Is this acceptable?

Sealine

Visit site
Is it acceptable to keep a 6 month old newly weaned foal on a livery yard in a stable on it's own where it can't see any other horses (it can hear them). Owner visits once and day and takes it for a short walk and grazing in hand with no turn out. The stable is large in relation to the foal.

Opinions please.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Is it acceptable to keep a 6 month old newly weaned foal on a livery yard in a stable on it's own where it can't see any other horses (it can hear them). Owner visits once and day and takes it for a short walk and grazing in hand with no turn out. The stable is large in relation to the foal.

Opinions please.
😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Sealine

Visit site
Thanks. Just sanity checking my own thoughts on this situation. Livery yard owner is non-horsey and thinks it's ok because apparently the breeder says it's ok. The breeder gave the foal away. We've tried to talk to the owner and the yard owner but apparently we are out of order and it's none of our business. I'm so upset about the poor little thing. It's been there a few weeks now with no plan to change anything.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks. Just sanity checking my own thoughts on this situation. Livery yard owner is non-horsey and thinks it's ok because apparently the breeder says it's ok. The breeder gave the foal away. We've tried to talk to the owner and the yard owner but apparently we are out of order and it's none of our business. I'm so upset about the poor little thing. It's been there a few weeks now with no plan to change anything.
Call WHW. It’s absolutely appalling treatment. You may also want to let the YO of their responsibility with regards duty of care.

You can also put a call in to your local council animal control and lisencing department to report your concerns.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Opinions please.
No that's just cruel it must be climbing the walls.

Abacus

Visit site
I agree that it is totally unacceptable. Out of interest (and it won’t change that opinion) how is the foal coping with this regime?

Sealine

Visit site
I've been told it's already been reported to BHS Welfare and it's not neglect so there is nothing they can do. I'll try WHW.

The owner believes 'it's happy' and 'it's quiet because it's Dad was'. He looks a bit shut down and depressed to me. I have a little experience of foals and youngsters and for their physical and mental development I believe foals should be out 24/7 with at least one other youngster and a quiet older horses and left to be a baby.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I've been told it's already been reported to BHS Welfare and it's not neglect so there is nothing they can do. I'll try WHW.

The owner believes 'it's happy' and 'it's quiet because it's Dad was'. He looks a bit shut down and depressed to me. I have a little experience of foals and youngsters and for their physical and mental development I believe foals should be out 24/7 with at least one other youngster and a quiet older horses and left to be a baby.
If you can, document everything…, video evidence is the best

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Nope a Foal shouldn’t be kept like that. any horse under the age of 4 doesn’t belongs in a livery yard as they needs aren’t meet and they don’t have a proper upbringing .

Wildly sweeping statement alert....

Horrible treatment OP, I can imagine it's quite distressing to witness - poor little mite.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Call WHW. It’s absolutely appalling treatment. You may also want to let the YO of their responsibility with regards duty of care.

You can also put a call in to your local council animal control and lisencing department to report your concerns.
Absolutely nothing to do with trading standards or licensing, neither will be of help.

BallyJ

Visit site
Depending on where you are try Bransby also - they’ve always been straight to the point and pragmatic when I’ve had dealings with them