it just keeps getting worse :(

PollyP99

Visit site
When my mare had her incident in the trailer (bone deep puncture to the fetlock joint and servered artery) the vet was very insistent on tapping the joint for fluid to check for capsule invasion and damage. I was not aware of the issues around this type of injury and was talked into getting her to hospital within the hour (I did not want to travel her since she had had such a traumatic time in the trailer). He told me straight 'this is a potential life ending injury', shocking to hear but woke me up! She wasn't flushed in end as the test showed no infection/invasion of the capsule, vet repeated the test in day three as she went really lame having been mildy lame prior. She continued to be shockingly lame intermittently throughout recovery so was X-rayed twice to check all was well. Anyway the point is it could be many things or nothing but the vets treatment of this sounds a little off, I would want her in if she were mine and I say this as a convert (would not have been keen before). Please do call them again if she's not a LOT better today, it could save her ridden career or even her life.

serena2005

Visit site
So I've just got home,totally drained!

News is all good so far, tests show the joint is not infected, there is another area they want to test for infection as the fluid sack in the joint is not as full as it should be, but it's not as serious as the part of the joint they all ready got the all clear from.

Plan of action... To inject antibiotics directly into the joint and intravenous for the next few days.

Just as I was writing this the vet phoned to say she couldn't get a sample from the bit she wanted, but injected fluid into it which didn't come out again so she is positive there's no infection there either.

Shes in her stable now and is resting with a hot bandage on :) I am one relieved mummy

serena2005

Visit site
A Very bad day :'(
Fluffy is currently in surgery having the joint flushed. She's been given a 60% success rate.
They couldn't find the infection but had to act upon instinct as they were running out of options, and she is too lame just for an infected wound.

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
oh, no ... have been following this and was so hoping it wouldn't come to this. I've had experience of this and it's not good - sadly we lost the mare.

I have got everything crossed for you - 60% is still a reasonably good chance and they have acted relatively quickly. Good luck xx

mytwofriends

Visit site
Just read the thread for the first time and didn't expect this. I hope all is ok. Update us when you can, and in the meantime I'm sending positive vibes for you and Fluffy.

crabbymare

Visit site
oh no :( when I read from last night I had hoped for better news. at least they are acting as quickly as they can to get it under control. hope you have a better update when they have finished

serena2005

Visit site
Thanks everyone, to be honest I'm not very optimistic at the moment.
I'm expecting the worse so it's not a total shock if it comes to it.

serena2005

Visit site
Finally got the long awaited update from the vet.
Good news: the lower tarsal tendon sheath that was expected to be infected isn't.
Bad news: the superficial flexor tendon has been damaged along with some ligaments.
Where the fibers of the tendon was torn was covered with infection as well as pockets of infection all around the area.

The wound has been cleaned and stitched a little with a hole to allow any more infection to escape.

She has got a tense few days while we hope for improvement, then we can start to breathe a slight sign of relief

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
What a truly terrible time for you ... good luck to both you and Fluffy ... at least you know that everything that can be done has been done, and everything crossed now for a good outcome x Look after yourself while you are going through this as much as you can.

Fun Times

Visit site
Really hoping for a positive outcome. You have only to read High Hope's thread about her mare that was fitting to remember that really miraculous outcomes can come from quite dire situations.

serena2005

Visit site
Went to visit fluff today, the vets are positive about the lameness or lack of she's showing at them moment. But she is bandaged from thigh to foot and can't bend the leg so I'm not convinced she's not still extremely lame, she is also very stressed, box walking and running her teeth up and down the walks.

They are seeing the box walking as a sign she's comfortable on the leg, but I'm concerned she's ignoring the pain. I've told them she box walks when stressed but if she's still like it later I will voice my concerns more.

When I first got there she seem glazed over, and just became more irritable the long I stayed :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Went to visit fluff today, the vets are positive about the lameness or lack of she's showing at them moment. But she is bandaged from thigh to foot and can't bend the leg so I'm not convinced she's not still extremely lame, she is also very stressed, box walking and running her teeth up and down the walks.

They are seeing the box walking as a sign she's comfortable on the leg, but I'm concerned she's ignoring the pain. I've told them she box walks when stressed but if she's still like it later I will voice my concerns more.

When I first got there she seem glazed over, and just became more irritable the long I stayed :(

Aw, you poor thing. She is probably just anticipating going home and wondering why you just don't get on with it, lol. Any of the horses here would be the same. I bet she's a bit more settled when you're not there because she won't be expecting anything. Keeping my fingers crossed for her. She's so lovely.