Just a livery moan... Done to death probably

holeymoley

Visit site
I’m a bit of a grump just now as horse is on box rest getting better in one way and kind of worse in another way(see other posts) and noticing things that annoy me at the yard more than they have before 😂 just really a post for a moan and I feel like listing them off. Feel free to add.

-general untidyness. Hay areas that aren’t swept leaving trails. Emptying chaff/hay in buckets and clogging up the drain/not sweeping it
- ill fitting manky tack. Synthetic saddles that have been used on various different horses and completely the wrong fit, falling to bits and not cleaned one year to another. I’ll add in that I’mnot bothered by synthetic tack.
- manky saddlecloths/numnahs. As above
- barefoot horses that are kept barefoot so that they don’t need to be seen by a farrier/trimmer for months on end
-tack room left lying wide open to all and sundry with no one at the yard
- one livery hollering to the other side of the yard to talk to someone. Please I just want some quiet time with my horse
- genuine manky horses, would it harm you to run a brush over it before tacking up?
- people that don’t pay up. Notorious for paying anything on time and was discovered when I purchased some feed with items for person who didn’t cough up without hounding them weeks later
-bandwaggoners. Folk that jump on the bandwagon when anything’s being booked, dentist, lessons etc then pull out at the last minute
- half a*sed services. Girl offered to do turnout and full livery for some liveries and doesn’t rock up until 10/11am whenever she gets out of bed and leaves beds full of sh*t
-using other folks tools. As above
- feeding my horse carrots/treats. Drives me nuts ‘because he’s cute’ yes he also is a laminitis with insulin resistance so clear off.

I’ll stop now. It’s not actually that bad honest. And I’m not that bad 😂
I was just brought up around horses ‘old school’. A lot of the livery’s at the yard are teenagers so maybe it’s just a sign of the times. Need to get a sign up on the door for the last one though.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Have just moved to a super efficient yard run by someone who really cares about basic standards and it's a HUGE relief. It's not cheap though, I'm paying double what I was at the last place but all the YO-related stuff that was bothering me is completely resolved. Decent reliable staff, tidy and well maintained facilities, everything done as promised, it's wonderful!

tbh it's none of my business what other people do with their horses so I doubt I'd notice if someone else brushed their horse or not, definitely better for your own sanity if you let that wash over you. but I really value a well run yard :)

holeymoley

Visit site
Have just moved to a super efficient yard run by someone who really cares about basic standards and it's a HUGE relief. It's not cheap though, I'm paying double what I was at the last place but all the YO-related stuff that was bothering me is completely resolved. Decent reliable staff, tidy and well maintained facilities, everything done as promised, it's wonderful!

tbh it's none of my business what other people do with their horses so I doubt I'd notice if someone else brushed their horse or not, definitely better for your own sanity if you let that wash over you. but I really value a well run yard :)

Totally. I don’t normally but just the last few days I’ve noticed it all. I think the brushed horse one was from yesterday when said horse had came in from having a roll in a rather muddy wet puddle and tack was slung on... 😱 think of the tack cleaning afterwards hahaha

Fiona

Visit site
I could put up with the untidiness (as long as I wasn't being blamed for the mess lol), but the rest would irritate me beyond belief......

Definitely make a big laminated notice for your horses door OP x x

As an aside - milliepops, I'm so glad your new yard is working out well, long may it continue (as long as it doesn't bankrupt you paying for it all x x

FIona

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
aww thanks Fiona :) yep is a bit of a juggle at the mo esp as January is a long month, last pay day was before xmas! but so far so good :)

Nari

Visit site
A big sign on your horse's door, and a word with people too explaining why he can't have treats - I have one with this problem and I do find people react much better if you explain why in a friendly way rather than just saying don't.

As for the rest I'm afraid you just have to turn a blind eye unless it's your yard. I can see how it's irritating, but it isn't hurting anyone - just make a note of who you don't buy things for unless they give you cash up front & don't tell the bandwaggoners when you're arranging a vet visit etc.

Sprat

Visit site
One that's got on my nerves this weekend is useless yard staff - paid for stable to be mucked out on Sunday morning, went up last night and a complete half-arsed job had been done. It had barely been skipped out, it was more like the poo had been dragged through the bed to break up into smaller bits and then some banks pulled down on top.

People not clearing up their horses droppings in the arena gets my goat as well!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Everything you listed OP had my toes curling with irritation and horror! But also probably why I would never inflict myself on a livery yard either- I am far too intolerant to mix with other horse owners I have not personally vetted, given the third degree and reluctantly and begrudgingly allowed to share my horse owning space with. :oops:

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Most of those you mentioned would drive me nuts (and I've had the feeding my horse carrots/treats one and it did!).

- barefoot horses that are kept barefoot so that they don’t need to be seen by a farrier/trimmer for months on end

This one though, unless the horse is unsound then I can't see why it matters or should bother you. A working barefoot horse is often self-trimming and many healthy horses hooves can be maintained easily and safely by their owner. It is down to opinion whether that is better for the horse than shoeing.

Just because the owner is doing it to save money (and unless the owner has told you that, its a big assumption) doesn't automatically mean it is worse for the horse. Just like spending more time / money isn't always automatically better for a horse. I do object to people who think just because they do A and it costs twice as much as B it automatically means they care for their horse better than those that do B - when it comes to day-to-day care there isn't any direct corrolation between the amount of money spent and horse health or happiness (not directed at OP, just generally having my own moan!).

Also, if the owner is genuinely lazy / cheap I'd rather they kept the horse unshod than had it shod with massive shoeing intervals, at least an unshod hoof can break off the excess wall.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Crikey, my lot are perennially manky and largely self-trimming... My tack is also quite manky (but made to fit ponies and very nice really!) :p I generally think there are bigger things to get worked up about than whether a horse gets groomed or not.

