Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend Plans

SEL

Visit site
After an icky hack on Thursday with baby cob napping back to my OH (who was on foot) I decided to get my act together and remember I could ride. We've moved some of the fencing in the biggest of the fields so I popped him down there and really worked on getting him forward and off my leg ignoring the Kevin the teenager strops. I have been a bit worried there was something wrong but after trying to show me his best mid air manoeuvres (they were pathetic!) we did some decent canter transitions so then I decided to tackle Thursday's mini hack again.

The advantage of already being warmed up is I could do forward, forward, forward all the way past the pony eating goats and keep him moving down the bridlepath at a trot. Neck strap on for the spooks and I just kept him going. In fact we went all the way into the little village at the end of the bridlepath, past the 2 scary dog houses and back. He was dripping & so was I

And we did the same again today. Pouring rain and high winds meant a few wiggles and jumps but he did just crack on. I left him flat out in the field looking exhausted. Day off tomorrow looking at the forecast but hopefully we've stopped the Can't Won't, Shan't behaviour - he's lovely when he's actually moving!

j1ffy

Visit site
Good day out today for Chilli’s first ‘away’ competition. Warm up was on grass in the XC field, he was a bit anxious to start with but settled and was listening nicely.

He was very cute walking to the school - very unsure but listening to me. His tension built through the test and we had one break into canter then a sweet leap at the end when he knocked some rubber onto a white board and thought it was going to eat him ?. He did the smoothest spook possible, I think he wanted to keep me in the saddle!

https://youtube.com/shorts/S0mDhnQSk9o?feature=share

He was a bit more confident and cheeky in the second test, still very tense and he did a half-hearted nap at one point but kept going and listened. Ended up with 63% for the first test and 66.7% and fifth place for the second. Loads more to come when he learns to relax.

Best of all, he was a pleasure to take out. He’ll sleep well this afternoon.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Good day out today for Chilli’s first ‘away’ competition. Warm up was on grass in the XC field, he was a bit anxious to start with but settled and was listening nicely.

He was very cute walking to the school - very unsure but listening to me. His tension built through the test and we had one break into canter then a sweet leap at the end when he knocked some rubber onto a white board and thought it was going to eat him ?. He did the smoothest spook possible, I think he wanted to keep me in the saddle!

https://youtube.com/shorts/S0mDhnQSk9o?feature=share

He was a bit more confident and cheeky in the second test, still very tense and he did a half-hearted nap at one point but kept going and listened. Ended up with 63% for the first test and 66.9% and fifth place for the second. Loads more to come when he learns to relax.

Best of all, he was a pleasure to take out. He’ll sleep well this afternoon.

He is lush ?

scats

Visit site
Had a bit of a rough couple of days since losing my honorary Grandad on Thursday night and I just don’t feel like doing anything. Can’t even muster the enthusiasm to sit on a horse.
I’m currently sat crying at the farm with the cat. Shes looking at me like I’ve gone mad.
01A36030-A00C-422C-9D5B-9B4D6CA659B7.jpeg

mavandkaz

Visit site
Not a huge amount happening here, have had the whole week off, and after camp made the conscious decision to actually have a break as I have been really close to burning out. So mainly just hacking - lovely 3hr one on Thursday, with some nice canters, and timed it perfectly to reach the top of the downs just as the three Hercules flew over on their way back to base.
And little Maximus tried his hardest to be the unicorn he desperately wants to be ?
Screenshot_20220604-182857~3.png

Wishfilly

Visit site
Not a huge amount happening here, have had the whole week off, and after camp made the conscious decision to actually have a break as I have been really close to burning out. So mainly just hacking - lovely 3hr one on Thursday, with some nice canters, and timed it perfectly to reach the top of the downs just as the three Hercules flew over on their way back to base.
And little Maximus tried his hardest to be the unicorn he desperately wants to be ?
View attachment 93731

That photo! Bless him!

