Just a happy hacker??

palo1

Visit site
Sorry I clearly didn't make myself clear. I have no intention of telling her what to do, my question was more about how lessons inform your ability to hack safely. Also, I think hacking is a perfectly good discipline in it's own right, I have always hacked. I have absolutely no negative connotations with regard to the term "happy hacker" that was her description but some riders do worry me. They are doing first cut silaging ATM and we have huge tractors racing along the lanes but as others have said, it's none of my business!

Ah, I see!! Sorry if I misunderstood the original post. I agree that any riding should always involve engagement with horsemanship/skill and that hacking definitely needs riding and horsemanship skills. I think we probably all benefit from lessons but I guess you have to be interested in aspects of riding and horsemanship in every situation to feel that way.

palo1

Visit site
Sitting on a horse to view the countryside is very important to me, as a historian. Stately homes and their estates were designed to be seen from horseback height. It is the elevation. I used to ride near a stately home and a friend who worked for the V & A explained this to me. These days, I do have a spot where I halt to survey the Parkland.

I understand the pleasure in that but I am not sure that it is wildly different in some senses to riding a push-bike unless you are sort of actively engaged with the horsemanship/horse element of the experience. That is not to say it is at all wrong - just more about the countryside than the horse I guess!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I’m just a happy hacker as well, it’s why I have my horses. I don’t want lessons, I don’t want to compete, I don’t want any pressure whatsoever so I just hack. I do ensure I’m in control at all times but I like meandering along and there’s nothing wrong with that. So each to their own because one persons fun is another persons hell.

Ditto this.

I have my horse to hack - we do have biomechanic lessons, polework, take part in Trec and pleasure rides etc but if I never set foot inside a sand school again I couldn't care too much but I wouldn't ride if I couldn't hack.

Sometimes we amble along on the buckle probably looking good quite sloppy, sometimes we are hooney-ing around the countryside and sometimes we are concentrating very hard trying to make set pace and times over a set route.

But I couldn't give two hoots what someone thought of me doing any of the above and if someone tried to advise me on what they thought I should be doing or how, they'd get fairly short shrift ;)

Life's stressful enough and ponies are meant to be fun :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think even 'lessons' is misunderstood. I've had people ask why I'm having lessons - "I thought you could ride already"

I've had people tell me they don't need lessons because "there's nothing a stranger could tell me about my horse!"

I try and use a football or Olympic analogy. First team football players or gold medal winners all have regular coaching to help them get the best out of themselves (physically and mentally often).

You don't need to know how to play football to kick a ball around in a street - but you would be better if someone gave you some tips.

You don't need lessons to hack but most of us would probably benefit our hacking from some observations on balance, straightness, riding defensively in traffic, pre-empting issue etc. But 95% of people will have lovely enjoyable hacks for both horse and rider and never give it a second thought. No harm in that at all.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i am a lesson-evangelist but I think you can also teach your horse (unless they have already gone off the rails) to be a safe hack without spending any time in the arena. you just need to be that way inclined.

lots of happy hackers in this area, its a nice hacking environment. some have really nicely trained hacking horses and some look like they would be more enjoyable with a bit of education. each to their own so long as everyone is safe though.

I yearn for the slopping along on a loose rein days. I loved hacking then! i've had nearly 10 years of only riding useless hacks and almost forgotten how nice it can be.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Sorry I clearly didn't make myself clear. I have no intention of telling her what to do, my question was more about how lessons inform your ability to hack safely. Also, I think hacking is a perfectly good discipline in it's own right, I have always hacked. I have absolutely no negative connotations with regard to the term "happy hacker" that was her description but some riders do worry me. They are doing first cut silaging ATM and we have huge tractors racing along the lanes but as others have said, it's none of my business!

I'm still not 100% sure I see what the issue is?

Even with the tractors going past, it doesn't sound like the horse is doing anything to be a danger if he or she is still plodding along. Presumably the rider knows the horse well enough to make that judgement. I'd ride mine past a tractor on a loose-ish rein as I know he wouldn't bother.

They might not be a rider I'd want to school a horse but it is obviously working for them. I'd much rather see that than riders on short reins, hanging onto their horses, looking terrified and barking instructions to other people out enjoying the countryside and expecting the whole world to stop because they are out with their horse ?

Last edited:

Widgeon

Visit site
I think I see what you're getting at. The problem is (IMO) that hacking-safety isn't really something you can teach in a lesson - a lot of it is common sense, road awareness, and an ability not to panic in a potential crisis. If somebody doesn't have those things, and thinks they don't need them, then no amount of lessons is going to improve the situation!

