Jodhpur boot recommendations

Flick240

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I’ve been riding for over 20 years and have always only ever bought cheap riding short boots. In Jan I treated myself to some Ariat yard boots as my old ones gave up and oh my goodness the difference is insane! I now want to invest in some good short boots for riding in. From reading reviews it seems the ariat ones have gone down in quality the last few years.

it would be great to get peoples recommendations on short boots that have been bought in the last year. I’m looking for ones with good grip as I struggle pain and position in my ankles and lower leg.

I don’t get out to shows much as I have a youngster still learning and obviously lockdown has stopped shows as well but I do plan to show her in a year or so hopefully! Therefore the boots will be mainly for wearing whilst schooling at the yard.

budget wise I have around £150 to spend.

thanks so much for your help!

ArklePig

Visit site
I have Dublin Altitude. I only got them in January but they've been worn nearly daily, and are still perfect. They clean really nicely too. I use them for yard work and riding cause I'm too lazy to change tbh.

Flick240

Visit site
I have Dublin Altitude. I only got them in January but they've been worn nearly daily, and are still perfect. They clean really nicely too. I use them for yard work and riding cause I'm too lazy to change tbh.
Ok amazing! What is the grip on them like when riding?

ArklePig

Visit site
Actually I think it's pretty good. I only returned to riding over the last 2 years and since I bought those I feel my foot position has improved a good bit. And I really do think that's because they have a good grip. I will say they were a bit tight at first so if you're in anyway between two sizes maybe size up.

Flick240

Visit site
Actually I think it's pretty good. I only returned to riding over the last 2 years and since I bought those I feel my foot position has improved a good bit. And I really do think that's because they have a good grip. I will say they were a bit tight at first so if you're in anyway between two sizes maybe size up.
Awesome! Thank you so much! I’ll have a look into these! Xx

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve never found anything better than Ariat for all round comfort. The soles are designed with a lot of cushioning. I’ve got Tellurides and Devon-pros as short boots but the latter would be over the £150 budget. Ive also got Grassmeres and Bromonts for long boots. The only ones I’ve ever had a problem with were the Windermere’s as the lining detached making them difficult to impossible to take off. You’re not supposed to have much tread on riding boots so don’t get anything too chunky as your boot could get stuck in the stirrup.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I have a pair of black shires moretta raffaele boots that I wear with ariat chaps, they're lovely and still look perfect after a year's hard use, they seem very good quality and are really comfy. I like them so much I treated myself to a pair of brown moretta lorenza boots to go with my brown chaps.

Flick240

Visit site
I’ve never found anything better than Ariat for all round comfort. The soles are designed with a lot of cushioning. I’ve got Tellurides and Devon-pros as short boots but the latter would be over the £150 budget. Ive also got Grassmeres and Bromonts for long boots. The only ones I’ve ever had a problem with were the Windermere’s as the lining detached making them difficult to impossible to take off. You’re not supposed to have much tread on riding boots so don’t get anything too chunky as your boot could get stuck in the stirrup.
Thank you! Yes totally agree re not too much tread. It’s just the cheap ones I have are like silk smooth on the bottom haha!

Flick240

Visit site
I have a pair of black shires moretta raffaele boots that I wear with ariat chaps, they're lovely and still look perfect after a year's hard use, they seem very good quality and are really comfy. I like them so much I treated myself to a pair of brown moretta lorenza boots to go with my brown chaps.
Lovely! Thank you I’ll take a look :)

Visit site
I wouldn't touch Premier Equine. A lad at the yard bought a pair a few years ago and they never broke in properly, even after 3 weeks they were still horrendous and then they started to split. Expensive boots made from cheap crap materials.

Flick240

Visit site
I wouldn't touch Premier Equine. A lad at the yard bought a pair a few years ago and they never broke in properly, even after 3 weeks they were still horrendous and then they started to split. Expensive boots made from cheap crap materials.
This is good to know. Thank you!

timefort

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with bareback boots?
I have a pair of bareback boots. They're about 3years old, ridden in and worn every day at the yard and they scrub up well and are extremely comfy - they're the only boots I've had which didn't require thick socks to break in.

I also bought another pair of bareback boots with a show discount to wear everyday in non stable life. They are also extremely comfortable, but after 3months some of the stitching started to come undone. I got in touch with the company, and they sent me postage to return them, followed by new replacements and an apology. The replacements have been completely fine. With customer service like that I would definitely recommend.

Flick240

Visit site
I have a pair of bareback boots. They're about 3years old, ridden in and worn every day at the yard and they scrub up well and are extremely comfy - they're the only boots I've had which didn't require thick socks to break in.

I also bought another pair of bareback boots with a show discount to wear everyday in non stable life. They are also extremely comfortable, but after 3months some of the stitching started to come undone. I got in touch with the company, and they sent me postage to return them, followed by new replacements and an apology. The replacements have been completely fine. With customer service like that I would definitely recommend.
Oh wow that’s amazing! What great customer service! Their boots look really good! I’m very tempted!!

JulesRules

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with bareback boots?
Yes, just came here to recommend them. I bought a pair last year and loved them so much I've already bought another pair. They are so comfortable and the leather is soft and gorgeous.

I lost faith with Ariat after my country boots split and leaked after a year. I expect better for nearly £200.

I have the Windsor boots for riding, which I mainly use for lessons and clinics, and Kentucky Storm for daily use round the yard and also for riding.

There is quite often a sale. My Kentucky boots were reduced a lot because they had been worn once in a photoshoot.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I love the fit and feel of Ariats- I have two long pairs (a 'casual' pair and a competition pair) and a pair of johdpur boots (the newest pair). The only disappointment I have had is that the toes of the johd boots lost their colour very quickly, despite the fact that I am fairly OCD and polish them after every use. If I put a few coats of polish on they will look ok for the length of a lesson, but not as good as you'd expect for the price. My current pair are actually replacements from the shop after I had to return the first pair after the dye literally ran off the leather when I walked across a damp lawn the first time I wore them.

Having said that, Ariats are the comfiest riding and yard boots I've found for my foot shape, and the only off-the-peg long boots that fit my long, skinny legs properly, so I would buy another pair.

Flick240

Visit site
Yes, just came here to recommend them. I bought a pair last year and loved them so much I've already bought another pair. They are so comfortable and the leather is soft and gorgeous.

I lost faith with Ariat after my country boots split and leaked after a year. I expect better for nearly £200.

I have the Windsor boots for riding, which I mainly use for lessons and clinics, and Kentucky Storm for daily use round the yard and also for riding.

There is quite often a sale. My Kentucky boots were reduced a lot because they had been worn once in a photoshoot.
I think these may be the ones! I like the Idaho ones and the non storm ones are on offer :)

Sealine

Visit site
I’ve always had Ariats but I did buy a pair of Premier Equine a couple of years ago and they were no where near as comfy as Ariat and fell to bits very quickly so I’ve gone back to Ariat.