is this reasonable?

Tempi

Visit site
As most of you know im hopefully getting a sharer for Bloss, whos a 14 yo JR. I have made a final decision on what im going to ask per month for her, and i want to know if you guys think this is right or not.

Firstly hears a list of what she costs me monthly:

Dressage Mix £15.00
Alfa-Original £7.00
Global Herbs Skratch £30.00
Global Herbs Zephyr £40.00
Sunflower Seeds £14.00
D&H Breathe Free £20.00
Corta-Flx £30.00
Scats light fibre nuts £12.00
Insurance £40.00
Shavings £25.00
Stabling/haylage/field £155.00
Shoes £75.00

grand total of £463 a month
blush.gif
blush.gif

obviously this dosent include teeth (once a year), back (every 6 months), worming, injections, clipping (£100 twice a year) and saddles being restuffed twice a year, which all amounts to another 400 odd quic of extras a year.

Now im going to ask them for £200 a month, is this reasonable? It will include everything, including vets bills unless injury occurs to her whilst she is in their care and in which case they have to pay the bill.

They will get first refusal on her to take her where ever they want any weekend they want, they can take her out for lessons any day of the week, but i will obviosly arrange set days they will definately have her regardless of lessons. I will still be schooling her for them on the days they aren't using her. I am also allowing them to downgrade her so she can be competed at Novice level again and then work back through elementary.

what does everyone think?

(oh and if anyone has any nasty comments about how much i spend per month please keep them to yourselves, i want advice not criticism.)

Thankies
grin.gif
grin.gif

RachelB

Visit site
Sounds reasonable to me, they get the use of your lovely horse and for less than it would cost them to keep her, plus they don't have to shell out to buy her!
I'd hate to have to add up what I spend on my horse!
crazy.gif

Pasha

Visit site
I'm no great expert on sharers by any means but £200 seems quite alot to me - I usually see ads for £20-25/week mark where we are (Kent/Surrey border).... that is presuming the horse is on DIY and they would be expected to do all the jobs on their days?

I can see where you are coming from in terms of them paying half the cost and being abel to compete when they wanted which is more than most sharers are offered, but in my opinion, anyone who could afford £200/month and has the time to do the work (i.e. keep the horse DIY) would have their own

Tempi

Visit site
its really scary isnt it!! when i added all that up i nearly passed out!!!!!!!!!! when it comes out of my bank i dont take much notice.............whats scarier is the fact that ive now got two................

Tempi

Visit site
erm not really, because look at what she cost per month, its way more than £200 a month, as the DIY alone is £155 a month, so if they had their own it would be costing them over that, not including vets bills, saddle stuffing, worming, teeth, injections every year too. They wil have none of that to pay for.

i do see also see where you are coming from tho.

SillyMare

Visit site
I think that is reasonable - Bloss isn't an 'ordinary' share horse - she is schooled and competing at a very high level.

If they were to lease a competition horse for their daughter they would be paying a lot more than that!

Tempi

Visit site
oh, also they wouldnt have to do any jobs, all they have to do is tack her up, groom her and ride and then stick her in her field however many times a week. Il still be mucking her out everyday and bringing her in in the evenings.

miamibear

Visit site
I think that is reasonable given your calculations.

This isnt meant as criticism and im not being horrible honest
grin.gif
but how on earth do you afford it and having 2 now too!! OMG you must be on a good salary!!

BTW you dont have to answer that question, i nearly died when you added it up!!
grin.gif

CJ1

Visit site
are you getting a sharer for cost reasons or that she needs the work. Having been a sharer I find it outragious you are asking exactly half of the horses bills from a stranger. You are the owner, you are responsible for its keep, you are choosing to have that many different feeds.

Ideally you should split it over the year and then divide by 12 as not every month you are needing to have shoes and supplements surely?

Asking for them to pay the vets bill is slightly out of order too. Id suggest they have their own rider insurance and as long as you tell your insurance company that you have a rider, the horse will be covered.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Sounds about right, good deal if you ask me!!! I'd prob be inclined to say a bit more TBH....the amount they are gonna get out of her is just like them loaning a horse and then they'd have to pay the full amounts!!! Who will be doing all the daily work, mucking out etc??

and OMG, nearly had heart attack at that amount lol...thought I was bad haha
smile.gif

Pasha

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oh, also they wouldnt have to do any jobs, all they have to do is tack her up, groom her and ride and then stick her in her field however many times a week. Il still be mucking her out everyday and bringing her in in the evenings.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes a huge difference then as they wouldn't have to do any real 'work'.... as I said I am only basing my comments on my experience - horses on our farm seem to live on thin air and only get chaff + mix (even the 2 novice eventers don't really get any supplements - maybe a bit of soya oil) and are on straw so works out alot cheaper!