We have plenty of people around here who are clearly very competent riders but still feel it's fine and appropriate to hack out three abreast, no hi viz, in the early morning or late evening. On a public, 60mph road. You can't fix stupid.

SEL

Visit site

I think some horses are angels and will carry whoever is on their back through anything! My friend's pony is one of them. She isn't in the slightest bit interested in having lessons and her physical problems mean that lessons would be a struggle. Slopping along on a horse is actually a huge achievement and neither of them have any aspirations to do anything different. I'm rather envious at times tbh. Her cob is so quiet and safe that she's 'boring' to a lot of people but if there were tractors on the road I'd be happier on that than any of mine. If she wanted to canter up a stubble field then they'd canter - but she'd also stop as soon as the rider wanted to or if she felt the rider wobble.

If you saw them together you'd think novicey set-up, bit wonky, rider in an awful chair position (her physical issues mean that's what works) slopping along on a long rein - and that's exactly what they do, but you can run a tractor up the pony's backside and it doesn't break stride!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I have my pony to hack. We understand each other. He's perfectly chilled with the tractors etc. You could compare it to riding a bike but you can't see over the hedges on a bike(though I have considered getting an electric one) and I'm not up to hiking long distances these days. So pony and I go out, watch the wildlife, checkout where the best foraging is and chill. I used to compete a lot, have lessons etc. but to be honest these days I just want to enjoy the countryside on my good mate and if he wants to go along with a mouthful of cow parsley and I ride with an ice cream in hand so be it ?. We are off for a week in the Lakes soon too and I trust him on the hills as much as on the roads.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

These riders scare the bejeezus out of me - hacking is the scariest thing I do (and I event at novice/2*). The situations where I've needed to sit the tightest and react the quickest have ALL happened out hacking. And the situations where the most harm could happen to the horse, or to a member of the general public, have ALL happened out hacking. There are no ambulances on hand, no vets on hand, no-one to catch a loose horse... I've a lot of respect for people who enjoy their hacking and have a good relationship with their horse. But when I see someone who is clearly not in balance or with a semblance of control out hacking, I do feel the fear for them. And I've no doubt they are blithely unaware of my fear - it's fine, until it isn't.

oldie48

Visit site
I have to admit to being a bit of a lesson evangelist too as it's having lessons that has really improved both my confidence and ability to read and control a situation. When I bought my first horse we mainly hacked, I had a very nasty situation in the first year when I met a motor cycle rally as I was waiting to cross a busy A road to get home, I froze and the horse bolted round a blind bend, so perhaps I am a little more conscious of how easily a situation can get out of control with lack of experience. fwiw, I didn't say too much about my neighbour because it was a general question but she is someone who came to riding late, has ridden at a RS and this is her first horse and to be brutally frank, is extremely novicey. I've offered her the use of my school and having seen her ride in it once, it worried me as our lanes are increasingly busy and frequently used as a rat run. I was quite taken aback by the tone of some of the replies. These days I have enough knowledge to recognise a horse that is having a good stretch but is still on the aids and one that is not under the control of it's rider.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, I think that you are getting an unecessarily hard time. I do not see that you are dissing relaxed hacking in any way.

There is a lot of difference between a novicey rider bumbling along on a loose rein with a weak seat and the horse off the aids, and a competent rider riding along on a loose rein but with a strong core and the abilty to pick up and put the horse back on the aids in an instant.

Sometimes you can see the accident waiting to happen - a slight spook at a pigeon crashing out of the hedge should not dislodge the rider.

I finished my lesson today on a lovely free forward walk on a loose rein, the sort that eats up miles, but hopefully I was still sitting with enough core strength left that I could have dealt with most dramatics if there had been any.

I'm Dun

Visit site
My current horse needs riding, the previous one would probably have hacked out without a rider he's that rock steady. Hes carted lots of non riders and some terrible riders out hacking and so long as they sit still and in balance he loves it. I would have no qualms about anyone at all taking him out. What does it matter if he's slopping along? He likes to look in house windows and down drives as he is the nosiest creature! Some horses really are that reliable and trustworthy

palo1

Visit site
I have to admit to being a bit of a lesson evangelist too as it's having lessons that has really improved both my confidence and ability to read and control a situation. When I bought my first horse we mainly hacked, I had a very nasty situation in the first year when I met a motor cycle rally as I was waiting to cross a busy A road to get home, I froze and the horse bolted round a blind bend, so perhaps I am a little more conscious of how easily a situation can get out of control with lack of experience. fwiw, I didn't say too much about my neighbour because it was a general question but she is someone who came to riding late, has ridden at a RS and this is her first horse and to be brutally frank, is extremely novicey. I've offered her the use of my school and having seen her ride in it once, it worried me as our lanes are increasingly busy and frequently used as a rat run. I was quite taken aback by the tone of some of the replies. These days I have enough knowledge to recognise a horse that is having a good stretch but is still on the aids and one that is not under the control of it's rider.

