Is your horse cuddly?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I've been riding for over 25 years now, and whenever people have said they have cuddly horses I've always just sort of assumed they have horses that tolerate their existence more than usual...

Until my new pony. He is the cutest thing, so cuddly and wanting you to literally hold his head. Is an absolute saint, so easy to do. Literally no vices. Only "issue" with him is that he hasn't been under saddle so is abit clueless in that department. A cute kind of clueless though where he has no buck or spook in him, just sort of doodles around confused. If I'm honest, I think after getting him up and going it would be an injustice if I kept him as he would just be so perfect for a child 🙈

Have I been missing out all this time? Are horses like this really rare? I have 2 others. One a workmanlike gelding who does as he's told as if I employ him 😂 And a mare who seems to like me but isn't particularly affectionate.

JBM

Visit site
My first mare likes my presence but isn’t cuddly and both my gelding and little mare are cuddly babies 😂 my rising 4yo mare is just being backed and sounds like yours to a tee

Attachments

• AAA25904-6AD4-4206-849E-03F8849D06DD.jpeg
    AAA25904-6AD4-4206-849E-03F8849D06DD.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 17

SO1

Visit site
I think your new one is a forester? A breed bred for having a gentle nature, aggressive ponies are removed from the forest. Homey was a very friendly gentle natured pony really cuddly. However he had never known anything other than kindness in his life so he had no reason not to be friendly.

I am looking for another forester and all the ones I have viewed so far have been friendly.

gallopingby

Visit site
Some are cuddly and others aren’t! I’ve had a ‘few‘ over the last 50 years, all different but l think it’s an individual bonding thing. Ive mainly had mares and still have them but the cuddliest have been geldings, recently one who had been kept on his own with an older person just loves everyone another from a family home is very cuddly and a workmanlike gelding not at all cuddly but 100% obedient sand let’s just get on with whatever you want.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Yes he's a Forester.

My other two aren't not friendly, they're generally well mannered and like a good scratch...but this boy is something else entirely 😂 I think he was a dog in a past life or something.

Is a pleasant surprise to find one so affectionate!

YoLaTango

Visit site
Mine is cuddly. Seems to not only ‘not mind’ you, but actually seeks human company. He will put his head into your hands for you to hold it for a while. He will do that neck arched happy face when you find his itch spot. He will follow you around a field.

He has also not known any unkindness. He wouldn’t understand the idea of headshy. You can touch him anywhere on his head and he is ok. The very odd time where he has needed a bit of a gruff voice for something (he is excited to get out of stable and makes the first steps of being bolshy), he looks so aggrieved.

It makes me worry about if I ever had to sell him. He seems such a kind soul. It gives me distress think of him coming into contact with the nastier elements of the horse world. Hopefully it will never come to that!

humblepie

Visit site
Another with a very cuddly thorough bred. My previous one was more of a tolerate a cuddle but would prefer not.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Mines cuddly but over cuddly at times if I don't watch out. He likes to likes to put his head round my shoulder and pull me towards him or try and groom me. I have to tell him not to be rough.

Lexi 123

Visit site
yes my mare is very cuddly to be honest she didn’t have the best start to life with her previous owner as she was dumped in the field with no human or horse company. So I think I am the only one who has only shown her kindness to her.

ponynutz

Visit site
Yes once she gets used to you but she has clear boundaries and will tell you when to stop (which is often quite soon after asking for a cuddle). Will stand to be groomed for hours though it sends her to sleep.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
My Forester is affectionate but not 'cuddly'. He loves attention, affection, kisses etc but isn't a fan of actually having a wrap your arms around his neck type hug.

Visit site
My Shetlands are quite cuddly when they want to be. My darty tolerates me unless I have food then I can't get rid of him 😂

At work we have some very cuddly horses. Some annoyingly so as you can't even get in their stables without their heads making a b-line for your chest so they can have a hug then they constantly have to have part of their head touching you the whole time you are in the box. Others like a fuss when you offer it to them and become very cute and cuddly. Others don't care and others tell you in no uncertain terms that you are to do what you need to do and leave them in pea s ASAP. Their attitudes change depending on the work they are doing too. Some are very affectionate horses when on their holidays but when in work they are in the zone and won't tolerate much faffing.

smolmaus

Visit site
Sadie will allow a cuddle, and with her being so fluffy and the perfect height to just sling your arm round I would be very upset if she didn't! Her big round bum makes a lovely pillow when you just need to take a minute. Her brand of affection is interaction, she wants to follow you round and say hello to everyone and offer a trick to see if she will get a snack. In the summer I will sometimes go sit in the field with the herd in the evening and she will come graze beside me which is very sweet.

Starzaan

Visit site
My current two could not be more opposite. One would take your head off with either teeth or feet if you had the audacity to try and cuddle him, the other would love nothing more than to live in someone’s handbag and be put in little outfits every day. He even stops the poor physio from writing her notes every month because he’s so cross she’s stopped with the lovely treatment, he hooks his head over her shoulder and yanks her back into his chest for more love. I’ve looked after plenty of cuddly horses, but my yellow boy and one lovely livery I’ve had were just on another level.

Roxylola

Visit site
Bon is the "hollywood" horse. He shouts when he hears me, whiffles when I walk over towards him (whether or not he has food), he grooms, he cuddles, he plays with your hair - pretty much anything people complain about hollywood getting wrong about horses he does. It's like he learned by watching films 🤣
He'd love someone who could just hang out with him all day, I think in another life he was a happy little lapdog

Vermeer

Visit site
In a word - no 😂

She likes her space. Her idea of affection is standing next to me for a bit after I turn her out, and greeting me with a musical sort of grunting when I arrive at the yard. Which never fails to make me smile 😊

Anna Clara

Visit site
Mine are both ridiculously cuddly, my 3 year old welsh c in particular. Had some lovely little girls come to groom him today and he stood there with his eyes closed as they played with his mane etc. Even my adopted, slightly hay wire, stresshead ex-dressage horse loves a cuddle and stood like a lamb for them while they faffed about with him. Neither are much good at anything apart from cuddles though, they are pretty sure they were born to be loved by little girls while standing in the sun! 🤣

Surbie

Visit site
I have what I think an affectionate horse. He's very different from my friend's geldings who are a lot more distant. It's lovely.

MiLeTa

Visit site
Mine doesn't particularly like actual 'cuddles', but will tolerate them for a short period. He loves attention, though, and is very affectionate, follows me around the field 'helping' with the poo picking, and likes to groom me back when I find a particularly itchy spot for him!

dottylottie

Visit site
I think your new one is a forester? A breed bred for having a gentle nature, aggressive ponies are removed from the forest. Homey was a very friendly gentle natured pony really cuddly. However he had never known anything other than kindness in his life so he had no reason not to be friendly.

I am looking for another forester and all the ones I have viewed so far have been friendly.

my little old lady must be the anomaly to this! she’s gotten much sweeter in her old age, but she’s definitely the variety that does her job very well and then wants some peace and quiet, thankyou very much!

Visit site
It depends on his mood - if he is the mood then yes… if not then he’d rather just get on with whatever I want to do with him and then get back to eating 😆

Pippity

Visit site
My old share horse would wrap his head and neck around you and cuddle you, or just rest his head on your shoulder and snooze. My friend's Arab grooms you back the moment you start scratching him.

If my horse shows any enthusiasm about my presence, I know I'm about to get a vet bill. The only time she's remotely affectionate is when she doesn't feel well. She was a bit cuddly yesterday morning, so I'm expecting a bank holiday vet call.