Just being nosey.. what level rider do you think you are?

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I galloped racehorses for 12 years, schooled for top jumping riders(mostly flat), and start and reschool horses. I still think I'm pretty useless most of the time.

I'd like to be better at many things and at this stage I accept I won't and that's ok. Going to be jumping my own homebred this year instead of paying someone else and I'm terrified I will mess her up. I feel she deserves better. And someone who can remember a course!

Terri

Spudlet

Visit site
Now, does the ability to cling monkey-like around a horse's neck count as a high-level skill, or is it negated by the propensity for getting into these situations in the first place?:D

vieshot

Visit site
I think it's a hard question because in some areas of riding I would say experienced and in others very novice!!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Forty years' practice has just taught me that I need another 40 years practice. I'm tolerably good at sitting trot and even better at falling off but my increasing years mean I enjoy the former more than the latter! I'm in the club with those who say "experienced enough not to get on that!". I'm not hugely experienced in any field but know that a better horse makes me a better rider - so good enough to jump a 1m course on a good horse but not necessarily on a bad one!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I came across a girl who told me she could ride anything, well not in my book, she could not ride any horse, she was useless, no horse went well for her, she could not jump her lovely little [schooled ] arab, in other words she made every horse look worse than it was, the fact that she could stay in the saddle of a quiet pony did not make her a rider.
I came across a lady who told me she used to ride when she was a child, turned out she was "self-taught", did not know how to lead a pony, mount or dismount, and she was the experienced person, child was even worse.

If there's a subtext to that, please do go ahead and say it - you're probably correct...

I've seen you ride and you would be fine to go round 1.10 on a horse that knew its job. I can and you don't ride any better or worse than me. Just because you haven't ever done it doesn't mean you couldn't and you shouldn't think it does! I won't have it!

Hmm, see I think you're much more effective than me - and a heck of a lot braver :D Even if I could jump a 1.10 course (on a very honest horse) I would probably wet myself into every fence :cool:

rhino

Visit site
Hmm, see I think you're much more effective than me - and a heck of a lot braver :D Even if I could jump a 1.10 course (on a very honest horse) I would probably wet myself into every fence :cool:

Stop putting yourself down missus. If only the ginger boy was in work I would drag you up here and make you go round a 1.10 course on him :p And I'm fairly sure YO would happily let you ride one of her horses - don't compete but can do all the advanced dressage stuff! I am sure you would be just fine :D

Bright_Spark

Visit site
On a good day, I would say intermediate.

On a day like today, I feel like I should only ever be allowed near a photo of a horse...and even then will require supervision :eek:

Jesstickle

Visit site
Stop putting yourself down missus. If only the ginger boy was in work I would drag you up here and make you go round a 1.10 course on him :p And I'm fairly sure YO would happily let you ride one of her horses - don't compete but can do all the advanced dressage stuff! I am sure you would be just fine :D

Sounds like a job for BH. He'll jump round 1.10 at home without a fuss. Wait till the jumps go out for summer and we're off :)

JFTD, you wouldn't wet your pants if you were on a horse you knew could do it easily. That's the only difference. 1.10 to Fergs is enormous. To a big horse it's just a big canter stride! :D I'm not brave over fences by nature but on an uncomplicated (big) horse with a bit of scope it all becomes quite easy. Honest. You can ask people on my yard how big I jumped before the boat came along if you like. Answer is really not very!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sounds like a job for BH. He'll jump round 1.10 at home without a fuss. Wait till the jumps go out for summer and we're off :)

JFTD, you wouldn't wet your pants if you were on a horse you knew could do it easily. That's the only difference. 1.10 to Fergs is enormous. To a big horse it's just a big canter stride! :D I'm not brave over fences by nature but on an uncomplicated (big) horse with a bit of scope it all becomes quite easy. Honest. You can ask people on my yard how big I jumped before the boat came along if you like. Answer is really not very!!

Have you seen my style over larger fences? It's so textbook, it really is :cool:

268395_523917201357_278600097_987675_5379301_n.jpg

Joking aside, BH is a credit to you - maybe you didn't jump much before him - but he didn't either ;)

I don't expect Fergs to get round 1.10s. I'd settle to get round 60cm without shameful crashing through fences :cool: One day :D

rhino, that would be hilarious - poor ginger lad would probably roll his eyes and ignore me... And your YO's horses would do beautiful lateral work and tempi changes while I sit there asking them to trot in a straight line :D

lizstuguinness

Visit site
I would say experienced as I have lots of experience accumulated over the years and have ridden affiliated in all disciplines, however I may not always be the most competent rider :rolleyes: so not sure if experienced and competent necessarily go hand in hand!