J&S

Visit site
Horse show over, thank heavens. And Heavens came into it a lot..... they truly opened! Thunder and lightning over head, pouring rain, strong wind, it gave us the lot but the horsey people played on! I do the judges/stewards' refreshment tent and I couldn't put up the sides because of the wind, so rain poured in and the plates got an extra wash or two. It eventually calmed down for lunch which was rather haphazard by comparison to what I usually do. Some how I made over 100 cups of tea or coffee and several home made, yummy cakes were eaten though, so not all a disaster. Competitors were adorned with souvenir jubilee rosettes and lots of cups and trophies went home with happy people. Sadly we won't have made that much to give away this year.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Horse show over, thank heavens. And Heavens came into it a lot..... they truly opened! Thunder and lightning over head, pouring rain, strong wind, it gave us the lot but the horsey people played on! I do the judges/stewards' refreshment tent and I couldn't put up the sides because of the wind, so rain poured in and the plates got an extra wash or two. It eventually calmed down for lunch which was rather haphazard by comparison to what I usually do. Some how I made over 100 cups of tea or coffee and several home made, yummy cakes were eaten though, so not all a disaster. Competitors were adorned with souvenir jubilee rosettes and lots of cups and trophies went home with happy people. Sadly we won't have made that much to give away this year.

Well done for making the day a success for everyone in the tricky weather!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Had a bit of a rough couple of days since losing my honorary Grandad on Thursday night and I just don’t feel like doing anything. Can’t even muster the enthusiasm to sit on a horse.
I’m currently sat crying at the farm with the cat. Shes looking at me like I’ve gone mad.
View attachment 93730

So sorry scats. Xx

Liosa

Visit site
I love the instructor 'wait, wait, wait' and you can see Bog's ears twitch as he latches onto the fence and thinks **** waiting I'm going jumping!! Last one was fab.

Haha that's exactly what he's saying the monkey!

SEL

Visit site
View attachment 93730
Sorry Scats ☹️ I'm not sure cats are programmed to give sympathy tho!

Bernster

Visit site
Sorry to read that Scats.

Glad we picked yesterday to do sj arena hire as the weather was really good. Both horses did really well, and both riders were happy with their progress ☺️ I’m still a bit all over the place at times but we’re getting there. Kept them teeny tiny as I ride like a plonker when they get any bigger ?. We had a cuppa back at the yard, then early pub dinner in a beer garden - these are some of my fav days!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bfrmi_1S5kauPJyT_2X9Azrw

(Sorry - Video cuts out as friend’s camera does weird things when it zooms)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Weather's a bit of a washout today so staying indoors!

Friday's hack was brilliant!

It was our longest hack yet, a circular route taking about an hour and a half. The bridleway passes through some very steep sheep fields where you spiral upwards to the top of the hill where their is a particularly steep slope. Riding him up it was funny, I just had to give him the reins, lean forwards and let him pick his way. He was superb as you'd expect from a Fell pony. ?

We then passed very close to a wind turbine without incident and out on to a road that is renowned for pig ignorant drivers. Bo was fine with it all and we plodded home where he got a big hug and some polos! He only spooked once at some Swaledale lambs on the moors. Other lambs are fine but apparently the Swaledales are little devil's. ?‍♀️

Absolutely loving our adventures together.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yay, BH went to his first jumping show! It was a teeny tiny 'stressless' one, no competition wear, no fillers/doubles or spreads.
He was rather excited when we arrived to find many lorries and other horses/ponies scurrying around but after a walk round the car park to take it all in, he went to the collecting ring and was mannerly.
When BH is worried, he slows down. We managed a canter and jump in the collecting ring but he fell to trot wherever the other horses were. Just needs sympathetic match practice I think.
In the ring he was very green and slow! We couldn't hold a canter all the way round as he was generally unsure but... he went in, jumped what he was pointed at and didn't lose his head.
All clears got a rosette!
Good boy, BH.

Oh, even better, we hacked there and back and we had to exit beside the official who was sitting in a chair, holding a huge golfing umbrella up against the rain. Would I like her to take it down? Nah, it'll be fine, and it was. And THAT is BH's secret weapon.

285026877_1154310615112464_4105068711770029931_n.jpg
285068126_5173611986054864_4836469075843632595_n.jpg

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yay, BH went to his first jumping show! It was a teeny tiny 'stressless' one, no competition wear, no fillers/doubles or spreads.
He was rather excited when we arrived to find many lorries and other horses/ponies scurrying around but after a walk round the car park to take it all in, he went to the collecting ring and was mannerly.
When BH is worried, he slows down. We managed a canter and jump in the collecting ring but he fell to trot wherever the other horses were. Just needs sympathetic match practice I think.
In the ring he was very green and slow! We couldn't hold a canter all the way round as he was generally unsure but... he went in, jumped what he was pointed at and didn't lose his head.
All clears got a rosette!
Good boy, BH.

