Is this little lad good enough to show ?

Visit site
With the excerise not only will he be losing some weight he will also be building up some top line and muscle. You may be surprised at how much better he will move with some muscle over his back to carry his back end forward.

As to the mane and tail - either grab some megatek, use it like mad and show him towards the end of the year when the lines arent so straight cut OR feather them to try and get rid of the lines. How old is he?

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
Thank you folks :)

Trust me I am my own worst critic, I know he's overweight but certainly not morbidly obese .
He's a belly on him that's for sure, he is only 5 so will muscle up
A little with that little bit of work . He was bought as a companion pony, was not got for showing but due to him putting on weight I thought it would help trim him up abit :)

Here is another photo showing the belly :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I never said he was morbidly obese but we aggree he's overwieght I am not getting at you you asked an appearance based question and I gave appearance based answer .
I know some minis have real issues with work as they have limb problems but I always lead my Shetland from another horse it kept him lovely and slim he was not a mini though.
He really loved going for led adventures he was a great little chap.
I do HDT where you see slim fit working Shetlands they are really amazing ponys.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
God some of you are miserable sods. She didnt ask your opinions on his weight. She asked if he coukd be shown in hand. .. she didn't ask you to all be so damned critical of him and sorry but plain bloody rude... moomin... goldenstar. He is hardly the fattest horse ever seen and I think alot of the comments were uncalled for. Get a grip. Lou x

Well anything can be shown in hand... surely with regards to 'good enough' colleen is actually inviting crit. :confused:, and the suggestion that he should do better when a bit slimmer and toned (like the silver dapple inky- can't remember user name on here!- is when showing) doesn't seem to ridiculous a statement to me and not overly rude, just helpful.

Fwiw I know a fair few minis that are shown and generally they seem better put together than this chap but you can only try and see.

Patterdale

Visit site
While I was reading the replies and waiting for the pic to load, I was expecting to see a whale on legs. :rolleyes:

CMT he looks like a typical mini Shetland in spring to me. I'd be watching his intake but not panicking!

He's very cute. Think some people have been very rude on this thread.

noodle_

Visit site
hes a little chubby but a lovely lad :)

mabey some in-hand walks to get the little monkey de-chubbed and he will be fine :)

OP being diplomatic on this forum is a skill some lack :D (myself on occasions!) take no notice :)

Nudibranch

Visit site
I think he's cute and no reason you couldn't show him locally. However I do think he has a bit of a ewe neck, straight back, and legs are tapering to the hoof. But he is a mini and they often seem to have their own quirks. Personally I would like to see minis look more standard Shetland like in confo, i.e. a bit stronger, but what do I know!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do love your back pedalling ;)

Unfortunately it's not possible to lead from my mare as she would kick out . But lunging and long reining has commenced . He will have a companion in a starvation paddock with him soon so they can sport about keeping each other exercised .

I am not back pedalling your pony is overwieght I did not say he was disgusting or morbidly obese I don't like to look at it .

ester

Visit site
like so: (thought I think it is Ty that is mini shetland and inky is mini horse)

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=540978&highlight=inky

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

maree t

Visit site
I was shocked by some of the rudeness. I think he looks a bit tubby but hardly disgusting. I see a lot worse at the local shows in the showring.
I think he is a cutey and think that he could do with more mane and tail and yes great if he was fitter but I like him.
Best of luck ,
ps how about breaking to drive if you have time ?

joeanne

Visit site
Ester I think Inky is actually a miniture horse. Very different to a Shetland.
The pony needs toning, I would not say he is overly fat, but with his new companion plus the work, that should be sorted quite quickly.

ester

Visit site
yup I edited to say that after checking :) but he is a good example of the effect of the toning some are suggesting if you compare his winter and show pics

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He's very pretty and not so overweight as to cause comment imo, just unfit. I can't see fat pads at the top of his legs, for instance, an unfit mini Shettie is always going to have a big belly. That is the way they are built, even a fit one will have a big barrel. I'd take him for walks over varied terrain to increase his fitness.
I would expect him to do well in local shows, especially with a child-handler but he isn't really evenly enough marked for bigger shows. Have you considered breaking him? A friend got a youngster as a companion but easily broke him to ride and drive and he is now in great demand for local children to take to PC, shows etc. He has a fabulous temperament and accepts all the admiration as his due.

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
Chuckles is a mini Shetland, not a mini horse just to clarify .

Golden star .....please don't reply anymore , you are clearly too rude . If you don't like to look at him . Take yourself off to another post .

If I had more time I'd love to drive him :) he's a little tank when he wants to be :)

He was bought firstly as a companion so if he can do little local shows then good enough :)
Many thanks folks :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have not said one single rude thing on this thread unless agreeing with you that your pony that your pony is overwieght is rude.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Lovely markings :D

I know nowt about minis' conformation so can't comment.

The weight thing has been coveted :cool:

Pole work. Poles in a straight line. Alternate raised ends. You can really see the tummy muscled working. Tightens everything up rather nicely. Walk and trot.

Enjoy :D

Aidey

Visit site
Cute little pony, as you have said you are addressing his weight issues, ignore the nasty comments, have a go at the showing and have fun! X