Jodhpurs or Breeches, which do you prefer?

trottingon

Visit site
I had a pony as a child, always wore jodhpurs because that's what all kids wore back then.

I've returned to riding as a mature "curvaceous" adult female, and have bought a load of jodhpurs, probably because that's what I know best and feel comfortable in. But I keep eyeing up breeches wondering whether to take the plunge and get some?

So come on, what are the advantages and disadvantages of both and which do you prefer?

TrasaM

Visit site
I prefer breeches. I find that the fold overs on the jodhpurs are too bulky under my long boots and my chaps. I've got some jodhpurs but I chopped the bottom of the legs off. :) usually a better variety of fabrics in the breeches too.

Shooting Star

Visit site
I like the closer fit of the leg in breeches - jods with a turnup at the bottom are particularly annoying.

Have to say though that I find it hard to find breeches in a fabric and cut that I like so usually end up with jods which works ok a I ride in 1/2 chaps anyway ... although do have some Horze branded ones which are jod length but with a velcro closure aka breeches which are quite nice :)

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi,

Depends on your choice of footwear - long boots - Breeches - Jod boots/riding wellies - Jods.

I like both for different reasons - see above.

However, I also ride in jeans :eek:

Littlelegs

Visit site
I prefer breeches, but mainly wear jods. Breeches often have annoyingly high waists, but jods come in lower cut varieties, & tend to be longer in the leg. And more importantly, are cheaper, & reasonably posh compared to the primark or faded downgraded to yard wear leggings I usually ride in. Competing though always breeches.

DosyMare

Visit site
I only have breeches and a selection of lovely long socks.

Also in summer often seen wearing breeches turned up with flip flops in the supermarket - sexy I know lol :)
I like the fact they come up Simon Cowell high - cant be riding with a builders bum on display.

Last edited:

Archiepoo

Visit site
if i get jods i always cut the turnups off -i cant stand lumps under my socks ,much prefer breeches except they do tend to be a bit short in the leg and thats annoying too!!

posie_honey

Visit site
alwyas breeches but also always a decent make - i figure that as i wear them every day i can justify good quality ones - i like pikeur, jeffries, schumacher... those sort. occasionally you find great deals on ebay ;)

wiglet

Visit site
I only have breeches and a selection of lovely long socks.
Me too :) I only wear breeches - Jodhpurs are for kids.

alwyas breeches but also always a decent make - i figure that as i wear them every day i can justify good quality ones - i like pikeur, jeffries, schumacher... those sort. occasionally you find great deals on ebay ;)
Pikeur and Cavallo are my favourites but I do crave a pair of Kingsland breeches :D

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Breeches :) i'm a shortie though so they come down to my ankles anyway!

Always had jods as a child, and i do have a couple of pairs that i do jobs like clipping in so my nice breeches dont get ruined, and mucking out etc as they are a bit thicker for the winter and the chunk at the bottom in my wellies doesnt really matter.

kc100

Visit site
Always breeches for me - but then again I have short legs and I always ride in long boots, so jods would be too long and the turn up would annoy me under long boots.

Whatever you are comfortable in is the main thing though - dont worry too much what everyone else rides in and go with what is best for you!

harlequinwalk

Visit site
I prefer breeches for sure but I do have a couple of pairs of jodhpurs. I just can't understand why breeches are always much more expensive than jods, even at the bottom end of the market? There's less material!

pansymouse

Visit site
Neither - I was a breeches woman until I discovered riding tights and nothing to persuade me away from them now. My favourite are FITS which are frightenly epensive and very hard to get in the UK but worth the hunt and the money. The comfort and fit of tights is a dream.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Breeches for me, always ride in either long boots or country boots. I prefer high waisted (can't be doing with always having to hoick them up :)) I always buy them in long (if the brand doesn't do long I don't buy them) as I can't be doing with them not being long enough in the leg and potentially having 'penguin crotch' :eek:

crabbymare

Visit site
Breeches as they are comfortable with short or long boots also with chaps and wellies and the big bonus is I can wear silly socks with them :D

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Wiglet - you'd think so wouldn't you, but i know a few friends have had problems too.

Mine have gone in the crotch :-( several times - in all 4 pairs of everyday ones - seriously unimpressed! (And once whilst getting on in front of someone - oh the shame!!!)
My comp ones are fine atm but don't get used as much.

Tzarinaarabians

Visit site
Breeches for me as I'm short and jods are too long. Breeches come down to my ankles lol

I'm like BarmyC, short in the leg, so breeches all the way for me. I hate the way jodhs go baggier after the calf. It is annoying that they are so much more expensive than jodhs, though.

MoodyMare11

Visit site
I've always been a joddy person till I found some nice looking breeches online and for only £9 I couldnt argue! since then I have brought 3 more pairs I need to buy a show pair though but Breeches all the way now

:):D