Just been bolted with acoss the Mendips - no joke - Help!

Helenx

Visit site
Hi Everyone

I'd really appreciate a bit of sound advice, before giving in and selling my Monster (who'd have him?!)

He's rising 7, 13.3hh with a neck like a bull dog and a highly excitable nature.

I'm an 8st lightweight and have ridden all my life but not competitively. My monster is an angel in the school. Snaffle mouth (with a flash noseband, he's not that good!). But REALLY strong, if he wants to be, out hacking.

On hacks I ride in a mullen mouth Pelham which 85% of the time is sufficient. If he's behaving I'll ride on a long rein, only picking up the curb if he gets strong. I hate riding in a curb, but he just isn't safe to ride without decent brakes.

If he spooks he'll do a 180 and head for home. Normally I manage to stop a few paces down the track/road. Today? No chance. Well not until after a long tank and tripping on the rabbit holes he'd galloped into. We were up on the Mendips with his friend. He's normally good as gold up there (it's usually flapping plastic/motorbikes that set him off). But a group of school kids came along laughing and shouting, and we were OFF. No warning, 180, and head for home, flat out gallop. I managed to pull him up by a group of wild ponies, but then trying to get him away just involved another attempt to tank followed by riding in circles until he'd stop again. I was petrified. He then jogged all the way home, eventually trying to tank down the road to home (luckily no traffic and wide road so I turned a couple of circles and got back in control).

I've ordered a tub of RelaxMe calmer. Also considering a French link Pelham as his schooling snaffle is a French Link and I've heard it stops them leaning (he's definitely a leaner), but also that a jointed Pelham is counter productive as the joint stops the curb working. Anyone had any experience?

All help and advice very, very gratefully received! Thanks lovely people.

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
OMG that sounds very scary. Do you think he was scared or is he difficult? I am a bit of a fan of gags rather than pelhams especially for horses that tuck their heads in with curb chains. Sorry not much help really but did not want to read and run, it must have been awful for you.

Last edited:

Helenx

Visit site
Thanks Sport Horse, it was! I think he was scared initially, then difficult! Yes, a gag is tempting... we tried a Tom thumb for a little while, we had breaks but tossed his head a lot. Thanks for the sympathy :)

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If you do decide to go for a gag instead of a pelham, I'd get one with cheeks because with his ability to set his neck you need all the help you can get to turn him when he's misbehaving. Pelhams aren't cheek bits as such but they do help a little with steering. You can get either a pelham or a gag with french link mouthpiece.

It sounds as though he repeatedly tanked off with you not truely bolting. Well done for sorting it out a bit and not coming off or galloping all the way home.

I use a technique with ones who tank whereby as soon as I have them back under full control, I'll take them back to the point they did it and make them either continue the ride (if they tried to go home) or make them walk home, doing walk/trot transitions all the time. Even though you got your horse under control, you still allowed him to return home and that just puts it into his mind that he can do what he likes. I'm not saying he wasn't genuinely scared by the children but it's also an excuse to tank off. The more you let him get away with going home when he chooses, the more he'll do it.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Is he like this in summer? If he is stabled at the moment I'd be looking for some turnout in company to help get the freshness out of him. For brakes on tanking ponies I've had the best success with a kineton noseband.

WandaMare

Visit site
Was he unusually fresh today, mine were full of it too and I think part of it was down to the freezing cold wind, I am also based near the Mendips. Even my quieter one was tricky. Maybe do a schooling session before hacking for the next few times just to tire him out a bit, spring fever has definitely started!

Helenx

Visit site
Thanks All.

Totally agree with Sugar and Spice re:- not turning for home, to clarify, I didn't let him go home the way he'd come (and the way he tanked towards), we just opted for a quicker route as I was a bit shaken up! But it's a fair point as I didn't make him go right back to where we started, I guess about half way and then took the alternative, quicker, route. I'm afraid my nerves weren't up to making him go back. Not great, but the honest truth.

Also yes, it was more of a strong/repeated tank than a true panicked bolt.

Gloi - he's out all day and night during the week but we bring them onto the yard with haylage and water over the weekends so we can ride easily as we have to lead them along a busy road to get them in/turn them out.

No he wasn't being fresh to start, went out like a lamb. We were (typically) just commenting on how good he'd been and I was explaining to my riding companion how he is never strong up on the Mendips! I guess he heard me and thought he'd show me up! He does play up when it's windy up there, but then most of them do I think.

I've ordered a French link Pelham. His schooling snaffle is a French link hanging cheek, so I figured this Pelham would feel the same if I was riding the snaffle rein, but hopefully with brakes. Also a drop noseband as he opened his mouth to evade.

