just about had enough of naughty horse!

noblesteed

Visit site
Hi all
I posted a few months ago about whether or not to try to sell my rude horse. He is bargy, rude, impatient etc. He deliberately tries to stand on toes. He throws himself around like a loon if his stablemate goes out of sight for a second. He is a bully in the field and causes havoc everywhere he goes. BUT he is brilliant to ride, loves travelling, does a nice dressage test and I've started jumping him again after I fell and broke my arm (silly fall, not his fault). He does all riding club activities plus he is now hacking out alone without too much trouble and is 110% in traffic.
HOWEVER he does have a buck on him, he threw me off several times when i first got him. He hasn't bucked now for 18 months UNTIL hacking out in company this past month, he has had a bucking fit on 2 occasions on the main road. I'm talking cars going at 60mph, buses, tractors, motorbikes. Thankfully he didn't unseat me but yesterday I thought I was a goner. It was all because he wanted to canter and I wouldn't let him!

I am feeling as if he is not worth the hassle I have had lately. I am 31 and I don't want another spell in hospital/physio etc. I have a lot of responsibility with my job and my horse is meant to be an enjoyable break from the stress of work. But lately he is just adding to my stress Plus I think he would be better off with a teenager who will have fun with him :( I am awake at this silly hour because I cannot sleep for worrying about him...

Anyone got any suggestions?

sarahmb

Visit site
I think I would get rid of him. To be it would only be worth tolerating his bad behaviour on the ground if ridden he is perfection itself, and I'm not sure I would want to even then. If he's minded to throw you under a bus I can see why you're losing sleep. It is supposed to be fun.

Shay

Visit site
Its a sad fact but as we grow older we bounce less and break more. (I am a bit older than you!). There does come a time when risky horses are too much risk; especially if you also have a family to think about, or work that you can't afford to take too much time off. This is supposed to be fun - not keeping you awake at nights.

I think you really need to think seriously about selling him. But you will have to be honest with any prospective purchasers about his behaviour - espeically if you think he'd do best for an older child.

noblesteed

Visit site
Thanks people.
It's not like I haven't tried with him. I had him at a livery yard where there were experienced people and a good instructor to help. But he was stressed out there and couldn't cope with the busy yard, so he was spooky and nappy. He had no turnout so was a nightmare through the winter. And everybody just tutted at us! My instructor told me to get rid.
So last autumn I moved him to a friend's place with her one gelding. He has settled down loads, stopped the spooks and naps, and lost weight with winter turnout. My friend and I joined a riding club together. But he bullies her gelding, and is so bolshy on the ground. He pulled down half a stone barn which hasn't made him popular. My friend suggests getting a natural horseperson to come out and work with him, but they're so expensive and I don't know what good they would do in the long run.
I'm so gutted he's started playing up again. We were really enjoying going to riding club stuff. But I can't cope with another injury!
Poor fella is 11 and has had 4 owners including me. I really wanted to give him a chance.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Sell him, and buy something you really want and enjoy! It’s a hobby at the end of the day, if you aren’t enjoying it, you need to do something! There are lots of nice horses out there that won’t give you this trouble. Sorry if it sounds harsh, and I know others will say battle on, but life is too short!

Bens_Mum

Visit site
I agree sell. Ive just been through the same and for my perserverance got bucked out of an arena and over a huge fence and badly hurt for the second time this year. I was refusing to give up to the tune of a fortune in schooling, lessons, physio investigations and vets who could all find nothing wrong. The horse just wasn't suitable (harsh as it may sound) end of. Just wish i'd done what my instructor said prior to having confidence decimated and a few thousand down! Someone else may enjoy the 'quirks' but its supposed to be fun and doesn't sound like your having much atm..

potty_4_piebalds

Visit site
have you thought about re schooling or maybe have the vet to see if there is a underlying problem ie neurological (sp) or back?? etc. friend of mine had the same problem turned out the horse had neurological issues and was prescribed magnesium and was told not to ride so the mare has been turned out to grass ever since.

Why sell on a problem horse without knowing what the problem is??

Do you not feel that this is irresponsible??

If you cant handle it on the ground how do you expect a teenager to??

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'm not sure why you feel you need to "tolerate" it? Have you tried improving his manners? With regard to the bucking - have you had the usual things checked? I had a horse who was extremely bargy when I first got him as a 3yo (dangerously so) however with a LOT of work he improved hugely. He still had the odd 'moment' but I was perfectly happy with him. You do have to put in the work though, but then you should do this with any horse.

