Is this acceptable?

ponyparty

Visit site
I didn’t post an update at the time as the situation got very heated. BHS couldn’t help as they didn’t have anyone covering the area so I contacted WHW who contacted the yard owner. Yard owner was absolutely furious and put up a notice to say that if they found out who reported it the person would be thrown out with no notice. The good news is the foal now has daily turn out in a herd thanks to WHW 😀
Well done! Poor little mite.

Kaylum

Visit site
I think those assuming the welfare agencies would do anything are mistaken. The sad fact is there’s so many horses suffering that they just don’t have the manpower to get to everyone. If the horse has food and water, they don’t consider it a welfare case.

There was a horse near me that had been kept in a small stable in a garden, for over 10 years, with no company and no exercise. Because it was in good bodily condition and fed twice a day, nothing could be done. I think one of them visited and the owner claimed he took him out for exercise, so they didn’t do anything further. The sad thing is, the horse had shoes on, so a farrier must have been attending and seen no wear on the shoes each time. Im not sure if it’s even still there😒
The Animal Welfare Law is extremely outdated. If reports are made they make contact with the owner and offer advice. Bearing in mind some people are not the nicest to deal with. It's not a case of ignoring the situation, it's a case of monitoring it.

Charities cannot just go and take possession, they would be breaking the law. What the public see or think is not what is actually going on behind the scenes.

The Law is not on the side of the animals and we have to abide by the Law.

There is an estate near us and all the animals are tethered or kept in garden situations and I mean hundreds. Stallions kept next to mares, escaping everyday. It's come normality.

meleeka

Visit site
The Animal Welfare Law is extremely outdated. If reports are made they make contact with the owner and offer advice. Bearing in mind some people are not the nicest to deal with. It's not a case of ignoring the situation, it's a case of monitoring it.

Charities cannot just go and take possession, they would be breaking the law. What the public see or think is not what is actually going on behind the scenes.

The Law is not on the side of the animals and we have to abide by the Law.

There is an estate near us and all the animals are tethered or kept in garden situations and I mean hundreds. Stallions kept next to mares, escaping everyday. It's come normality.

I do hate the phrase “monitoring”. They usually only do one follow up visit and then that’s it.

I have had direct experience with a welfare case and the horses were “In a situation likely to cause suffering” for years. It took one to die a slow death for action to be taken and even then, only a couple were removed. The law could have saved them, but it didn’t. In any case, It really shouldn’t be the responsibility of charities to uphold the laws that we do have.

OP I’m pleased the foal is ok now. I’m surprised the YO had that reaction. You’d think they’d be pleased that something had to be done and they didn’t have to be the bad guy.

ponyparty

Visit site
I had the same reaction from a YO when I reported a welfare issue on a yard I was on. I denied all knowledge and even agreed with the gossips when they commented on how terrible it was that someone had reported this woman… lol. Im not usually that devious 🤣 but it was becoming increasingly concerning and I wasn’t prepared to let it continue on my watch!

dorsetladette

Visit site
I had the same reaction from a YO when I reported a welfare issue on a yard I was on. I denied all knowledge and even agreed with the gossips when they commented on how terrible it was that someone had reported this woman… lol. Im not usually that devious 🤣 but it was becoming increasingly concerning and I wasn’t prepared to let it continue on my watch!

I've done similar too.

Sealine

Visit site
OP I’m pleased the foal is ok now. I’m surprised the YO had that reaction. You’d think they’d be pleased that something had to be done and they didn’t have to be the bad guy.
The yard owner is not horsey and was going along with everything the owner was telling them despite a large number of liveries trying to tell them it was an acceptable way to keep a foal. Personally I still don't think it should be on a livery yard with day time turn out only but the daily, herd turnout is better than nothing. I fear that if it was moved away from here it would end up back in a stable 24/7. I've since heard of two other livery yards that turned it away as unsuitable for a livery yard but those yard owners were obviously far more knowledgeable.

Last edited: