often under-paid, over worked labourers etc.

E.g. those LeMieux brushes may be made of wood, but that does not necessarily make them more eco friendly than plastic if the wood is sourced from rainforest which is not re-grown. It makes it difficult for us as consumers to buy anything in good faith, without asking 100 questions, and even then many companies will be vague with their answers.

The most sustainable thing you can ever do is buy 2nd hand, however if you do need to buy new, try to buy the highest quality you can so they will last for many years :)

jkitten

Visit site
That is an excellent point re buying second hand! Shame there's no Buying and Selling subforum on here. Anyone have some brushes they'd like to offload? :D

stangs

Visit site
I’ve got some brushes that will probably never get the chanced to be used unless I get rid of them - I’ll have a look to see if I can find them for you. Last time I looked, I found the empty grooming kit bag and nothing else!

honetpot

Visit site
I have a leather backed brush which I bought with my first job 45yrs ago. Most of my grooming kit is over thirty years old, even the plastic curry comb, with worn teeth. Sustainable is buying good quality and not replacing it, I have some of my original electric fence posts bought in 1988, they must be better quality plastic, after about 1995 the new ones started breaking more often.