Agree with this stement completyl. Ive been riding since 16yrs old, went international bsja at 21. Ridden so many horrible nags and so many nice ones, but am the first to admit that as self taught there is still many rough edges to my riding which id love to go to a trainer to get removed! and ive only done sj, BE scares me :) and i love dressage but only cos of the improvement and partnership between horse and rider, also not good enough!

JFTDWS

Visit site
AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Please don't make me type my rant again! :mad:

After 12 years riding you are NOT "new to the sport" or a beginner :mad:

I read Laurenbay's reply and thought "Please God, for Kat's sanity, don't let her see that :eek:" :D

LaurenBay

Visit site
Sorry I didn't want to read through all 11 pages. No I am not a new rider or beginner. But I would say I am not a great rider :eek:

rhino

Visit site
Not sure why you're getting so ranty about actually, Kat. Novice means different things to different people; after all a 'Novice' eventer is actually competing at more than half way up the levels..

BE80
BE90
BE100
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced

;) :D

and is capable of jumping round a 1.10 sj and xc course.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Just for you, LB :p

ARGH I'm going to have a rant.

Can we please be clear about the use of the term novice, it is being misused and it is making the term worthless.

Novice means new to something, a beginner. So all those people saying I'm a novice but I've been riding 20 years are talking rubbish, you may have been riding 20 years and remain techinically a bad rider, or have 20 years experience but lack skill but you are no longer a novice.

You also can't be a novice in confidence, you might lack confidence and that may hold your riding back but confidence has nothing to do with whether you are a novice or not.

Most of us acknowledge and recognise that you never stop learning and improving (and if you don't recognise that then you should give up now) but that doesn't mean that you are a novice all your life.

Calling yourself something other than novice doesn't mean that you think you know everything there is to know, neither does it mean that you believe you are better than Mark Todd. It just means you are no longer a beginner.

So all those people who say that they are a novice but have been riding for years and years have a rethink. Maybe call yourself, competent, intermediate, experienced but nervous, experienced but lacking techincal skill, experienced but rusty, or just tell people what your limitations are.

If we all call ourselves novices it makes it impossible to distinguish genuine novices. So what does the person who has had six months worth of weekly group lessons call themselves? If you are the proprietor of a riding school/trekking centre and you have five people all calling themselves novice riders which do you give the steadiest horse to? How do you know whether they are a beginner or someone with 20 years experience being coy?

Rant over! :D

And rhino, I've always found that completely counter-intuitive :p BE makes no sense to me :eek:

Kat

Visit site
I read Laurenbay's reply and thought "Please God, for Kat's sanity, don't let her see that :eek:" :D

Too late, blood pressure has gone through the roof, and steam is coming out of my ears!

Sorry I didn't want to read through all 11 pages. No I am not a new rider or beginner. But I would say I am not a great rider :eek:

Smack bottom for not reading every single reply before posting :p

Not sure why you're getting so ranty about actually, Kat. Novice means different things to different people; after all a 'Novice' eventer is actually competing at more than half way up the levels..

BE80
BE90
BE100
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced

The use of novice in affiliated competition is correct though, it is used to mean new to the sport, as in not riding in general but the specific discipline. Back in the mists of time the lowest level of affiliated BE was novice so the participants were "beginners to the sport of eventing". Same with dressage novice used to be the entry level.

It is all a bit cockeyed when Novice eventing is actually over halfway up the ladder though. It made a little more sense when the levels were all named like in dressage, BE used to be pre-novice and intro and BD has prelim and intro. The use of novice relates to the participant being a novice in the context of the specific discipline.

:p

Flame_

Visit site

BE80
BE90
BE100
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced

Which has always been blooming barking because no genuine novice horse/rider would ever have been able to compete at BE Novice level. They should always have used fence heights/dressage standards to define classes. The word novice does means beginner.

stacey_lou

Visit site
I would say experienced in that I can sit to anything pretty much and I can advise to the best of my ability.

I dont nessercerally always do the right things at the right time so still require lessons to help me improve but I like to think I have learnt over the years and come on as a rider.

I learn something new everytime I have lesson and this is healthy for me as soon as I get to the point where I feel I no lomger need lessons I feel is the day I require a wake up call.

