Jumping a 5 yr old over 1.50?? Horsequest

i_should_be_working

Visit site
I read the comments yesterday. What I find strange is that this horse has come to them very green, under weight and lacking in muscle and it would never occur to me to try a horse over that height. I would have popped him over some jumps to see his attitude and shape/scope but did they keep putting the fence up to see how high it could go (chase me charlie style)? They have only had him 3 weeks so he won't have strengthened up much in that time. I know some readers said that he would be regularly jumping that type of fence if at a SJing yard - but then he would have been in training to build but the muscles before so not such a shock to his system. If looking for a horse - I would pay that sort of money for something 5/6 with a track record and scope to go on. I wouldn't expect them to be jumping tracks more than 100 - 110cm. Anyone can get a horse to jump big over 1 fence but would prefer a track record over something smaller.
Very concerned that his dentist say one age and passport another - are there dodgy passports out there?

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you BBS TBH
smirk.gif
For goodness sake jumping at this height twice isn't going to do any harm IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think its maybe a lot of fuss over not alot BUT like I said how do you know it was onlt twice?

It could be jumped 1.50 every day for all we know! Its only because they got some stick they said this and we all said oh well then thats ok then, but how do we know!

Anyway its there horse so its up to them, spose we are just stating our opinions really
smile.gif

BBs

Visit site
Holly, Im going from what the original poster was saying. I have no reason to doubt her.

LOL horses can even do piaffe and passage without a rider.... whether they are underdeveloped or not.

Its us as riders who cause the problems, horses do all those *advanced movements* all by themselves.
We dont train them to do it, they do it naturally
tongue.gif

jenbleep

Visit site
well I'm not as experienced as the rest of you here, but I still wouldn't pay £9000 for it!

It is interesting to hear of everyones differing opinions though - I am more siding with not jumping a 5 year old that height, but I am a hobby rider and don't do it for a living so........I did work at a SJ yard for a while and we never jumped young horses that height, more like 1m - 1.10, (???? I think!!!)

has a lovely jump though and if he doesn't break he could do really well with he right person

H-J

www.piczo.com
I totally agree they can, my 4 yr old Golly used to do all this in the field
tongue.gif

But there is a basic way of building a horse up to these movemnets undersaddle is there not, I mean we dont just say oh that was doing all that in the field today so I will try it all under saddle today and if they complied we would all have horses working at Grand Prix level whether they was 4 or 24
smirk.gif

I also agree we have no reason to doubt but we also have no reason to believe I spose

_Libby_

Visit site
I totally agree with BB
HollyJane the owner advised us yesterday on the other post that the horse has only jumped this height twice.

I think if any of you were to ANY showjumping yard they would not have a problem with this.

sherwood'

Visit site
That is rubbish- i Know lots of professioanl SJ's who wud defo not over jump for the sake of preserving a decent horse! Some would but then maybe they dont have the horse at the top of their priorities.

Nats_uk

Visit site
I think the point of this post is being missed
crazy.gif
:

[ QUOTE ]
Poor horse being made to jump 1.50 at home! Why would you do that when 5 yr olds only have to jump 1.20 in competition. This would put me off buying a horse like that

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think sherwood was asking what we thought of those people in particular (and correct me if I'm wrong
wink.gif
) - more about what do you think in general of 5 year olds jumping that kind of height at home!

And I still say generally I don't agree with young, growing, undermuscled horses jumping that kind of height - you don't need to do it to see its technique or scope, it doesn't do it any good and it won't be competing at that height anyway.

BBs

Visit site
There was an intersting discussion over supper last night with FinnMc, Partoow, The-Carthorse about show jumping and the methods lol
Real eye opener
frown.gif

jenbleep

Visit site
I love show jumping but I have to admit that some of the methods used make me wince - not all, but some.

I guess you get that everywhere though?

_Libby_

Visit site
"thats rubbish" - thanks for that lol

I think you missed my point- i was saying I dont think any SJ yard would have a problem with buying a horse that had been jumped over 1.50m twice, not that they do it all the time. Some do, some dont. IMO its pretty common, I've seen 4 yr old jumping 1.30 often , including two top stallions who have been jumping for numerous years since.

_Libby_

Visit site
I dont really see the point in it, but many people do it.
And the owner of the horse had said it was a one off so i dont see the big deal, it wouldnt put me off at all. I'd just think it was an honest little horse who now needed groundwork and muscle, and some miles on the clock.