LauraElise

Visit site
Horses are expensive and time consuming and are meant to be fun. Sell him, as long as you are open and honest with any prospective purchasers your conscience can be clear.

RuthnMeg

Visit site
If he doesn't make you smile and want to 'do' him, and if he is making your life a bit more stress - filled, then it would be wise to sell him. Someone out there would like a good RC type horse who also has the ability to enjoy his moments!
You must however be honest with his sale and perhaps not get the money you think he is worth.
There is also a horse out there that has your name written all over it! Good luck, don't feel bad.
There is always a positive to a negative - you just have to find it!

Daisy2

Visit site
If you really want one last shot I would take a look at some of Clinton Andersons youtube vids - Ebay sell his DVDs gaining respect and control on the ground and I totally recommend them, absolutely amazing!
However if you dont mean business then it would be a waste of time and money.. oh and it does not compare in the slightest to parelli and such like however the principles are the same--and he's not bad looking either.
Plus its fun and he takes you straight to where you want to go without any fluff.
Sometimes my mare can be abit objective now and then. I give her a ground work refresher lesson.. works like magic..
Be prepared to spend weeks working on the ground and dont be impatient to get back in the saddle, cut out all hard feed and mollases and loads of turnout
Good luck let us know what you decide.

noblesteed

Visit site
It's very difficult, because he's not what you would class as a 'problem horse' by any means. If he was, I would have parted company with him ages ago. He's just 'quirky' I suppose. He has so many good points it's hard to weigh up good against bad.
The bucking is not a medical condition, I had that all checked out and his back redone in September. They're not huge 'get off my back now you're hurting me' bucks, they're more like little 'wheeee I feel great so I'm going to be naughty'. So he's not what I would class as terribly dangerous. It's just the way that his little issues - mainly down to his cheekiness - accumulate and start to bother me. Plus the fact that falling off hurts and injuries are very inconvenient when you get a bit older!
I'm sure he must have read my thoughts today, because I rode him alone down to the beach in the rain, and he was amazing and behaved like a lamb. He was so chilled I could have sat my Mum on him.
Of course I would be honest with prospective buyers. His last owners were honest with me about his quirks, but for the price I paid for him I accepted them. I just didn't realise that his behaviour would bother me so much! 10 years ago it wouldn't have.

Daisy2

Visit site
There is nothing worse than trying to find the answer you want to hear to make all the things running around in your mind go away, most peopel with horses have been there with one problem or another hence this fine forum- the main thing is you need to reestablish control, trust and leadership - they test us everyday.
If you don't want to put in the effort and sell anyway that is equally a wise decision and one which is your choice and to be repsected. But results after work and effort is such a good feeling:D

animal

Visit site
Nothing to really add, but good luck. I presume you wear a bp, but if not you might want to consider it, will save a few bruises in the meantime!

alfirules

Visit site
I agree with what's been said, if your not enjoying him, sell him!

But on another note, if you wanted to get to the bottom of his bucking before you sell i would definately get a second opinion from a vet.
I have had a nightmare with my horse, he too would buck me off very randomly, he was quiet to ride most of the time. time and time again i would have back people out, they never came accross anything, he had 2 vets say he had wobblers syndrome, then when i told vets i still thought there was something wrong, they decided to x-ray his back and it turns out he has very bad kissing spines!!! no wonder the poor thing was bucking me off.

anyway, my message is to not rule out an underlying problem, just because you have been told everything is fine!

irishdraft

Visit site
I battled with a naughty horse for 3 1/2 years in the end decided it wasnt worth it and sold, but told the purchaser about his quirks, she was happy and came back to me several months later, he was still being a so and so but she thought he was a challenge !! and loved him, so you never know who's out there who may suit your horse.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Why pass on your troubles to other people have him shot

Isn't that a bit extreme and unnecessary? To say the least! She has clearly said that he isn't dangerous but that, like many horses, he has quirks and that these are getting her down at the moment. There is no reason to have him shot at all!

noblesteed

Visit site
Ha ha john robert, my dear OH has said something similar, just before he got a dig in the ribs! He did say it in jest I add.
Shooting is certainly out of the question. It's not the horse's fault he's a daft arse, he's a product of the person who bred him and all the people who have owned him, including me. If he was too dangerous I would retire him to a nice field, maybe with an older mare who wouldn't take any **** from him!