Confidence wise I learn to grow it each time I jump a new fence or something bolder and brighter on the XC.

My friend brings me a lot of confidence when out on the XC as she can see the mistakes I am about to make and helps me correct them before we get in a tizz and I her too. Its nice to have people like this you can ride with.

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
As numerous other people have said, it can be hard to answer. It's all relative.

I had the ride on numerous ponies or had full loans as a child. I then picked up riding again at uni when i started having lessons and learning to properly ride. As a child all i cared about was having fun and enjoying my ponies. There was no money for lessons.

Therefore, i feel that I am only properly learning to ride now.

I think horsepower can be a limiting factor as well - A friend commented how she thought my riding had improved alot lately. Very nice comment and pleased with that. But i do think your only as good as your horse. My little spanish pony is so sensitive and hot, whilst still quite green i only need the smallest of aids....her sensitivity as developed my 'feel'.
I wouldn't describe myself at all as a classical rider at all - in fact im going back to lunge lessons and seat training. But I would say for the first time I understand what my trainer means by 'feel'....at least i know what the end result should be!

I think my attitude towards horses has changed. I want to have a correctly trained horse who is soft and light, as well as competition success. Whereas before I just wanted competition success.

I won't take risks anymore. I will no longer offer my services for naughty horses...I just don't want to risk myself and my confidence is fragile.

I often feel down about my riding ability...I feel i am rubbish but that said I wouldn't offer my girl to anyone to ride. So that must say something!

Sorry all this waffle and I still haven't answered the question - I think I am an Intermediate or as my trainer has put it previously 'ambitious amateur'!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I have no idea . . . but I can walk, trot, canter, jump (although I don't do it any more b/c I hate it), hack in company and/or alone depending on horse, in school do some lateral work - leg yield, shoulder in, counter canter, flying changes . . . however, I see horsemanship as more than just what you can do on top . . . I can load/unload a horse, bandage for respective purpose, rug (or not) according to conditions, assess fit of saddle/bridle (although I would always rely on a saddler) and correctly fit a variety of tack and rugs, muck out/manage a stable effectively, assess feed and manage accordingly, lunge, long-rein, trot up/assess lameness (but again, I would want a vet or farrier to verify), I can pull a mane and tail, but please don't ask me to plait.

I think I'm a relatively novice-y horse owner and rider who does the best by her horse and is always willing to learn from others.

I've managed to not only keep Kali alive and well for the past two years, but actually improve him, manage his condition, improve his way of going and topline, effectively manage his feed to suit his temperament, proactively work with his farrier to impove and manage his feet (e.g., he is now unshod behind and has been since last summer at my request). Yes, I've had some help in the form of advice from friends and active help from my trainer . . . but I've known enough to seek the help and figure out for myself what works for him (and conversely what doesn't).

So. What level am I? Competent (but still learning) horsewoman.

P

Nannon

Visit site
I've been riding since I could walk - I am competent and confident most of the time, but not very tidy. My dad said "brave, effective but not elegant at all!" tehe :p
I know I should be able to do better but as I have the horses at home and nobody really helps me etc I haven't got a clue what I look like etc - must get some lessons this summer...
Competed at open level RC an went to several nationals with them at sj and xc, could have affiliated but lack of funds :(

Jayde87

Visit site
This thread makes me laugh. It's amazing how inflated some people's ego's are!
To me - an experienced rider has confidence, talent and ability. It is these factors combined that produce an experienced rider. For this, the rider must ride each horse individually, consistantly and sympathetically. Some people are more talented riders, yes granted. But does this really come from pure chance of "talent"? To me, talent involves dedication, motivation and drive. It is only after these things are acheived that one may become successful.

Yes, each individual will have different perceptions of the terms experienced, intermediate and novice - and afterall, in a sport as complex as Equestrianism, it can be hard to define which catagory we each may 'fit' into.

If there is one thing that winds me up more than anything, it's inflated ego's and overconfident riders. That is where people fall down at hurdles they set too high.

asbo

Visit site
I have an electric, but sticky bum, I will get on anything and give it ago, can I ride it well? Maybe,maybe not, but I dont give up on a horse and will ride it to the best of my ability.

I know quite a few very good riders who would not get on some of the beasts I have had and have always been shocked at seeing me hack out bareback etc, infact, I have been told I am mental quite a few times for sticking by the slightly more nutty ones, don't in any way think I am a good rider, just a persistant one lol.