Just being nosey.. what level rider do you think you are?

PinkCob

Visit site
I have started considering myself as a novice as although i've ridden since I was 4 I still cannot get my head around my balance.
I can't sit in rising trot I just bounce everywhere. -.- And therefore, I cannot ask for canter with my legs as i'm too busy bouncing around. ANYWAY..

What level would you class yourself?
Novice?
Higher?
Experianced?

Sorry just being nosey really! :)

Last edited:

Farma

Visit site
I would say experienced as I have lots of experience accumulated over the years and have ridden affiliated in all disciplines, however I may not always be the most competent rider :rolleyes: so not sure if experienced and competent necessarily go hand in hand!

PinkCob

Visit site
I think riding experiance comes into it. Like, how long you've ridden for. I also think that what you do makes you more experianced too.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Average in ability- good seat, reasonable balance and technique rides in a variety of environments on a wide variety of horses safely, can cope with bad/nappy behaviour bucking etc.
Novice in confidence- If I trust/know a horse I will happily do all manner of things jump anything etc. but my confidence is easily lost and it is a slow process to get it back which I find very frustrating as it holds me back massively :(

Mlini

Visit site
Well thats a tricky one.. Depends what you are comparing yourself to.

I wouldn't call myself a novice, but I am not experienced compared to some of you lot! Whereas, I am the most experienced rider on my yard.

I have ridden for about 15 years now, but there are many things that I am not experienced in. i.e. higher level competing etc...

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Horses never stop teaching us do they ? Some riders are more naturally talented than others. As long as we all stay safe and enjoy what we do does it matter what level we are ?

I have been at it for over 30 years, hunted 20 seasons, brought up youngsters,produced very successful show horses etc etc, but I would still class myself as a experienced novice who enjoys amatuer horse keeping.

Long may it last and I know where ever I ride there will be less experienced and far more experienced/talented riders than me, but as long as we all enjoy and remain safe who gives a !

Auslander

Visit site
The more experienced I become, the more crap I realise I am. Knowledge is a terrible thing.

I still haven't fully recovered from Adam Kemp affectionately referring to me as "Wobble and Flop" about 20 years ago

Enfys

Visit site
Competent and no, I wouldn't class myself as a novice.

Experienced? Yes, at some things, and a complete pre-beginner at other things I have never done.

Last edited:

Fools Motto

Visit site
I would say that I'm experienced as have been riding for nearly 30 years. BUT I have not had the experience of every discipline, nor the experience of every type of horse and his/her issues.
I am now rather rusty as just spent the last few years riding my own and pottering about with no pressure, and since having kids am not the confident rider I once was and therefore doubt I'd WANT to ride naughty horses anymore!!

(ps, I'm not great at sitting trot either.... blame it on the lack of match practice!)

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
The more experienced I become, the more crap I realise I am. Knowledge is a terrible thing.

^^^^This....

I have ridden 25+ years and I have a mean sitting trot and often school (40+ minutes) without stirrups (w/t/c) for the heck of it and enjoy it!! I have a sticky bum but as I get older, things like jumping scare me. I stick to side saddle dressage and showing now in my "advancing years" lol. I think I would be considered a "sensible experienced novice" rider :D

Kenzo

Visit site
Good enough to keep the horse between my legs and the ground
.....most of the time anyway! been riding for 26 years (suddenly I feel really old!) so have experience that way but by no means do I class myself as good rider, I'm still learning and have committed myself to having regular lessons, every horse teaches us something different and brings out our faults.
So I'd say I'm average. :)

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
Er...I have many years of experience at being a crap rider! Does this count?

PS I don't bounce in sitting trot, but that is because my horse is an Arab. Very easy to sit when the trot is all floaty and gentle, but that doesn't indicate any expertise on my part, only hers ;)

Auslander

Visit site
Er...I have many years of experience at being a crap rider! Does this count?

PS I don't bounce in sitting trot, but that is because my horse is an Arab. Very easy to sit when the trot is all floaty and gentle, but that doesn't indicate any expertise on my part, only hers ;)

I can sit to any size trot - my seat doesn't move. It's the rest of me - like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8WyOXhJ3uk :eek:

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site

Ha, me too, I can sit Fergs trot because it's about as smooth as they come... It's way easier than rising :cool:

Put me on a proper horse and I too will be changing my name to "Wobble and Flop" :D

debsg

Visit site
Horses never stop teaching us do they ? Some riders are more naturally talented than others. As long as we all stay safe and enjoy what we do does it matter what level we are ?

I have been at it for over 30 years, hunted 20 seasons, brought up youngsters,produced very successful show horses etc etc, but I would still class myself as a experienced novice who enjoys amatuer horse keeping.

Long may it last and I know where ever I ride there will be less experienced and far more experienced/talented riders than me, but as long as we all enjoy and remain safe who gives a !

This :D ^^^^