I get this! To be a safe and responsible hack both horse and rider DO need a bit of education and on-going work and a range of skills as well as awareness and confidence. Those things can certainly be developed in lessons. I tend to do the vast majority of my schooling when we are hacking as I don't have an arena and lessons/training certainly make a difference to the quality of riding you have whether hacking or schooling in an arena. Establishing a secure seat, correct leg aids, sympathetic hands, general refinement in lots of ways including the contact as well as the decision making confidence of when to pootle on the buckle or not are definitely lesson worthy! The horse that plants, reverses, spins or naps will need a variety of skills to manage though arguably that is not a good or safe hack lol!!

I think there is a cultural thing about 'happy hacking' though - it's not really taken seriously by lots of people and yes, hacking is potentially really high risk so that is a bit odd. I guess there is both snobbery and inverse snobbery about it. For me, those that think they don't have anything to gain from lessons, whatever they are doing with their horses, are missing out. Lessons are lovely!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Unless your neighbour's horse leaps about getting in the way of huge tractors racing along the lanes, there is no reason why your neighbour should ride any differently. I have had several horse that wouldn't have turned a hair in that situation- very relaxing to ride. I will say though, that doesn't mean that the rider should be switched off and unaware of what is going on around them.
And tbh, if the horse doesn't worry, I'm not sure why you feel that the rider needs lessons.

oldie48

Visit site
Unless your neighbour's horse leaps about getting in the way of huge tractors racing along the lanes, there is no reason why your neighbour should ride any differently. I have had several horse that wouldn't have turned a hair in that situation- very relaxing to ride. I will say though, that doesn't mean that the rider should be switched off and unaware of what is going on around them.
And tbh, if the horse doesn't worry, I'm not sure why you feel that the rider needs lessons.
The highway code "none of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety." I think this means we should have control over our horses, it is not up to the horse to keep us safe on the roads. So although someone might have a pretty bomb proof horse, it doesn't mean that it's OK to be a passenger because, as we say so many times, horses are unpredictable. Sorry to repeat this but my initial question was "I think hacking is potentially one of the most dangerous activities we do as riders but I held my tongue. What do others think?" However, not wishing to dodge the question, the lady in question is extremely inexperienced, does not ride with a safe secure seat and does not have control over her horse. If she were to ask me if she would benefit from having some lessons, I would say that I think she would, but she hasn't asked me and she's told me she feels she doesn't need them, so I haven't said anything to her apart from offering the free use of my school (at her own risk).

Domirati

Visit site
I’m just a happy hacker as well, it’s why I have my horses. I don’t want lessons, I don’t want to compete, I don’t want any pressure whatsoever so I just hack. I do ensure I’m in control at all times but I like meandering along and there’s nothing wrong with that. So each to their own because one persons fun is another persons hell.
Well said!!

HashRouge

Visit site
The highway code "none of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety." I think this means we should have control over our horses, it is not up to the horse to keep us safe on the roads. So although someone might have a pretty bomb proof horse, it doesn't mean that it's OK to be a passenger because, as we say so many times, horses are unpredictable. Sorry to repeat this but my initial question was "I think hacking is potentially one of the most dangerous activities we do as riders but I held my tongue. What do others think?" However, not wishing to dodge the question, the lady in question is extremely inexperienced, does not ride with a safe secure seat and does not have control over her horse. If she were to ask me if she would benefit from having some lessons, I would say that I think she would, but she hasn't asked me and she's told me she feels she doesn't need them, so I haven't said anything to her apart from offering the free use of my school (at her own risk).

I'm a bit confused about your description of the lady in question. In your OP, nothing you said made it seem as though she was out of control? It sounded like she was just bumbling along having a lovely time on a very chilled horse. I ride my share horse on the buckle all the time, but I'm perfectly in control and know when I need to pick the reins back up and take a more active role. Also, just because I'm riding on a loose rein and not in a contact doesn't mean that I'm not paying attention to him/ guiding him. I haven't had a lesson in six years and have no intention of bothering with them again for the foreseeable future. This lady may not ride the way you think she does, but does that actually equate to her not being safe on the road, or not having for her own safety and that of others? What exactly is is that makes you say she does not have control of her horse, out of interest?

fiwen30

Visit site
I've got a friend who does that. Pony came from the travellers and was driven - seen everything and anything

Pony is now treated like royalty and in return pootles around the roads without blinking as cars go past too fast, dogs bark at it and pheasants jump out of hedges. The owner has mobility issues and would struggle with lessons.