apes_mum

Visit site
I would agree with what majority here have said.
I would also sell him. As long as you are sure any physical / tack reasons have been ruled out and you are completely honest with potential purchasers.
Talented horses are often sharp and 'quirky' and I can appreciate that at 31 you don't want a horse who you can't trust not to put you under a bus!
But for a confident teenager who wants to compete, he could be ideal.
As you say, it's got to be enjoyable. You don't sound as if you have given up on him easily, and as responsible owners, sometimes hard decisions have to be made.
Good luck

midoak matrix

Visit site
i would send him away to get some schooling with his groundwork but i wouldnt sell him.
if you can honestly say he makes me miserable and i wouldnt shed a tear when he goes then sell him if not have faith in him and try the schooling he may be perfect for someone else but hiding under his cheeky im the boss attitude he may also be perfect for u

Doncella

Visit site
i would send him away to get some schooling with his groundwork but i wouldnt sell him.
if you can honestly say he makes me miserable and i wouldnt shed a tear when he goes then sell him if not have faith in him and try the schooling he may be perfect for someone else but hiding under his cheeky im the boss attitude he may also be perfect for u

This is exactly what I have done with mine. I didn't have time to school him, no facilities until I move yards when the new stables have been concreted so for the last 5 weeks he has been the boot camp horse. Reports tell me that his school work flat and jumping are great but still a bit knobby out hacking, that's no big deal.
He was an @rse because I did not have the school when I move the school is there for the use of and I will be motivated to get out there every day which is what Mr Tw@t really needs.
Give it a go, if not then have some one school him and sell him for you.

Good Luck.

Luci07

Visit site
He is supposed to be fun and you dont owe him anything. You have checked him out and there are no problems with him - neither does he have any REAL issues - he is just not for you. I hardly think he is a put down case - just more suitable for someone who will think his outbursts are fun! I am older than you, I agree we no longer bounce and have a horse I can trust and enjoy. Granted mine has the occasionial test with me but nothing that actually worries me.

maisiemoo

Visit site
Hhmm sounds so familiar , i keep being advised by people at my yard to sell on my 7 year old mare , she was bolshy and had no manners so i got in a natural horsemanship lady, got to get things sorted on the ground before i get on top !. with the help of the dually halter my 10 year old daughter can lead her now, i won't sell my mare as it would break my daughters heart , My mare has always had a habit of yanking the reins and it has got to the point now that there is obviuosly a problem somewhere . got the vet coming tomorrow and back lady organised in April. if anyone else has any idea's on what could be the problem i'll describe her symptons.
She is fine on the lunge , has had saddle fitted by master saddler , teeth have been checked , had vet out in dec he could'nt find anything , problems only start after been ridden for approx 30 mins. withers twitching , throwing her head down and low whilst shaking it, drops hind quarters at intervals .feels knotted up , especially when asked to trott, had to get off today as she felt like she was going to explode. friends who were behind her said her back was twitching , hopefully it will be something we can sort as she is really sweet when she's not trying to be the boss!

proctorclaire

Visit site
Sounds like you need to be teaching him some new manners but it could be because he wants attention! Do you get to spend alot of time with him after work etc? I would spend alot of time with him (i.e not necessarily riding but grooming and lunging) and get the manners sorted out.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Sisters horse had her back checked in August, by half way through september started having problems, saddle changed etc. Vet came out again about a month ago, after the mare had unshipped sister on the road twice in a month. He found a sore spot and she is having accupuncture and in hand walking for the next month or so, so even though his back was checked at the end of last year, worth having it looked at again, as this behaviour has not been continuous. I would also make sure he learns some manners on the ground, rude horses are too dangerous to allow that behaviour to continue.

Dolcé

Visit site
Would highly recommend an IH recommended associate. It would cost you around £25-35 per hour but may only need 1 or 2 sessions to help you sort the ground work out completely. The bucking could possibly be a problem so would be worth checking out again. He sounds like with manners on the ground he would be a perfect horse and that he has just got you down. I suppose it is whether or not you want to invest in him, if not then you have your answer. Good luck whatever you decide!

Benji1

Visit site
I hate to say it but I'd sell him, horse riding/owning is supposed to be something you enjoy and it doesn't sound like your getting much pleasure out of having him.

I had a similar situation my self with my old stallion, and in the end had to part with him as I was fed up with being constantly stressed out.