Jumping on the bandwagon...crank nosebands

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Now these things I really detest, and do not see boy purpose for. I've always thought that in order to properly relax and be able to flex at the poll, a horse needs a certain amount of mobility in the jaw...so why is it that the vast majority of dressage bridles come with these things as standard?...and why do those that use them have them done up so tightly?
frown.gif
mad.gif

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
People have the wrong idea about crank nosebands. I think this is partly due to an unfortunate name. They were not designed to be cranked up as tight as possible but to exert even pressure around the whole noseband area. When used correctly they should be no tighter than a conventional noseband but should be more comfortable for the horse without causing pinching or pressure points. Sadly some riders abuse their action to make up for poor riding and incorrect schooling.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
That's exactly what I mean about them...people use the crank to shut the horses mouth. I suppose I should have rephrased my original post by saying I dislike intensely the misuse of this particular type of noseband
smile.gif

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I agree SleepingDragon, I hate them too! In fairness most people don't do them overly tightly, but some do, prehaps sometimes without even realising how tight they are
frown.gif

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
People have the wrong idea about crank nosebands. I think this is partly due to an unfortunate name. They were not designed to be cranked up as tight as possible but to exert even pressure around the whole noseband area. When used correctly they should be no tighter than a conventional noseband but should be more comfortable for the horse without causing pinching or pressure points. Sadly some riders abuse their action to make up for poor riding and incorrect schooling.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^ this. both of my bridles have cranks, and I agree, mine are fitted like a standard cavesson which is softly padded.

You can also overtighten a normal cavesson noseband - if people are going to have a tight noseband, they will do so crank or no
frown.gif

lauraandjack

Visit site
I did hear the other day that the crank noseband was invented because you can't use a flash with a double bridle in dressage.

I laugh when I see "comfort bridles" that all come with crank nosebands. Don't look very comfortable to me!