They are happy (& I'm often jealous!)

That sounds like absolute bliss!

HorseMaid

Visit site
I'm a happy hacker but mare doesn't ever bimble and if I didn't keep my wits about me we would hack at either a very fast trot or faster, I wouldn't class it as a low risk activity! All of my worst falls have been while out hacking. So I think it depends on the horse, some you can plod about on the buckle, others you still need some skills!

nagblagger

Visit site
I'm a hacker, if she's in a good relaxed mood i'm a happy hacker!
I try to ride relaxed and on the buckle at times, but have an awareness of surroundings and the 'feel' if something is not quite right, this comes from experience (old age!) and i have my sh#t strap at the ready for these moments.
i do not have or want lessons, would rather save my money for vets, farrier etc., i do admire people that want to keep improving, i would probably just get sorer!

However the difference in the situation described, from what i can gather, the lady is a novice rider so hasn't had the life experiences of horse riding or ownership to have the awareness things can and do go wrong quickly, or the balance to stay onboard.
I hope in never happens to her and she can just continue in her naive, happy world.

Edit - have been riding for 50 years, lessons for first 15, now style not perfect but stick-ability still there (tempting fate now)

Last edited:

Wishfilly

Visit site
Hacking isn't a low risk activity at all- especially on your own.

If you know a good instructor who's helped people with their hacking as well, then why not mention them, in a "so and so really helped my friend with x y z- if you ever fancied a lesson with them, you'd be welcome to use my school"? If she's new to owning her own, she might not be having lessons because she doesn't know any instructors to try?

I do think we have a duty to be as safe as possible on the roads and on public land (and other members of the public have a duty to keep us safe). But equally, hours spent in the saddle are also good for developing one's seat, and lots of riding in the arena doesn't always translate brilliantly to hacking out.

lme

Visit site
Interesting topic. I think it depends on the combination of horse and rider.

I’ve spent years training on a mixture of my own horses and horses owned by trainers I’ve ridden with but these days I rarely ride in the school (I am too creaky to school effectively) or take much of a contact unless I am going faster than a walk.

For me the point of hacking is to spend relaxing time with my young horse, let her see new things, get confident in new situations and slowly get stronger. She is pretty level headed and I don’t want to micromanage her when it isn’t needed.

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
I think some people are being bit mean to op. Hacking is very dangerous especially when you see idiots in cars that wouldn’t slow down . I also think you have to be a decent rider to go out on road especially since anything can happen. I think some novices use hacking when they struggling with riding but won’t get lessons or can’t afford it.

oldie48

Visit site
Yeah, I think there are some people being a bit mean, but I'm in my 70's and tbh it's water off a duck's back! I think there's a difference between micro-managing a horse and being able to take control when required. We've had a couple of threads recently about hacking, I think it's a topic which can get ignored but I think I am correct in saying that more riders and horses get injured when out hacking than when competing. Surely anything that can help a rider keep themselves and their horse safe is worth thinking about? This is not about apportioning blame nor am I suggesting that everyone should have lessons but if it makes just one person think about how they hack on the road and how much control they really have of their horse then it may help to keep someone safe and I do see some bloody awful riding on the roads I have no problem in admitting that I have made mistakes out hacking and being a more accomplished rider (I think) gives me more confidence and more control when things get tricky. It doesn't mean I won't have an accident though, shit happens!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I agree that hacking is one of the potentially most dangerous equestrian disciplines. *However* it depends on the horse. I know a rider like your neighbour, she is a novice with much less than good balance but the horse doesn't seem to care and is not spooky. She rides along oblivious to the traffic and expects drivers to think for her but I'm not certain that lessons in your school, or anyone else's would improve any of her worst faults, which aren't about her seat etc but about her awareness of what is going on around her. She does drive a car, so she should be more aware.

Last edited:

ponynutz

Visit site
Agree people being a bit harsh on OP.

That being said hacking is a great way to improve ur riding and awareness on the road.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I agree that hacking is one of the potentially most dangerous equestrian disciplines. *However* it depends on the horse. I know a rider like your neighbour, she is a novice with much less than good balance but the horse doesn't seem to care and is not spooky. She rides along oblivious to the traffic and expects drivers to think for her but I'm not certain that lessons in your school, or anyone else's would improve any of her worst faults, which aren't about her seat etc but about her awareness of what is going on around her. She does drive a car, so she should be more aware.

Lots of people who drive cars aren't aware, though :p