Oh, even better, we hacked there and back and we had to exit beside the official who was sitting in a chair, holding a huge golfing umbrella up against the rain. Would I like her to take it down? Nah, it'll be fine, and it was. And THAT is BH's secret weapon.

View attachment 93780
View attachment 93781

I love that "stressless" concept! Very cool.

What a lovely horse he is!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love that "stressless" concept! Very cool.

What a lovely horse he is!
Interesting fact...

Many years ago, I used to teach. I used the arena in the photo quite a lot as the owner was fab and I got cheaper hire rates as long as I would do the bing bong at shows or judge for trailblazer dressage, or do the office, if they were short.

Many of my clients would have liked to do a show but didn't have all the gear. I asked if we could do a dressage show, where we could pick a time and test, not wear gear and just award rosettes at the end of the day.

Initially, the owner said no, as they had recently done a stack of branding for the show centre and the motto was "Fun with Standards" and she felt that having a no show gear day was not upholding the brand new motto.

I begged! Just for a fun type dressage show, tests given a bit longer so not as many people in the ring and standards would be upheld by requiring hats and gloves, jodhs and boots, hair tidy etc.

She was talked round and some clients got to a show, yay, but we hadn't realised just how much it would take off with the local pros. I too found it great, as I was competing Ele at the time, but could book 9am if I wished, be done and dusted and still have much of the day left to teach elsewhere or help clients.

Soon word got round, the "Stressless" dressage days became more popular than the 'proper' competitions. Lots of people still did dress up and got their photos, but many didn't want to dirty the white numnah and breeches.

Soon, other local venues caught on and started the stressless concept. We should have trademarked it, like Trailblazers!!!

Then it moved to SJ too (although obviously you can't pick your time with SJ, it has to go on time bands for the heights). .

So, the owner invented the "Stressless" word, but I actually invented the competition! How's that for a claim to fame!

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a very stressy day at dressage. The first test had some really lovely moments and some tense and naughty moments too! I was happy with how I rode but didnt think we would do very well. We ended up 6th! With a great bit rosette too. Very very pleased. The second test was very stressy and he was a little naughty too. But that can be what happens on the day. Henry needs some more time in the dressage arena mainly, and I need to stay inspired for the dressage work. I am hoping to get him out at elementary this year so we have some work to do!

palo1

Visit site
Yay!! Alw went to her first xc clinic and loved it! :) We did corners, skinnies, roll tops, palisades, tiny tiger traps, tyres and all manner of things both uphill and downhill, Alw has never done any kind of xc clinic but she just ate it up and was fab about working around and away from the other horses - even a familiar friend. No puffing, blowing or sneezing and it was a cute hilly, twisty venue. Alw didn't miss a beat; very green for the first couple of jumps but then suddenly really flowing and confident. More work to be done and we were only working at 70cm but we just had such a lot of fun. I feel like I have won the lottery today and I am just so delighted that my little mare enjoyed herself. :) :) Happy days.

Peglo

Visit site
I guess I will start with our hack on Wednesday. I met up with my friend at the beach. I was happy to stay off the roads as Tali felt like a spring ready to ping but once on the beach she relaxed and we had a lovely time. She used to follow other horses but she’s so much more confident now that we cantered along the beach side by side. She only followed again when she was unsure going into the sea. I’ve not pushed her to go in as I want her to feel confident on the beach but she followed another horse in no bother.
A0FCF8E8-4304-4920-8FA4-309F24E373E3.jpg
Yesterday we went a solo hack. I prefer hacking with people because I’ve grown to like the social side but it’s good to go alone too. We had a canter with our boots on and they didn’t come off. ??
Tali’s decided she doesn’t like bushes though and there’s evil lurking in them. Absolutely nothing has happened when we’ve passed them so I’m no sure where her dislike has come from. Maybe it’s just because they’ve greened up but I won’t worry too much as she doesn’t actually do anything.

so onto today. My friend messaged saying the cross country is open so we booked in and off we went. I’ve never ridden on a course and Tali hasn’t either. I’m not going to lie, I was sh**ting bricks. Tali was really happy to be hacking around the course and so we popped some of the smaller jumps. Tali is just awesome. A couple of months ago she hadn’t jumped and now she’s popping solid jumps.

