Its GRIM at Bradwall...

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Just declared. Seen a long list of withdrawals. Fences are blowing down mid round. Xc is boggy. Urghhhh. Torn between unloading to tack up for dressage or just going home!

Amber is not spooky so the wind and rain wont bother her. Decisions, decisions.....

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Would see how the dressage goes and probably the SJ
If any doubt at any point that could be a negative rather than a positive experience, then withdraw and go home
If do SJ and XC - just remember to make sure she has plenty of impulsion at every fence as sticky ground will make everything that bit more effort
We'll review the situation on whether we go tomorrow later on today

joosie

Visit site
Eugh. I would do the dressage so you've got something out of it, and then go home.
Jumps blowing down while people are going round is dangerous & if the venue haven't got sand bags etc to make sure they stay upright then they are taking a risk with people's safety.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Eugh. I would do the dressage so you've got something out of it, and then go home.
Jumps blowing down while people are going round is dangerous & if the venue haven't got sand bags etc to make sure they stay upright then they are taking a risk with people's safety.

In fact, really, the organisers should have cancelled if they can't keep the jumps upright.

Michen

Visit site
Think your mare is quite sensitive from what you've said, so no I wouldn't be SJing if the jumps are blowing down. Just asking for trouble really and not safe anyway.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Well that was eventful!

The jumps blowing down 'intel' came from my YO's teenage daughter who competed a few hours before us. I think that may have been her being over dramatic or the wind dropped by the time we got there as when I went to view a few rounds they all looked pretty sturdy and stable. It actually looked to be riding quite well. No tight turns and I saw a few clears and no slips.

Anyway I went to warm up (ha ha more like freeze solid) for dressage. Amber was going sideways as we got hit by a sudden hailstorm and I did think 'why are we doing this'. But I decided that dealing with adverse conditions is part of eventing and she needed to just suck it up and listen to me regardless of the weather. And bless her she did.

She rode a lovely, calm, obedient test. She was not straight as she kept bending her head and body away from the wind but I'll let her off that. It wont be a good score but I was thrilled with her attitude which was kind of resigned and accepting as opposed to having a tantrum or freaking out.

Amber is forward and enthusiastic but not spooky at all. She's only sensitive in an 'easily offended if you don't ask nicely' sense. She's bold and brave and pretty tough really. The warm up fences were terrible as everyone had to use the same 3 but the ground in the arena looked ok. She jumped well over 1-4. Was in hand and letting me ride. Then I took a terrible line to the double and she ran out of the 2nd element. I read the angle totally wrong then made it worse by panicking and staring at the first element instead of just looking up at the 2nd to tell her where we were going and letting her work it out. She jumped fine 2nd time and clear to the last. Total numpty that I am I forgot the 'let her travel' advice as I was so happy we were round safely so I tried to play safe for the final upright and buried her. She got stuck in a sloppy bit and skidded into the jump and stopped. I toppled off. The most ridiculously unnecessary fall. So mad with myself. So that was my day over. Amber was totally unconcerned afterwards. Just grazed! Oh well we live to fight another day.

I was in 2 minds all day about what to do but I'm glad we went. It was E for SJ but tbh we weren't far off a clear! I've felt far less in control many times before even if the scores were better.

There were plenty of WDs - around 10% maybe - but that means 90% going ahead so I don't think the conditions were unsafe. They were just challenging and I feel really pleased with how she behaved in really testing conditions.

oldie48

Visit site
AE, Well done. I love that
"dealing with adverse conditions is part of eventing" attitude!
I struggled in the wind to get my two out but they just stuck their heads down and ate. I think we can sometimes worry too much about how they will cope with the weather. Me? I've stayed in doors, so I take my hat off to you!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm glad it all went well (sort of) and that the conditions had died down a bit by the time you got there - the wind came over this way, this afternoon! And it had been bad enough in the morning:eek:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
one of those learning occasions!
well done for getting out there and having a good crack at it. Sounds like it was the right thing to do, despite the end result and you know your horse is not bothered so you just have to deal with the dented pride :)

Asha

Visit site
Fair play AE even attempting it today . The weather just didn’t give up at all. Constant wind and rain . The wind kept blowing our flags and conifers over . The ground team where kept very busy . But fair play to the whole team , everyone worked so hard to keep it going, and we couldn’t have been looked after any better . Even though the weather was awful , we had a great time

I did watch out for you and wondered what had happened . Glad your ok x

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Good to know she is happy to dressage and SJ on sticky /slippy ground - some really don't like it. Well done both of you for giving it a damned good go in terrible conditions

It's tough to enjoy eventing in that weather, it was bad enough going out for a hack in all our waterproof gear. & well done all at Bradwall for keeping the show on the road today and preparing things this evening for tomorrow, getting up to go in a few hours(!)

Hope Eland is a good day tomorrow for everybody

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Thanks Oldie48 - I agree they are much less bothered by weather than we are.
PAS - the wind came in squally gusts but it was not too bad really. Amber copes well with it.
MP - yes a good learning experience for me, if a painful way to learn!
Asha you guys were heroes today. Everyone was so friendly and helpful.
ScampiBigMan good luck tomorrow. X

Somerford next. Fingers crossed for a MUCH better day.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Text at 4:30 that abandoned today. Really sorry for the Bradwall team. V grateful for such an early decision and text. Llanymynech for us next with P then Somerford with R.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
That's a shame. Glad you hadn't already set off. British weather!! Everyone got sunburnt at Kelsall I heard - I picked the wrong week to go to Cyprus!! Not yet heard from Eland so fingers crossed that goes ahead.

Apparently the SJ fences at Bradwall were sand bagged yesterday morning after the event had started.

Mule

Visit site
That's a shame. Glad you hadn't already set off. British weather!! Everyone got sunburnt at Kelsall I heard - I picked the wrong week to go to Cyprus!! Not yet heard from Eland so fingers crossed that goes ahead.

Apparently the SJ fences at Bradwall were sand bagged yesterday morning after the event had started.
Well done for getting out there. You sound very motivated. I've completely lost interest in competing.

Cowpony

Visit site
Well done for doing it!

I was doing dressage at Wellington on Saturday and the plastic fence dividing the warm-up area from the arenas blew down a couple of times. My spooky half Welsh drama queen was one of the best behaved there when that happened, although she was very suspicious when the fence creaked in the wind. Then one of the arenas blew away during somebody's test. Boards and letter markers flying everywhere! They decided to remove one arena and run the class in one of their permanent arenas, which didn't work well for us because my horse spent more time looking for the other horses than listening to my leg. But as you say, they have to learn to compete in all conditions.