Itchy Dog - Help!

silverbullet

Visit site
One of my retrievers Barney has been really itchy over the last few days. He scratches alot and if you scratch him he loves it.

There is nothing to see in his coat - fleas, flea muck etc. He was wormed 2 weeks ago with frontline.

His skin also looks fine not red/irritated or sore in any way.

He is prone to hot spots on his skin which we have special shampoo and cream for but they don't usually make him itch.

Do you think it's worth bathing him in his malaseb shampoo, or treating him for fleas again, or doing something else.

Other than the itchiness he's fine in himself.

All suggestions welcome!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Keep trying the Malaseb. I have to use it at least once a week if my dog is itching.
Try dropping him to a lower protein food, he won't be as active as he once was so the food may be making him 'hot'. He's not in work at nine, I assume, so he doesn't need that much fizz.
Has anything at all changed? New carpet, new cleaning product (esp anything with pine in it) or may the drop in temperatures have made you turn up the thermostat?

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
the tiny red harvest mites are around at the moment!! and hard to spot too. i would opt for a couple of shampoos 3 to 4 days apart. if still continuing another dose of flea stuff and/or a trip to the vets. dont forget to wash his bedding too!!

silverbullet

Visit site

soloabe

Visit site
I would keep up with the Malaseb

I would try switching him to a grain free food. Lots of dogs become intolerant to grains as they get older.
I would not switch his protein anywhere below 20% He just needs a protein of better quality.

silverbullet

Visit site
Just to update. Went into the vets this AM to get some more malaseb. Sopke to vet who agreed that he may be allergic to something.

I've got a bag of cereal free food to try him on and some shampoo to soothe his skin (Epi-Soothe).

He's also got some piriton. If this doesn't help I need to take him in for a demodex?? injection.

Fingers crossed though he seems a bit better after a wash with the shampoo and a piriton.