The last one though - that's not on, and entirely your business. You'd be well entitled to have strong words!

SEL

Visit site
Crikey, my lot are perennially manky and largely self-trimming... My tack is also quite manky (but made to fit ponies and very nice really!) :p I generally think there are bigger things to get worked up about than whether a horse gets groomed or not.

The last one though - that's not on, and entirely your business. You'd be well entitled to have strong words!

Mine are bog monsters and I'm not massively tidy so would prob drive you had OP. I do appreciate really good staff tho. We had a great yard manager at my.old yard who took pride in doing everything to a high standard.

Right now my.moan is vets who are over an hour late. I'm assuming an emergency but the message at 45 mins late on my phone just said "a little late". Different views on timekeeping!!

holeymoley

Visit site
I thought I’d get shot to pieces for this thread! Thankfully not, yet anyway. They don’t bother me in the sense I get wound up/upset about it, just a general musing.

I agree about the barefoot thing, probably better for them in the long run not to be shod. They are pretty high on their heels though.

Need think about the wording of the sign...

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Irrated by the people at the yard who are most likely to fall off making the most ridiculous safety decisions. Eg. Horse hasn't been rode for weeks, naps and spooks normally despite rider being off all day hacks out in the dark with a string of fairy lights wrapped around them.....
Horse scared of jumps, jumped by rider who is also scared, shouting and swearing loudly, upsetting horse further wearing a hat that they got cheap as doesn't meet standards and no body protector.
It's like waiting for an accident to happen

JFTDWS

Visit site
I couldn't care less about other people taking risks with their own lives - if they're adults, it's very much their choice.

I do object to parents who subject their children to serious, unnecessary risks though - that's really not ok. I mean throwing tiny kids onto loose, unbroken ponies without hats / sending them out into fields of horses with buckets of feed etc - not normal, inherent risks of horses.

Auslander

Visit site
Shudders!
My part liveries do their own horses at weekends. Most of them do a good job, but there are a few who wreck my lovlely clean beds, leave the muckheap in a mess, and don't sweep. It drives me absolutely wild. Saturday and Sunday am's are prime time for me to go up there, have a tantrum and then stomp back to the house to sulk!
I often muck their beds out again when I go up to do afternoon stables!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Shudders!
My part liveries do their own horses at weekends. Most of them do a good job, but there are a few who wreck my lovlely clean beds, leave the muckheap in a mess, and don't sweep. It drives me absolutely wild. Saturday and Sunday am's are prime time for me to go up there, have a tantrum and then stomp back to the house to sulk!
I often muck their beds out again when I go up to do afternoon stables!

Half shave your horse's legs in an eccentric fashion :p

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sounds like 'tis time you looked for another yard OP!!

Personally, if just one or two things annoyed me, I'd probably tough it out - if I liked other aspects of the yard such as the hacking, or had friends there.

But this sounds like you've had the chance (now your horse is out of action for a bit) to have a good look around and reflect upon the general situation.

Make a (albeit belated) New Year's resolution: M O V E !!!

Now is an excellent opportunity to have a look around and find something you're really happy with!

Why stay?

meleeka

Visit site
This is why I’m not on livery! I’m not a very tolerant person at the best of times, so all the fencing, poo picking etc is worth it for not having to deal with people who are thoughtless.

One thing I can relate to is people that don’t pay up on time. I have a ‘friend’ that only contacts me when she wants something, usually for me to order her hay when I order mine. She’s very good at promising to bring the money but knows I won’t send it back as I ordered it. The last time she promised to bring it that day and I waited a week! It was only £30 and I’d say if she hadn’t budgeted for that she probably shouldn’t have horses. It seems a silly thing to fall out over but I can see it happening next time she asks.

holeymoley

Visit site
Sounds like 'tis time you looked for another yard OP!!

Personally, if just one or two things annoyed me, I'd probably tough it out - if I liked other aspects of the yard such as the hacking, or had friends there.

But this sounds like you've had the chance (now your horse is out of action for a bit) to have a good look around and reflect upon the general situation.

Make a (albeit belated) New Year's resolution: M O V E !!!

Now is an excellent opportunity to have a look around and find something you're really happy with!

Why stay?

May be in the pipeline once he gets the go ahead for any turnout as fields are rotated every 6 weeks and fertilised ex dairy.... not what we need. Shame as the hacking is out of this world. I suppose I could box up to hack.

holeymoley

Visit site
This is why I’m not on livery! I’m not a very tolerant person at the best of times, so all the fencing, poo picking etc is worth it for not having to deal with people who are thoughtless.

One thing I can relate to is people that don’t pay up on time. I have a ‘friend’ that only contacts me when she wants something, usually for me to order her hay when I order mine. She’s very good at promising to bring the money but knows I won’t send it back as I ordered it. The last time she promised to bring it that day and I waited a week! It was only £30 and I’d say if she hadn’t budgeted for that she probably shouldn’t have horses. It seems a silly thing to fall out over but I can see it happening next time she asks.

I should have known as it’s quite openly discussed that certain people are months behind on hay and livery. How they do it I’ll never know, I hate owning money. They’re the same brigade as the barefoot comment with the long hooves.

windand rain

Visit site
An ex livery owner told me he hated the fact people didnt pay on time then informed me one livery owed him £6000 my question was why let it get that far he just shrugged his shoulders. I musy admit I like being on my own We rent a field on a road that has several other livery places on it so if you fancy a chat with ike minded you can but mostly I prefer being on my own