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
There was an intersting discussion over supper last night with FinnMc, Partoow, The-Carthorse about show jumping and the methods lol
Real eye opener
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only on some yards though just like some dressage and event yards im sure

lastresort

Visit site
I posted yesterday about this. I bought a horse that at a 5 yo was similar to the one discussed. to cut a long story short he was ruined (not me previous owner) and we spent a year trying to get him back jumping decently. He HATED SJ full stop in the end but then became difficult. I had him checked and it was thought too much had been done too young and he was spoilt and had all sorts of muscle and back/neck problems. He was never 100% either. We gave up trying to make him something he wasnt ever going to be bit the bullet and sold him. I believe he has been sold twice since as everyone thinks they can sort out the issues but alot was in his head. Every potential purchaser I was totally honest with

My trainer said it was too much too young with putting good foundations in at the beginning I now have a rising 5 yo who has only just really started to SJ (taking my time) as he is ISH and they are so much slower to mature so I dont want to spoli him as I have seen how easily it can be done. he jumps 1m 1.05m spreads with ease and could do much more but theses no point who benefits I would rather he is 100% confident at this height as its so easy to loose it.
I can see that they want to show his potential for a sale though and Im sure they will have a lot of interest
laugh.gif

Nats_uk

Visit site
My friend has a horse exactly the same - scope to burn (which has been commented on by Lucinda Green and Lucy Thompson) but he has had his brain blown at a very young age and now is like a bullet at a fence and panics if you try to do anything at a slow and steady pace. I have seen it jump a 1.20 spread from over a stride out in sheer panic to get over the fence - it also headbutted the wall at Towerlands trying to evade the rider checking it back for a turn.
crazy.gif

My friend is doing really well with it but the progress will take a long time at a very slow pace and there is no guarantee he will ever settle down again - a v.talented horse potentially ruined by too much too young
frown.gif

Nickymac

Visit site
Blimey, this is a bit lively for a Friday morning.
tongue.gif

I read the original post and trusted that they had only done this for the photos and tbh, if you're going to get some interest an advert does need to be eyecatching. The horse looked confident doing it, and as a one-off, fine. Of course she was going to get stick, but if you post on a open forum that's the risk you take. This is HHO after all!
wink.gif

Interesting views about teaching changes, as showjumpers seem to have horses doing them at 4, and very easily. They probably wouldn't be marked that well in a dressage arena admittedly but they enable a young horse to jump a course of fences fluently. One of my boys could do that at 4 and a half and was offering to do them, so I gratefully accepted the offer; it didn't mean he couldn't do counter canter though. My big boy (who's 5 and 3/4!) can do them most of the time, but does not do them as readily as Hector did - I'm not pushing him to do them as they will come with time. I'd always thought counter canter came before changes, but then my showjumping needed the changes before the BE dressage needed counter canter, so I've changed my methods now.

_Libby_

Visit site
QR- I feel a bit sorry for the owner of this horse, alot of people view this forum and she may not wish to be assosciated with talk of horses being ruined just because she jumped the horse over this height twice.
No one's fault really but i think we should try to keep the discussion general

H-J

www.piczo.com
I agree but then thats what happens when you post or post piccies on an open forum im afraid
crazy.gif

Anyways its Friday and im going to go and get some cake
tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

lastresort

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree but then thats what happens when you post or post piccies on an open forum im afraid
crazy.gif

Anyways its Friday and im going to go and get some cake
tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a piece for me still on diet
frown.gif

I did say yesterday if you ask a question you always get an answer on here!! and usually not the one you want
tongue.gif

Nats_uk

Visit site
As I said in an early post - I agree this shouldn't be an attack on the people whose ad it is - I don't know them to comment on them. I was talking generally about young horses being jumped at that height. I mentioned my friend's horse as an example of why I don't agree with it but each to their own
wink.gif
smile.gif

Got to love the HHO forum - can always get a good debate going
grin.gif

P.S. HJ save some room for pizza tonight! (silly thing to say - you always have room!
wink.gif
)

Nickymac

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I did say yesterday if you ask a question you always get an answer on here!! and usually not the one you want
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd think people would have learnt not to post on here if they're seeking mass approval, wouldn't you?
tongue.gif

Paddywhack

Visit site
This horse is worth every penny,just look at those neat and careful front legs and how he opens up behind on the last pictures i think it was ...And to jump a single fence of 1.50 to see if the horse got potential is OK,its not like he jumps a whole course of fences !
9k is about right for a horse of his age with that jump,and if he improves his value will only go up

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This horse is worth every penny,just look at those neat and careful front legs and how he opens up behind on the last pictures i think it was ...And to jump a single fence of 1.50 to see if the horse got potential is OK,its not like he jumps a whole course of fences !
9k is about right for a horse of his age with that jump,and if he improves his value will only go up

[/ QUOTE ]

He really is only worth what someone is willing to pay. The market is pretty static atm, with no competition record, no parentage, no documentation confirming age (it could be 7).

lastresort

Visit site
I think everyone has an opinion and thats what forums are for.Maybe the original post was to be more of a " look at what my horse can do" rather than a price question??!!

But hey as so many people are interested it makes a good topic. I posted from experience (even though not a good one) and Agree with nat when saying it is what CAN happen.

HJ What sort of cake is it ?? Am fed up of eating apples,so I can pretend im eating cake!
grin.gif
: