It IS the time to prepare to say goodbye.

Bug2007

Visit site
Will be thinking of you.

20 years is a long time, but the memories will last forever.

At least you have listened to your beloved horse and made the decision. Best thing you can do for her.

It'll be a nice day so the sun will be on her back.

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
Will be thinking of you both. Juno has been a lucky girl to have had 20 years with someone who so obviously adores her. The sun will be out to say goodbye to your lovely girl.

pip6

Visit site
Beautiful poem. You may already know, but Juno can be translated from Japanese to mean gentleness, a lovely name.

Thoughts are with you, last girl the hunt came for was very suspicious of strangers so we gave her a feed, last thing she knew she was happily nuzzling her way through goodies. She's also spent the previous couple of hours out in a little lush paddock, which she adored after being confined to a stable the previous few days with her injury/infection. All lives end, including our own, it's the way of life. You are giving Juno dignity, treating her wishes with respect & loving her in the most generous way you can. No owner could do more.

Do whatever you need tomorrow. I had to drive to someewhere quite & just spend time alone. Each to their own. Then I had to face going back down the yard to do my youngster, which was very hard but I'm glad I did. I put her in her friends box (which was much nicer), & it helped to have a grey head looking over the door where her bay friend had been.

Maddie2412

Visit site
im so sorry had this done last thursday just try and smile and think of all the good times very brave and we all hope everything goes smoothly hugs xx

Gemsie

Visit site
Hi there,

I dont post often but just wanted to send you a hug and let you know I will think of you on Friday.

I said goodbye to my boy of over 20 years (he was 32) in March, I had prepared myself for this year being his last summer but was hoping for a few more months with him.

He let me know that it was his time, I think as a loving owner to an oldy you just know when the time is right.

I am still devastated by the loss of my boy, but my tears are for me - not for him, he had a very long and happy life and he went with his dignity in tact.

Your are absolutely doing the right thing,

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

xxxxx

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Thankyou everybody. Time is running out, many tears have already flowed, most of me is dreading the morning, but just a tiny part of me at the mo is very happy. Happy to have made the decision, and very happy that I can understand Juno and 'feel' what she is thinking.
Although her sore legs are no worse, she has slowed right up, and from her being such a speed merchant in her younger days, that alone is a death sentance to her. For the first time this year, the horse flies are out, and it was sad to see her slow reactions in getting rid of them. She hasn't even had a trot in the last 5 days.
I gave her a cuddle and we had a chat this morning, we have history and do know each other, its just sad for me when I am counting down the hours, and thinking 'last morning', 'last this' or 'last that'. I am lucky that I have not had to make this decsion in 10 years, and that both times the ponies were old and it has been their time.
This is not the first time I have said goodbye to Juno mind. We did sell her in 1995. Oh how we regret that! We got her back in 1999. This goodbye is final, and final is a sad word.
I am lucky that I have my family, and my kids who don't know about it are keeping me busy and things normal.
I have found some lovely photos of Juno throughout her time with us, and will post those maybe tomorrow, a lasting memory.

touchstone

Visit site
It is only final in the sense it will end her pain and any possible future suffering, her memories will live on forever with you. (I believe that the physical isn't the only life anyway.)

I think it is probably better done a little earlier than you expected, less time to get upset and once it is done I always feel a sense of relief along with the sadness of course.

I hope all goes well tomorrow for you both, will be thinking of you and at least she can go while the weather is lovely and the sun on her back with a mouthful of grass. xx

misst

Visit site
Thinking of you at this awful time. Wishing for a peaceful parting for her and peace of mind for you. It is good that you know that you are doing the right thing though, and this will help. The hurt lessens with time and the good memories stay for ever. ((hugs)) x

mymare

Visit site
Sitting crying for you Ruth. I understand everything you've said about "last night" "last morning" etc. I had my mare for 28 years and went through the toughest 24 hours waiting for the time to come. No words can describe it.

I will be thinking of you and Juno at 10am tomorrow.

Massive hugs to you Ruth xxxxxx

Sadiemay

Visit site
I am so very sorry to read this :(

I have tears flowing, my heart is breaking for you.

As the owner of a very much loved 24 YO who has been part of my life for nearly 20 years nearly I am dreading more than anything being in this same situation, which undoubtably will come.

You are absolutely doing the right thing for Juno, much better a week or month too early than a day too late. She is such a lucky girl to have had you as her mum for so many years and she will be thankful for the release from the aches and pains that burden her now.

I hope you dont mind but I thought I would post this poem in the hope you find some comfort from it, maybe not now but in the future.

How can I bear to lose you,
my precious gentle one,
to know that you will not be here
when my day is done.

So much of my heart, my love,
have I given up to you,
how then can I stand the pain
now that your life is through.

My grief overwhelms me,
the tears so freely flow,
how can I carry on my life,
with a heart that's laden so.

Then the answer comes to me
from the stillness in my soul,
remembering the love we shared
will help to make me whole.

I'll hold you in a special place,
so deep within my heart,
and in these loving memories,
we'll never be apart.

You will not be so far away,
your presence I will feel.
I'll wrap myself in memories
and slowly I will heal.

The years we shared, the little joys,
the laughter and the tears,
my love for you will never die,
but strengthen with the years.

So farewell, my precious love,
I gently let you go,
and pray to all the Gods' there be
that you will always know,

I loved you so,
my little one, that love will never cease,
I gave you warmth, I gave you love,
and now I give you peace

Will be thinking of you and Juno at 10am today. May she pass peacefully and sleep well.

We are here for you at this difficult time ((HUG))

Sadiemay

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
What a beautiful poem. Having just been through this on Monday, my heart and love goes out to you and Juno today. I hope she will be at peace, and everything goes well for you both. It is never easy I know and you are in my thoughts. You are doing the right thing by her.She'll always be there no matter what.
Bless you both xxxx

lochpearl

Visit site
Thinking of you now. Just try and remember that you are doing the most selfless thing for Juno and she will love you dearly for it. Stay strong and lots of hugs xxxx

Rana

Visit site
Had to make the same decision 6 weeks ago. Old horse seeing out her final summer, just lost interest in life. She was looking so well, it was the hardest decision to make. But I couldn't take the risk that she would go downhill and I'd have to make an emergency decision.

Hunt will be fine, they see it all the time. We had the local slaughterman out - OH kindly made all the arrangements, but I was a wreck on the day. They understood and dealt with me as well as they did my horse. Couldn't have asked for better.

Very brave of you, it's still very raw for me, so I completely understand and am thinking of you xx

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I hope that everything has gone to plan for you and your beloved horse today, no words can describe how you feel at a time like this, by reading all the posts i hope that you find comfort in the kind words and thoughts you have received.

There won't be a single horseperson on here that hasn't been through this experience already or will go through it in the years to come. As people have said, it is the final act of kindness, as hard as it is that is just so so true and something that i believe in passionatly.

Make sure that you look after yourself, have a good cry, remember the good times and feel blessed that you were privaleged in owning such a wonderful creature.

Take care and gentle hugs.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Not being the first to lose your horse doesn't make it any better. 20 years is a long time so just remember those good times with her. Hope it all goes well.

berry

Visit site
My god that poem has just made me cry big time!!!:( dam pregnancy hormones. So sorry RNM that you have had to make such a heartbreaking decision thinking of you and your mare x x x