is this right???

nikita1990

New User
Visit site
Hi.

I need some advice. I am currently part loaning a pony. I am being asked to pay £200pcm for the rent. also im only riding 3 times per week, not allowed to muck out, turn out, etc.
is this right or am i being ripped off?

The box rent is around £55pw, and im also being asked to pay minor vet bills.

it feels like im paying the full amount for him, but arnt allowed to do any of the pratical work.

is this right? am i being made a fool of?

thanks. xx

Jorel

Visit site
Is the horse on full livery? If yes thats why your not able to do the practical stuff. However IMO you are paying an awful lot for not very much! If I was you I'd put the £200 a month into 3 riding lessons a week, you'd probably get more from it by the sounds of things.

nikita1990

New User
Visit site
thanks for your reply. no henry is on DIY!! henrys owner n her mum muck out daily but all im allowed to do is to poo pick there turnout field, n ride n groom.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I pay just over that for my own Horse.

It's too expensive in my opinion. I would consider looking for another share.

When I shared it was £10 per day including chores. I didn't pay torwards vet bills or shoeing costs.

Jorel

Visit site
£55 a week for DIY livery sounds very expensive to me. And at £200 per month and vet fees you are covering most of this horses costs. I would talk to the owners if your worried about this and tell them how you feel. They may come up with an alternative plan - maybe they think you don't want to muck out?

Naryafluffy

Visit site
I used to have a sharer for my horse, he paid half the livery and half the shoes, everything else was picked up by me.
Admittedly she was on full livery so no he didn't muck out, but that suited both of us.

You can put my horse on DIY if you want and muck out and ride to your hearts content (although she is a 23yo fruit loop)

Spyda

Visit site
I don't think £200 pcm is too much for 3 days riding, particularly if you don't have to do any chores or pay towards anything extra like shoes, etc. But for that amount of money per month, I wouldn't expect to have to poo pick OR pay anything towards routine vet bills. And the owner/s should already have vet fee insurance in place for illness and emergencies.

nikita1990

New User
Visit site
thanks for your replys. i think im going to take ur advise and move on. also they full well know i want to muck out n do all the chores but they just dont want my help. they just want my money thats all!!!

samuelhorse

Visit site
my DIY rent is £65 a month, so £200 would cover my boys full costs and I own him and can do what i want with him... Maybe, if you have the £200 to spare look at having one on full loan, then you can do the practical stuff as well as riding when you want!
Good luck with what you decide xxxx

Sheep

Visit site
I agree with the posters above- it seems like an awful lot.

Keeping a horse on full loan costed me about £200-£250 per month (depending on how many bags of shavings I bought!).

Sounds like you are footing the bills here..! If you are sharing then I don't see why you should be liable for vets bills.. the pony should be insured etc.

Seems weird that they aren't keen for you to muck out etc. Just saw your post about moving on so good luck with finding another, and, as another poster said- maybe you could find a full loan (if you have the time!) for that amount of money.

shadowboy

Visit site
The entire costs for keeping my horse are less than £200 a month. Sounds like they are just after the cash- when I shared out my pony many moons ago I charged £10 per day share and then half of shoe costs- I think per month it totalled £100 a month

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am going to go against most posters on this thread and say that no, this is not a rip off. Even though the horse is on DIY, you are effectively having a horse on full livery. How many horse owners that work very hard and have to therefore pay in excess of £400 pcm to have their horse on ffull or part livery, and only get to come and ride them 3 times a week if they are lucky? I had a livery once who could only manage to ride once a week.

The owners are doing the labour and you are coming up to ride. It sounds like a good deal to me! However, you can get a cheaper share where you are expected to actually fully care for the horse on the days you ride them. The price of such shares can range from zero to £10 per day. Sounds like you would be happier doing this. But remember, with it comes a responsibility to care for the horse on your allotted days even when you are unable to ride due to adverse weather or you are ill. So be careful what you wish for. :)

jeni

Visit site
200 pounds is alot of money to be paying out in my opinion. you could keep a pony DIY for roughly the same amount per week. it only costs me 70 PW to keep both mine DIY. 1 of my ponies is up for loan (happy hacker) and ive had no replys wot so eva, which is a shame coz he is a total sweety... if u lived near to me u could have loaned him x x

White socks

Visit site
Usually the horse is 'yours' on the days you are up so on those days you muck out, ride,feed, poo pick etc? Think the cost varies on how much you do and the days etc. Find another pony most people will bite your hand off for the help.

orionstar

Visit site
If I had a loaner like you I wouldnt have had to sell my mare, and I wouldnt have minded one bit if you wanted to muck out! £200 would cover the whole of her keep for a month including the shoes!

maree t

Visit site
I am tryiing to find a sharer for one of our ponies, I want somebody who will come and ride and help keep them fit and a bit of help with mucking out when they ride. Mine arent shod so I would expect to ask about £10 per week for unlimited riding but she isnt for a novice so need light weight experienced rider, mine are at home so the costs are minimal really.