There was a few sketchy moments where I forgot to ride and I need to do so much work on myself. I have a tendency to want to lean forward and as Tali is quite green she cat leaps sometimes and then I’m falling onto her neck. She took off with me after one when I did this and because I was in such a raffle it took a while to sort myself out to pull her up but even when she takes off she does it in such a way that there’s no panicking and I know I can stop her. In fact I don’t even think I want to call it taking off. She took herself a (slowish) gallop with me not wanting her too. Also lost my stirrup a couple of times which I’ve not done for a while. So my friend gave me a row and told me I had to put my stirrups up at least one hole if not two. I put them up one and didn’t lose it again.

it was so so much fun though. Basically I’m crap and my pony is awesome as always. I’m going to share some pictures because she is fab but please don’t me too harsh on me ???
894CBC48-A669-4507-8AA9-8A29794A3BA8.jpg5BD1576D-8553-431C-B1CE-E04383ED7E4A.jpg9469083A-EC0A-4068-A8D3-0B84728AEF8D.jpg
taken off videos so not the best quality.

and just to top off a brilliant weekend (although not horse related, well kinda because I only started running again to keep my weight in check for Tali) I got a PB for my 5k at parkrun yesterday and got under 20 minutes with a time of 19.57. And I’d sconed a bottle o prosecco on Friday night ?

what a jubilee weekend. Even got the sun cream out. Well done everyone. And so sorry @scats. Big hug.

Sheep

Visit site
En route home from Millstreet now.
Bit of a drive ahead ?
1B866C1C-DE30-491C-9333-7E505B301BC1.jpeg

Lovely morning watching some of the xc and the 4* sj.

38FFB8FF-A57C-42AD-9850-DDDF4AEE2289.jpeg

The sj was great, the course was tricky and twisty - some super riding but not many clears! Laura C was last to go and was sitting on her dressage score, she could have afforded a couple of time penalties or a pole - the place was totally silent as she went round, even the commentator kept quiet and she got a huge round of applause. Superbly ridden round, made it look easy!

CD724555-5E30-491A-9801-2BD96D3F180C.jpeg

Petmurf

Visit site
Had a lovely hour hack with 2 friends this morning and we dodged the rain. We have to walk past 2 gates to their turnout fields and Tom was convinced I’d tacked him up and got on just to turn him out, he was very excited until he realised that wasn’t the plan so napped at the end of the farm track, I told the others to go in front and then he was oh ok if I have to ? bless him and his testing ways ?

teapot

Visit site
Two great lessons yesterday as thought sod it how bad could a group jump lesson be... Ahahahaha oh what a fool I was :D Should say I last jumped in the summer of 2019 over the dizzying heights of 70 max before I decided flatwork was the way to go.

Get to yard to find my flat horse was now my jump horse. I'd wanted him on the flat - he's not my usual type, bit quirky, can be sharp, and one you have to get on side to get his best work out of. I'd also only ridden twice him twice before - ideal for a rusty jump lesson right? By time I'd had a slight discussion with a member of yard staff that a) I was safe enough to get on by myself while waiting for coach and b) could I have some boots that fitted :rolleyes: (yard rule) I'd shoved my nerves down.

Soon realised as I warming up that this was an established jump lesson with a coach that likes distances, spreads, and fillers. Getting over first x-pole, then a spread was a nerve settler. It was going super well, lines, putting fences together, until I rode like a spanner into a related distance of upright to reasonable sized oxer off a curving line, took my leg off and he stopped, I didn't! (I wasn't the first to hit the deck though ;)). Got back on, sorted myself out, and corrected my mistake. Was asked to do it again, and completely messed up my approach and canter to fence before related distance and he said no, and off I went, again (rusty much?) Not nasty stops, but a stride out I thought we were going... Laughed it off, got back on, and then just spent some time finding his fifth gear. A true forwards jumping canter on decent horses isn't something I have a huge amount of experience of and was the orignal reason I first started training where I ride (he is also a level up from what I'd jumped previously) so that woke me up and was very cleverly coached through it. Ended up popping a couple more uprights to end on a good note. I'm actually pretty chuffed despite my splatinum jubilee efforts and came away wanting more :D

Popped him back, apologised for my awful riding, and hopped straight on my fave schoolmaster pony for a cracking flat lesson. He went the best he's gone for me, complete with super comfy dressage saddle which my thighs were screaming for. Amazing what a double grounding does for proving you can actually ride! Great to be able to debrief properly too and have a bit of plan going forward. Given a year ago I was being screamed at for well breathing not accurately enough, it's utterly refreshing to be enjoying it with a brilliant coach, and that it's ok to make mistakes.

Last edited: