Is this little lad good enough to show ?

Foxyt

Visit site
With a cute little handler it would wipe the floor in bonny pony, my little girl would love it

Last edited:

Mongoose11

Visit site
The answer is yes, but he needs to lose a fair bit of weight. I am fairly sure that Mooms doesn't mean that HE is dusgusting!

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
Moomin I beg your pardon ?

What's disgusting ? I never asked was he overweight, I did ask if he would be suitable to do inhand, but thanks for your input ;)

Why would I be taking the pee ?

He's on a diet .....don't worry, well aware of his weight . He's on a handful of Haylage (can't source hay) (soaked) and is not out on any grass . He is a miniature Shetland so basically lives on fresh air .

POLLDARK

Visit site
A lot of Mini Shets are big in the barrel ie have a large spring of rib (for their size) that will make them look fat to a casual glance but when you physically touch them they are not anywhere near as fat as you thought. He looks a very striking chap & I wish you luck with him.:)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lovely markings but looks croup high ( that could be the picture ) but I can't enjoy the appearance of a pony that wieght sorry.

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Visit site
Slightly over dramatic there golden star :)

He's overweight yes but trust me, I am doing all I can to help him loose the weight , at the same time I'm not going to starve the little ******, he is honestly getting a handful of soaked Haylage , I clipped him out yesterday as he was really hanging onto his winter coat and was making it very hard to see how fat he actually is .

But please don't let the image of him burn your eyes ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Slightly over dramatic there golden star :)

He's overweight yes but trust me, I am doing all I can to help him loose the weight , at the same time I'm not going to starve the little ******, he is honestly getting a handful of soaked Haylage , I clipped him out yesterday as he was really hanging onto his winter coat and was making it very hard to see how fat he actually is .

But please don't let the image of him burn your eyes ;)

Not over dramatic honest.

Spiritedly

Visit site
Jeez why is so hard for people to say 'yes he could do well showing, but needs to loose a bit of weight' or 'no he's wouldn't do well showing because of xyz and he could also do with loosing a bit of weight'. It is possible to answer a question without being rude!

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Visit site
Because some people just get a kick out of being rude . :)

'Being honest' is another excuse used for being rude .

Perhaps giving me more ideas/advice on how to get him to drop weight would be helpful but that's besides a few people's capabilities :) .
For what it's worth, I do think from looking at the photo more, it does make him look bigger than what he is but god forbid if I actually say this :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would have thought "not being able to enjoy the appearance of the pony " was quite dramatic wouldn't you say ?

Would have understood if this photo was a cruelty case then I would have used your quote .

Hho doesn't change it's nice to see :D

Ok I consider a pony overwieght as cruel as one underweight I can could no more enjoy looking at an overwieght pony than one with it's ribs showing.
In fact I would much rather see ribs .

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Visit site
You are a breath of fresh air aren't you golden star .
Show me a photo of your animals in the perfect weight .
Again and you aren't quite grasping the point of this post . I asked was he suitable to do inhand showing . NOT was he overweight .
I have never ever had an overweight animal as I am in the same frame of mind as yourself .

To say that this is a cruelty case ....catch yourself on .

And once again, you have yet to give any advice on losing weight so just as you have acted, I will take that as 'you are incapable'

:)

wildwest

Visit site
i think his markings are very striking , lovely head, just in my opinion needs a slighty longer mane and tail. but only as that is my preference ! totally gorg :}

HayleyDL

Visit site
Agree with the longer mane and tail.

As for losing weight restricting intake and exercise. Do you lunge him or otherwise exercise?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Lovely markings but looks croup high ( that could be the picture ) but I can't enjoy the appearance of a pony that weight sorry.

I think GS makes a valid point given that the whole point of showing is for the judge to 'enjoy' the appearance of the animal in front of it. The pony does nothing for me but it might do if fitter.

Nailed

Visit site
God some of you are miserable sods. She didnt ask your opinions on his weight. She asked if he coukd be shown in hand. .. she didn't ask you to all be so damned critical of him and sorry but plain bloody rude... moomin... goldenstar. He is hardly the fattest horse ever seen and I think alot of the comments were uncalled for. Get a grip. Lou x

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Visit site
Starting lunge him now that he's been clipped out (he was clipped out because of his weight, I wanted to see exactly how overweight he was)

Ester and golden star you still seem to be of the opinion that I like overweight ponies and horses !
Clearing wasting my time replying anymore to the likes of these comments .

Tail and mane noted thank you :)
Amymay I do think he's overweight but not as overweight as some :) he can still move after all ;)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Amymay I do think he's overweight but not as overweight as some :) he can still move after all ;)

Well you'd know better than me, seeing him in the flesh every day.

But to me he looks typical of a Shetland, and I'm struggling to see what others are so concerned about.

Anyway, he's lovely.

L&M

Visit site
OP - definitely good enough to show, certainly at local level.

Re the weight, we had a couple of shetlands and found even in mid winter on bare mud, we couldn't get them looking slim - they are just not built for it!!!!

If the pony was dangerously obese then some of the comments may be called for, but he is not and is just a typical shetland......

HayleyDL

Visit site
Then it sounds like you're doing the right things. You can't cut his food back anymore so that just leaves exercise.

Very cute little man though. Good luck with him!

Sare

Visit site
I actually don't think as much of that is fat as people seem to think, he needs some work to lift and tighten his tummy, which will make him look so much better. The way he's standing with the hind leg closest to the camera forwards does not help to compliment his shape either, he'd look very different with that positioned further out behind. Work wise to help the tummy, the same kind of exercises as you would use with big horses to get them working from behind and build the top,one- because for this they need to use their tummy muscles. Lunging on a slope is marvellous for this- you can see them lifting their tummy. Lunging over poles and putting a tail bandage around the bum can also help.

I think he essentially is nicely put together- work on the correct musculature, grow out the mane and teach him to stand square and with hind legs almost a bit camped out and I think you'll do well.