Brandy

Visit site
Yes you are being ripped off! I had a sharer for one of my ponies, and she paid £20 per week. This paid for the pony to have a full set of shoes and also the leftover money went towards things like rugs and clipping - she would not have been shod, rugged or clipped without the sharer. Sharer came 5 times a week. The only other cost she had was that I stipulated that she have a riding lesson per week, which she paid for herself.

I guess it depends on why you have a sharer, I wanted one as I was too big for the pony, and also was lacking in the time to give the pony the exercise and attention she loves.

ttt

Visit site
For £200 a month, you can come and muck out my lot!
As a matter of fact, I would let you do it for nothing....:D

Sounds a bit one sided to me, maybe talk to them and let them know you wanted a little more involvement in the day to day care??

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
As I said earlier, it is NOT a rip off, it just doesn't suit what the OP wants to do. I once had three horses on my yard that had sharers. People were queueing up for the opportunity to have a share horse that they could just turn up and ride. The sharers paid an average of £15 per day that they rode, so between £30 and £60 per week. The horses were on full livery, and one was my own. This arrangement suits busy people and is still far cheaper than a riding school that charges around £25 per hour. Obviously, the arrangement is not suitable for people who want to pay less and who do not mind doing a bit of yard work. But no way is it a rip off.

I really don't know how anyone paying livery can keep a horse for less than £200 per month. I do not pay livery and my own horses cost me more than that! I buy everything in bulk too.

night_mare

Visit site
I charge my sharer £100 a month (my livery bill for my horse is £175 per month) - she's allowed to ride up to 4 times per week. She can visit my horse any time she likes and I don't mind if she wants to help with anything. The only other things my sharer pays is her entry fees if she wants to do a competition at the yard - I don't charge anything towards farrier, vets, feed, etc she just pays a straight £100 per month.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
That's an awful lot of money for a loan!! My cousin loans a 15'1 on our yard, 2 days per week for £15. I have a 16'1 horse and he costs me about £260 per month.. so you could always get a good doer on a cheap yard & have your own!!

darkhorse123

Visit site
I don't think £200 pcm is too much for 3 days riding, particularly if you don't have to do any chores or pay towards anything extra like shoes, etc. But for that amount of money per month, I wouldn't expect to have to poo pick OR pay anything towards routine vet bills. And the owner/s should already have vet fee insurance in place for illness and emergencies.

Its extortionate!
In winter with extra hay and bedding (im diy) i dont pay much more to keep my horse (prob £250 with everything - feed, wormiing) and thats including insurance and hoof trimming - i think they are talking the mick (not forgetting summer is much cheaper)!

mini-eventer

Visit site
Where are you based I know its unlikely you are local. but I am considering a sharer for my boy as I am looking for a youngester to bring on PM me if you like

Spyda

Visit site
I'm not saying I'd want to be forking out that amount of money as a sharer but think about it: £200 pcm for riding 3 days a week works out at £15 per day to ride - I don't think that's extortionate at all, especially if the sharer doesn't have to do any chores except groom and tack up. Paying for a boring plod out at an average riding school 3 times a week would cost you more.

The fact that the owners of the shared horse wish to do the donkey work means the sharer is effectively paying to have a horse to use 3 days a week, on a full livery type basis. If the OP wishes to pay less and do more, then she needs to give up this particular arrangement and look for a loan offering what she wants. Whether £46.15 per week is too much for use of someone else's horse 3 days per week in this instance is irrelevent. The OP isn't happy obviously, so it's wise she's decided to give it up and look for another horse to help out with. Pity you're not in East Devon as you'd be welcome to come and ride mine for nothing 3 days per week. Personally I'd love someone to help keep mine fit and exercised enough!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I do think £200p/m is a lot for a share but it depends what you are getting for it. If its a good, well schooled, lots of scope horse on a yard with lots of facilities and you can compete it, then reasonable. If not, then its expensive.