Thanks all, fab to have the support/suggestions/advice,

Evie91

Visit site
I'd second the gag advice.
Many years ago I rode a CB x who used to tank off if he thought it was time to go home! He knew the routes better than me, one time I thought we were in for jumping a huge ditch but he knew there was a tiny concrete walk way and went hell for leather over that heading for a gap in the hedge and the road home! I used to have to lean forward and haul him round. Then I would insist (often with shaking legs!) that we went back and rode the route I wanted. Usually( if it was safe )when he started to slow I would continue to make him canter (in a controlled fashion!) until I wanted to stop, not when he decided too!
He always took me by surprise too, plodding one minute and galloping off the next. I used to do a lot of circles! He was also naughty if you got off out hacking, put one foot in the stirrup to get back on and he was off - so I got used to being quick!
He was used for lessons in a riding school, a huge horse about 17.2, a real plod in the school but a law unto himself when out hacking alone!! Taught me a lot.
Eventually he gave up and we used to hack out for hours :)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My mare used to be ridden in a mullen mouth Pelham and was also a tanker! I had no chance of stopping her, I think you're right to swap to a jointed Pelham, as I found with the straight bar, she could bite down on it and I had no control, I swapped mine to a Waterford, not realising how harsh they were supposed to be but she was like a new horse in it!

Helenx

Visit site
Circles definitely help, if I can catch him before he gets into his stride.

I have a friend who used to stop her greedy horse from tanking by offering him a polo, apparently he'd stop dead! Not sure I'll try that one though. Jacob also has a tendency to nip!

What sort of gag are we talking, the multi-ring type or the rope through the bit type?

That tiny concrete bridge at a gallop sounds terrifying!

I can probably get my hands on either to trial.

I didn't know what a kineton was, but having done some research, that also looks like an option, although it said must be used with a snaffle which fills me with fear.

Helenx

Visit site
Thanks Kezzabell2, that's given me a bit (haha) more confidence in my choice of the jointed Pelham.

We tried a Waterford snaffle for schooling and it seemed less effective thank a French link.

I guess there is simply no rhyme nor reason to horses and bitting.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I found a PeeWee bit worked very well in similar circumstances. The side pieces mean that turning is much easier as well,so you stay in control and he can't do 180

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Best advice I was given for a bolter and it bloody works when you need it most ! when he spins count to four then both hands on one rein pull his nose around in to your stirrup. Keep your balance by putting some of your weight into the opposite stirrup. Basically disunites the back end so they can't gallop on. I really was on uneasy about giving it ago and you are best to practice in a school so they get used to. But it works and saved me loads of times. My most frightening episode nearly bolting across a busy main road I was ready to chuck myself off, I thought I can't go on like this and got some help as my confidence was the gutter. Good luck

Helenx

Visit site
Thanks I'll use that if I get into another emergency situation. Don't have a school to practice it in at the mo (waterlogged!), but a good tip.

I'd never heard of a Pee Wee bit so had a look. Interesting, another one to go one my list to try!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If he's leaning and a head down pull type then a cheltnham gag will lift his head. Other types of gag will potentially get it lower. You can also use it with 2 rein so one as a snaffle and the other one for the moments.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I've always found a double bridle works - I'm assuming you are using two reins with your Pelham? It gives you the option of the snaffle action and the proper curb action if you need it. However trying the various bits to find out which suits you both best is a good idea.

darkbay19

Visit site
You could try a gag as that may have a better action. If he pulls his head down u could try a Cheltenham gag. You could also try a Dutch gag as well. I'm also a fan of the Pee Wee bits as well. I also do what Abby-Lou does to save myself in an emergency! I understand that after you might be a bit shaken up but if it's safe to do so (and sensible) then you could try the kick on technique at a controlled pace and when he's tired kick him on again and stop him when your ready. That's whats worked with me and my ponies. Hope you get it sorted soon 😃

However, I should also add the kick on thing should only ever be done if a pony is bolting out of naughtiness and not spooking.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
If he's leaning and a head down pull type then a cheltnham gag will lift his head. Other types of gag will potentially get it lower. You can also use it with 2 rein so one as a snaffle and the other one for the moments.

This. I had a lovely big cob on loan years ago. She was usually good as gold but every now and again she would slam her head down and tank off. Nothing could stop her. So on the advice of her owner who had experienced the same, I got a cheltenham gag with 2 reins. I left the curb rein on her neck and only picked it up in an emergency. She only tried it once in that bit. Got pulled up sharpish and never did it again :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally I've never touched a gag in my life as I hate their action. For a leaner like this, I think I'd try a waterford as they can't get a hold on it. As much as I dont like strong bits, I think in a serious case like this I would definately use something stronger than you've got for your safety and to ensure he's not going to get into this dangerous habit. I think I'd also try to do a hell of a lot of desensitizing him at home (taking him to shows etc. too if possible) and making obstacle courses in your school / field at home with flappy bags, tarpolin etc. to walk over etc. so he'll gain trust in you too as well as him realising his over-reaction is now acceptable (and you'll be far safer in an enclosed area). Good luck OP! Bolters send chills to my spine!

