Jumping in draw reins...... always thought this was a bad idea!

sassybebe

Visit site
I worked for a pro sjer and most of the horses were jumped in draw reins at some time including mine, when the fences got to about 1m the draw reins would come off for a course, grid work they'd stay on a bit higher but not really above 1.10/1.15. I wouldn't advise anyone to do it but i fully understood the reasons for doing it and how to use them properly. I used them on my grade A but i would never use them on my youngster, for jumping anyway

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Wow came home from horrible day at work at this was really nice to see all posts about it and that some people have seen the video too. I was shocked as horse can be very nappy into fences and not that genuine and this was the first time she had taken it over these bigger fences and it is a youngster. Well you answered my question. I have seem MH used but dont really know how to use one, used draw reins on a few horses before but dont really find them that great and would never ever jump in them

Visit site
I have also seen this video. I really don't see the point in using draw reins for jumping as the horse should be encouraged to stretch and use its back and neck over a fence and should not be restricted by draw reins.

kerilli

Visit site
i've only once ever seen someone jump a horse in draw reins. it was a former sj trainer of mine (very very experienced, had jumped Grade A etc) and his own horse that was Grade B, and eventing at the time. he came to a small upright with draw reins on, first jump of the session, and they both ended up on the floor...
that convinced me. dreadful idea.

fruity

Visit site
I know a few semi pro sj's that use them,they are v experienced riders with very soft hands but i still don't agree with it,would kill them if i ever saw them using them on any of my horses!