Just fallen off on the road-wwyd

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I have just got in from having fallen off on the road. Mare spun, lost footing fell on side (losing me in the process) then got up and ran away home..

Hasn't she seen Trolls? Anyway left behind I was. Thankfully got driven the mile 1/2 home found her with superficial grazes to knee/coronet and hock. So I've cleaned and put antibacterial on and now just wondering wwyd? Wait and see how she gets on or call the vet as matter of course? It's been such a long time since I've had to think about this and I'm home alone hence neurotic post.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Ouch for both of you! Is she turned out now? I think I would wait and see how she is tomorrow, and give yourself a good check over too! Hope both of you are only a bit stiff tomorrow :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yeah I agree with YG, don't panic, have a nice cuppa and if she's only got superficial marks chances are you don't need to worry. Let her mooch about quietly and tend to your bruises :)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I've left her turned out in a small paddock, thinking it was best to let her walk around for stiffness/knees. She's 17 next month so she needs all the movement she can get! Thank you, feel a bit fuzzy but now drinking hot sweet tea ��

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thank you milliepops, I'm usually very laid back but being at home and not having anyone to talk to makes me second guess myself sometimes.

I think she smelt a pig lol and to think, we were having such a nice pootle too.

I expect she'll need a few days grace to let her bumps settle, so will I :)

meleeka

Visit site
Oh dear that’s rubbish :(

I’d wait and see too. I may book a bodyworker for her to be sure, but she’s probably just bruised and shaken up like you. I wish both of you a speedy recovery.

Annagain

Visit site
I think you're overthinking things a little. Thinking about it logically, despite a nasty fall and a shock you're not thinking of taking youself off to hospital because you don't have any symptoms to warrant it. She doesn't seem to have any sign of anything more than a few grazes so there's nothing to suggest she needs the vet either at the moment. It sounds like you've both escaped relatively unscathed so let her have a few quiet days in the field and keep an eye on her. Hope you get some good bruises to show for it. Last time I fell off onto tarmac I was expecting a few corkers but nothing. I wasn't impressed.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Anna you're so right. I normally tend towards sensible but thibking "am I being a cow?!" Lol thankfully the general consensus is not right now :))

meleeka

Visit site
I think you're overthinking things a little. Thinking about it logically, despite a nasty fall and a shock you're not thinking of taking youself off to hospital because you don't have any symptoms to warrant it. She doesn't seem to have any sign of anything more than a few grazes so there's nothing to suggest she needs the vet either at the moment. It sounds like you've both escaped relatively unscathed so let her have a few quiet days in the field and keep an eye on her. Hope you get some good bruises to show for it. Last time I fell off onto tarmac I was expecting a few corkers but nothing. I wasn't impressed.
This reminds me of a friend that refused to go to hospital until she’d checked her horse properly. The horse was fine of course but she’d cracked a rib.

Chuckieee

Visit site
Sounds like a nasty fall and I hope that you are both okay.

I think that a well deserved treat for you both is very justified. There are some sports massage technicians that do yard visits to treat both horse and rider!

Nari

Visit site
Just keep an eye on her....assuming no wounds look like possible punctures near joints.

This. If they're only light grazes they should be ok, but if there's any sign of a deeper wound or inflammation or increased stiffness I'd get a vet asap because you don't want an infection in a joint.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Anything really awful would probably be obvious. Anything with a later onset like a strain won’t show up immediately anyway. Mine did something very similar when a friend was riding. He cut his elbow with his hind foot getting up but mostly it set-off his SI issues again having just spent months re-habbing. This did not show up immediately though.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have just got in from having fallen off on the road. Mare spun, lost footing fell on side (losing me in the process) then got up and ran away home..

Hasn't she seen Trolls? Anyway left behind I was. Thankfully got driven the mile 1/2 home found her with superficial grazes to knee/coronet and hock. So I've cleaned and put antibacterial on and now just wondering wwyd? Wait and see how she gets on or call the vet as matter of course? It's been such a long time since I've had to think about this and I'm home alone hence neurotic post.

Any injury to a joint, I would always have the vet check.

Hope your not to sore, and glad the mare made it home ok.