is this reasonable?

Whispa

Visit site
Hi

I think this is reasonable considering what Bloss is capable of, and what the 14 year old wants to do with her. I know people who pay a lot more for similar standard horses.

If it helps for comparison purpose (although very different type of horse), my 13.2hh mare was costing me about £325 per month
crazy.gif
and she was only eating pasture mix and hi-fi plus hay and grass!!! Plus she's retired and 29!! God its scary how much ponies cost when you add it up!! Which I didn't do until I had a baby and wondered where my money was going! Since moved pony to a new yard which is much better for her, and better my my bank balance!

Agree with JMM about the insurance though and make sure your contract is clear about everything - far better to get this agreed and in writing up front. My other piece of advice is to agree up front about what happens if she needs to come back, as I loaned my eventer out to someone was going to buy him after a 3 month loan period. She got pregnant and sent him back and although it did work out for me in the end, it was a pain at the time. Hopefully the 14 year old junior won't do down this route though!!!

Good luck with it. How's the new horse settling in now?

Tempi

Visit site
shes staying on my yard, as the girl who is hopefully sharing her is on my yard too, which is how i already know them and how i trust them with her. (they are actually the only people on my yard that i would trust with her, which makes it even better!)

new horse is being very well behaved now bless him, im riding him tonight and i cant wait!!

Whispa

Visit site
That does make things a lot easier as you'll be able to see how she's getting on etc. Plus the sharer will have the advantage of your experience with Bloss, which is always a good thing when you get a new horse.

Glad to hear new horse is settling in well - any piccies yet?

Ginn

Visit site
I think is very reasonable and if she is actually getting full use of Bloss (i.e. you only riding her etc if she isn't so more like a loan) then I'd say its very very cheap!!!

When I had my exracer (who was on loan but kept 20miles away at his owners yard) I was paying atleast that and then she had the nerve to let someone else ride him on the days I didn't and charged her an additional £35/week for the privilage!!!! In the end I couldn't justify paying that sort of money for something which wasn't mine and she was pushing the other girl on to more and more to PC so I let him go but his owner ended up with a very nicely produced pony club horse who had and I ended up taking 18 months to rebuild my bank account!

So Yes! Very reasonable!

kirstyfk

Visit site
Its more than I would pay but for what she is it seems a fair price to ask. Especially if they don't have to pay anything else.

In 2001/2002 my sister leased an ex-advanced event horse to do pony club on for £1000 for the year. We then had to pay all the costs on top of this. So price wise it would have worked out the same as what your asking. Plus they don't have to spend the time.

One thing i don't think i would be happy with would be to pay the vets fees of anything which happened to the horse in my care. What would happen if she broke down or the like just doing a normal schooling session? Is it fair to ask them to pay all the vet costs when it is an accumulation of things which caused the problems.

tinker512

Visit site
Thats seems an awful lot to me...but then again all the horses have shared I haven't payed a single thing...and I get to show etc and have to do no jobs apart from ride...

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I think it depends on the level of horse (general response not just to Tinker!) - if the horse is competing at a high level and will likely increase the visibility of her 14 year old rider in the dressage selection stakes, then you would expect to pay and not get a free ride! These people are obviously taking it seriously, and therefore they need to ensure that the horse is there to ride/compete whenever they need it which you won't get on a freebie (usually).

katelarge

Visit site
To be honest I'd consider £200 too much. People can keep their own horse for not much more. I'd also not be that keen to get a sharer to didn't want to take on any of the work. If I were to shre my horse I'd look for about half that, perhaps with mucking out in -and mine is a competition horse too. It's always tricky though, and I'm glad you are not epxecting 2oo quid PLUS lots of stable work. Why not put out feelers and see what response you get, then scale the price down if you don't get much response.

Good luck with it, there ARE good sharers out there. I was one, and now own the horse, so it can all work out hunky dory! x

katelarge

Visit site
Sorry - just realised you already have a rider. If you can have her stay on your yard and get half you livery paid then you are on to a very good thing! I too have reservations about the split of vets fees - what of the horse breaks down or something else happens and you leave them high and dry? But hopefully you would be reasonable about thing like that, I certainly hope so.