Is your horse a morning horse?

Visit site
Every morning I am greeted by the two other horses looking over their doors and Puggy's bum! He turns around for his breakfast and then yawns his head off whilst I get him ready to go out. ? this is him this morning, ready to go out. He wasn't best impressed that I had woke him up (it WAS 8am!) ?? is your horse a morning horse or a night owl?

Attachments

• 1621D202-4922-4C8A-A5C5-41FB6C39D2A5.jpeg
    1621D202-4922-4C8A-A5C5-41FB6C39D2A5.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 45

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Every morning I am greeted by the two other horses looking over their doors and Puggy's bum! He turns around for his breakfast and then yawns his head off whilst I get him ready to go out. ? this is him this morning, ready to go out. He wasn't best impressed that I had woke him up (it WAS 8am!) ?? is your horse a morning horse or a night owl?
?? but is there supposed to be a photo?

Equi

Visit site
Spud horse is a morning fellow, he wants breakfast and out. Three of the littles are wanting out NOW please but the two youngsters usually have to have the duvet taken off to get them out of bed then chased round the house with a flip flop to get out the door

Equi

Visit site
Same here ycbm. The only times I ever see my spud lie down are in summer at mid morning nap time

Lexi 123

Visit site
My horse gets very angry if you do anything other than feed her and turn her out in the morning . If you try ride her she won’t move and gives you the mare stare .

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
On a hack the other day my neighbour said she either see's my horse hooning round his fields or laying flat out asleep. I think that sums him up perfectly, he seems to just love a good snooze and enjoys his life but he's happy to go with the flow whatever time of the day to be honest :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've watched horses at home over the years and there seems to be a natural nap time at about 11am in summer.

I noticed this too!

I started bringing mine in mid morning so they can snooze in their stable. My youngster loves his sleep and I find if I take him out and work him after nap time he's really relaxed and easy to work with.

tatty_v

Visit site
Mines definitely a morning boy, up and raring to go. Schooling in the later afternoon/early evening is definitely not his cup of tea, don’t I know it’s bedtime and he shouldn’t be disturbed?!

holeymoley

Visit site
Mine’s another one thats unimpressed if he does anything other than have breakfast and get put in the field first thing! Major moods if not :D

Tarragon

Visit site
I am a morning person and have always ridden before work. So, it is now built into their makeup and works for us. It doesn't matter if the ride is 45 minutes or 4 hours, the start to the day is the same. But you should see the look on their faces if I try to ride in the afternoon! Definitely not in their terms and conditions :D

Birker2020

Visit site
From Dec 2020 to April 2021 I was going up the yard twice a day to tend to my mares check ligament injury as she was on box rest. Most days would be there by 5.45am - 6am. I was furloughed at the time but have always got up early for work anyway so wanted to retain my pattern so it wouldn't be such a shock with a new job.

As she became used to seeing me early every day most of the time she would be on her feet waiting for me, albeit snoozing. It was rare to catch up down in her bed sleeping.

We are on a massive yard so I made sure to only put her strip of lighting on to save money and let those that wanted a lie in to do so in peace :)

She's a very even tempered horse, very easy going and gentle, so I am sure she wouldn't have cared when I turned up, so long as I did!

fankino04

Visit site
Current mare couldn't really care either way, marginally better behaved in the morning but probably more to do with used to a routine of being ridden first thing (when she was in work). Ex racer had separation anxiety so if you tried to ride when you first brought her in it was fairly dangerous, riding in the morning when she chilled out over night though and she was a little lamb. My dog will race you to the door in the morning for her walk, anything after lunch and she needs to see treats go in your pocket to get her interested in getting up and going out ?

Annagain

Visit site
The boys are in overnight in winter and are all at their doors and ready to go out whenever we get to the yard (any time between 6.30 and 8). I think Charlie would quite happily lie in if the others didn't wake him up as he always looks half asleep but they're all bursting to get out so their activity obviously wakes him. They're all far happier to come in to bed early in the evening than they are to stay in longer in the morning. If they're out overnight, we quite often find Archie lying down in the morning as late as 9am. I've only ever caught Monty lying down once in 20 years, when I was there very early (5.30am) to bath him for a show. I felt terrible! I haven't seen Charlie lying down yet - rolling plenty but not lying down.

tiga71

Visit site
My old horse is always the same to ride, whenever we do something. My other horse is not happy to do anything unless he has had a few hours kip. So if we are doing dressage or competition in the morning, I keep him in overnight so has had lots of time for sleeping.

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine can be tricky to catch in the summer, and if you leave it to the afternoon you stand no chance! All the others are starting to be turned out so she doesn't see why she should come in and work. They all do seem to have sleepy time around 11ish though.

Birker2020

Visit site
Lovely big airy stable Birker, and a lovely horse :)
Yes thank you, they are lovely stables, 15 x 13 I believe, the ones on my row are the largest on the yard (apart from the 2 mare and foal boxes).

Thank you for saying that about my horse, she is so kind with a lovely temperment, I've never met a horse more kind to people and other horses. I love the bones of her.