Good luck I hope you find someone great
smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
yeah sounds fair price
but i would also show them your list... as then they can clearly see where expenses are going
I'm assusming you'll be doing contract between you and sharer and this is something i would add into paperwork

Yeah i does become scary the more you get!!!!
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
i just don't bother any more worrying, but any OT at work, i grab it

Tempi

Visit site
shoes and suppliments are monthly...im only asking them to pay vets bills if she is injured in THEIR care.........im not going into the suppliment thing, but they are advised by my vet as she hasa severe pollen allergy (controlled by a nose net), and also needs cortalfez for her hocks.

i am getting a sharer for her because i want someone to downgrade her as i know shes got another years competing left in her. shes a fit competition horse and shes nt ready to be retired from it yet. i am very good friends with the people who are sharing her and they love her to bits, they know how much she is worth (which is quite a bit) and they know how much i pay out for her.

vicm2509

Visit site
My best friend shares my horse. She pays me £30 a week, that is for a 16.3 horse who is greenish and has no history of competing. We added all the bits up and averaged it over the year then halved it. I still pay for all the bits and bobs like rugs, clips, jabs etc.

We have him 3 days each then once a week we go down together. I have first refusal on shows although I am very fair and usually let her take him if I know she really wants to.

TBH I think £200 per month is quite reasonable considering your horse is at a higher level than mine and they can decide when to compete and have lessons etc. I think you pay for what you get and obviously would expect to pay less for a 12.2 pony and more for a top eventer.

You will know if you are asking to much as you wont get any interest in her.

Tempi

Visit site
yes i will be showing them my 'list' - altho i know they have a rough idea already
smile.gif

shes off for a lesson with them this afternoon (first time they are taking her in thier lorry on thier own) so she better be a good horsey!!!!!!!!!

Baileysno1

Visit site
sounds great to me - its allot cheaper than owning your own and at least the sharer would know exatly where they stood with there finanaces each week (erm unlike me!) Seems very resonable for such a super quality horse which they could basically ride as their own.

Tempi

Visit site
ive already got someone who wants to share her, they are taking her out already competing and for lessons (for free at the moment), we're finalising details this week.

EllieBeast

Visit site
TBH, i think this is very fair. Bloss is a great horse and if you are still doing all the day to day jobs then all the easier for them. its more like a competition lease, and you would pay a lot for a horse of Bloss's standard on lease. how old is she? im sure she isnt ready for retirement yet!!
good luck with it all, and i hope bloss behaves herself today!
Sarah

Rambo

Visit site
I think you need to distinguish what Bloss is giving them compared to your 'normal' loan arrangement. Basically they are leasing a competition horse for their child to compete and do pretty much what they want with. It's not far off a full loan, and you don't get too many full loans of horses of this quality. They know how much a horse costs to run, and they are saving on the outlay of the initial purchase. I think it is entirely reasonable for them to expect to pay half the running costs, for half (or more) of the use !

Halfstep

Visit site
I think that this is very fair - she will be receiving the use of a competition horse in order to advance her chances in BYRDS dressage. Your arrangement is pretty much spot on I would think. Good luck, hope it works out.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I'm not sure I understand the vets bill sitation. If god forbid, something does happen whilst they are looking after her how would they be expected to pay for the vets bill - they can run into thousands of pounds as we all know - if you have her insured already then they will not be able to insure her against vets bill as well. Could be a bit tricky. If however, you mean they have to pay the excess on your insurance then thats different altogether.

CJ1

Visit site
Sorry, i was assuming a sharer was someone doing 3 days a week, not pretty much a full loan.

£200 a month is cheap for full loan then (on what is effectivley full livery)

Jemayni

Visit site
I think it is a reasonable amount, if you was doing a part loan or something it would be far too much. But sharing is sharing you expect to pay half for the horse, s/he sounds like a very nice horse to have as a share, and that in itself means people will be willing to pay more.There are two girls that share on our yard, but the actual owner doesn't ride, therefore the sharer pays all the (full) livery/shoeing/feed costs which amounts to more like £400 monthly, she is happy to pay it as it means she has access to a fantastic horse she couldn't otherwise afford.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If the horse is on full livery and they have total access to her for riding, competitions etc, then I think that £50 per week is OK. If they are USED to having horses on that sort of livery, then that is a good price. For people who are used to paying £10 a week then they may get a shock!
It is well under half of your normal costs, so that should be fine.
However, I am not sure about the horse being injured whilst in their care? Surely simnply insuring the horse will be enough. For example, how about the horse being injured but the injury not showing up until the next day. You will need to ensure there are no grey areas and having proper insurance should cover this.

vicm2509

Visit site
Yes, she just has a £30 standing order set up. We sat down together and went through all the costs and she thinks it is very fair. Looking at your figures though I do feed my horse less, insurance is less, shoes are less so you are charging about right.

Oh and I also pay for any vet bills unless the damage to the horse was caused by neglegence on her part and could have been avoided in which case she will pay the excess on the insurance or if its just a one off call out she will pay that.