Helenx

Visit site
Bizarrely the thing that seems to set him off, even in his field is simply people walking. He spooked at a massive blue tarpaulin blowing in the wind last weekend, but just kept an eye (and ear!) fixed on it as he pranced past, then settled again. People go past on a footpath near his field and he goes round like an idiot until they go. I bought him at 18 months wild off the moor, so I wonder if a group of people did something to freak him out as a baby that has stuck with him.

I'll see how the French link Pelham with a drop noseband goes, then we'll move onto a Dutch Gag with double reins I think. I'm not a fan of the Cheltenham Gag, but not sure why as never used one, so perhaps need to get over my preconceptions.

Clodagh

Visit site
In my old fashioned opinion there is no point using a jointed pelham, as the bend just released the curb chain. I love a waterford and a kineton noseband on strong horses. As he sounds like a little sod I would go for a three ring gag waterford with two reins and a kineton. It is better that his mouth hurts than you both die by running across a road or something.
Double bridles are wonderful things too.

Equi

Visit site
Rather than putting more metal in his mouth, you could maybe try some ground work and desesitsation. Get everything you know sets him off and make him work through it slowly one thing at a time. If he is confident in life, he won't need to bolt.

[100323]

Visit site
My pony can wind himself up over an inch high tractor on the horizon. I started him on Clop, a liquid calmer, and he is a lot better. He still spooks at somethings but comes down quickly, instead of winding himself up about it. I have taught him the word Polo, and it is very useful in getting over his phobia of motor bikes. He now stands looking for a Polo as one or two bikes come past. Not met a group yet. He used to dance on the spot, or spin and run for a few strides. Then get himself in a state, before calmer. I hope you find a solution.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'll see how the French link Pelham with a drop noseband goes, then we'll move onto a Dutch Gag with double reins I think. I'm not a fan of the Cheltenham Gag, but not sure why as never used one, so perhaps need to get over my preconceptions.

A Cheltenham gag is just a snaffle until you pick up the curb rein :)

khalino

Visit site
I'll tell you now a french link mouthpiece does nothing, I have a bolter myself and you have 0 breaks. I'm considering getting another bridle so I can stick my jointed fulmer on it and hack him out in that.
In all seriousness, I don't believe anything will stop a tanking/bolting horse, so I've gone right back down to schooling and getting him used to my aids again.

I'll keep and eye on this thread for bit advice though. I do have a pelham which I really don't want to use out hacking.

be positive

Visit site
Nothing will stop a horse that has really bolted, it either needs to run out of steam or hit something, a horse that is tanking off is normally stopped by getting it before it has really got going usually this requires the rider to be totally on the ball and use one rein with force to get it back while it is still not up to speed, once they have got into gear technique is still of as much if not more help than a strong bit on most, a well timed pull on one rein will get them off balance and should allow the rider to take control back even if it has to be done in several stages.
Once they are running using both reins at the same time will just be a case of who can pull hardest and the horse will usually win, whatever is in it's mouth, for the OP I don't think a jointed or double jointed pelham will really help as the curb chain will not really be in contact once you take a pull, a cheltenham or dutch gag may be a better option but it depends on how he sets himself, learning how to do a one rein stop would be most beneficial so you can stop him before he gets into gear, also schooling him so you can get his attention before he spins, not easy when they react very quickly but having them working out hacking, listening to you at all times can gradually make them more accepting of things they are not so comfortable with.

marotelle

Visit site
I sympathise with you, a horse that takes off with intent can be a very frightening experience, not to mention downright Dangerous. I am not talking about bolting , which is a totally différant subject, and one that for me only has one solution and its a final one...
Tanking off as far as the horse see's it is somewhat fun and often they are just beeing a tat or
frankly they feel your fear and start taking the pee.
I had one that did this regularly during cross country,although it was caused by" enthusiasme"
it nonetheless was pretty Dangerous.I don't have much sense of humour on those occasions;I found a Waterford gag ridden with two reins with an added kineton noseband combination soon put a stop to this kind of game.
Obviously you must have an independant seat and not rely on your reins for your basic balance; or your horse will loose all confidance and become unridable,this combination IS harsh so does need some tactfull riding, but it usually is efficient.
Good luck but please be careful,tanking off is a no no with me!