Just for fun. Things non horsey people don’t get...

Baywonder

Visit site
Well, goodness.

1). In tesco, ran into a horsey friend, and having both finished shopping, we queued together while we chatted. As we waited, we were discussing cleaning stuff. I said I ran my bits through the dishwasher every now and then, for a deep clean, but have to remember to rinse them well afterwards, as he complains they taste funny if I don't. Bloke behind us almost choked. I guess he didn't know about bits.

.....and you do realise @saalsk this post will more than likely go down in HHO history? I can just imagine, in a few years time, a thread starting about memorable posts, and your bits in the dishwasher is bound to be mentioned first! :p

my bfg

Visit site
Few years back I told a work mate that I had arranged cover for my girl while I was away with work, then had to explain that no I couldn't just leave a weeks worth of food in her field and get her to ration it herself :)

Mentioned to same work mate that I had to finish on time one night as I had a riding lesson booked, he was shocked and asked "didn't you learn to ride before you got a horse?", I was about to launch into the you should never stop learning, always room for improvement speech, then he said "ooooh so is that why you fell off last week", that stopped me in my tracks lol x

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
2). Did a favour for a friend who had a lorry with knackered ramp springs. She really struggled to get the ramp up with just her lifting, and though replacement springs would help. I said I'd look online and see what I could find. I took the make of the lorry, and the size etc. I googled Man parts. Didn't get what I was expecting.

Not horsey but I had a similar ? moment. I had been talking to a friend about one day I hoped to get a Marsh Daisy or two ( or ten if I’m honest). She wanted to see photos and if any were for sale. I put in hens and as far as cock in cockerel and I can safely say the results were not as expected and they had no feathers!

exracehorse

Visit site
My hairdresser said (it was a few weeks before Christmas) that at least I wouldn’t need to go to the ponies. She was genuinely shocked when I replied that of course I’d be there on Christmas Day. And in the evening. And Boxing Day..... not sure how she thought they would put themselves to bed or be turned out in the morning

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My hairdresser said (it was a few weeks before Christmas) that at least I wouldn’t need to go to the ponies. She was genuinely shocked when I replied that of course I’d be there on Christmas Day. And in the evening. And Boxing Day..... not sure how she thought they would put themselves to bed or be turned out in the morning
Tell her you are out for a ride first thing Xmas morning while the roads are quiet

Cowpony

Visit site
My horse did a poo right in the middle of the drive this morning. My yard neighbour had a good laugh as I said "No....no......no.....really? Right there? I'm going to have to clear that up now!" We were on our way to the arena so I continued, and thought I'd sort it out after our ride. When I got back there was no poo. I thought of this thread and what a non-horsey person would think as I yelled across to my neighbour " Did you clear up my poo? Thank you so much! "

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
The joy of working with non-horsey colleagues.
Him: 'This apple is rank - I'm going to bin it.'
Me: 'No don't - I'll have it for my horse.'
Him: 'The horse won't want it - I've taken a bite out of it.'
Me: 'Trust me - the horse won't mind.'
Him: 'Do they like apples then?'
Me: 'Yes, and squirrels when they can catch them.'
Him: 'Really?'
Me: 'No - you're a cock.'
It was that sort of workplace.

Last edited:

Sleipnir

Visit site
....that time when I absent-mindedly started cleaning my geldings' sheath and pick gunk off his fifth leg while being amidst a kids' camp that was going on at the yard that day. Then, a childs' innocent voice woke me up like a cold shower - "Mommy, what is the lady doing to the horsies' peepee?" o_O:D

Annagain

Visit site
The joy of working with non-horsey colleagues.
Him: 'This apple is rank - I'm going to bin it.'
Me: 'No don't - I'll have it for my horse.'
Him: 'The horse won't want it - I've taken a bite out of it.'
Me: 'Trust me - the horse won't mind.'
Him: 'Do they like apples then?'
Me: 'Yes, and squirrels when they can catch them.'
Him: 'Really?'
Me: 'No - you're a cock.'
It was that sort of workplace.

I arrive in the office (or did before lockdown) to bags and bags of semi rotten fruit that my colleagues save for me. I've had to google what horses can and can't eat because they give me all sorts. A lot ends up on the muck heap. I don't like to say no when they're being nice. Who knew horses can eat (and love) kiwi fruit!

Annagain

Visit site
....that time when I absent-mindedly started cleaning my geldings' sheath and pick gunk off his fifth leg while being amidst a kids' camp that was going on at the yard that day. Then, a childs' innocent voice woke me up like a cold shower - "Mommy, what is the lady doing to the horsies' peepee?" o_O:D
I've told this story before but it's a good one so I'll take the opportunity. A friend brought her son to see Ebony, my old boy. We got him in from the field and, as Eb always did, he had a wee when he got into his stable. The little boy was fascinated by this and afterwards exclaimed very loudly (the yard was pretty busy at the time) "Mummy he's got a fold-away willy, can I have one?"

NA85ISH

Visit site
sat in the office and got a call from a horse friend wanting to know what the facebook page was for the local sheath cleaner, I sat with three lads, not giving it a second thought gave her the name the willy washer and proceeded to discuss the merits of somebody else cleaning and popping the bean, all three were staring at me in horror when i got off the phone

Another good one was when i was out hacking on my old boy, he was a very pleasant horse, a over sized haflinger so very much a look at me kind and he loved the attention. We were riding past one of the fields with the horses grazing when i saw a guy approaching with his young daughter on bikes, we stopped and moved over. The guy then asked if his daughter could stroke the horse, which i agreed, the horse is lapping up the attention as usual when the guy turns around and asks me how much meat i need to feed one of these......... i looked at the field of grazing horses next to us and replied around half a cow a day (thinking he was joking) he was absolutely flabbergasted and couldnt wait to go to the pub and tell his mates how much cow horses eat o_O

The other random one which i am still not sure which way it was meant. Out hacking on the haflinger above and on the lines we hacked on there are seats along the way, an older gentleman would often be sitting on one of the seats, normally i would smile and shout morning etc. Well today this man decided he would like a chat, of course the horse obliged straight over to be fussed, i am sure he could understand people, we were chatting about the weather etc then i announced we would have to get moving as we had the silly cob to sort still, this older guy then says randomly out of the blue "it must be nice to have 15 hands underneath you" ????? make of that what you will, because i smiled and made haste away, changing our hacking route for a few weeks

ZondaR

Visit site
In Nandos with my then teenage son some years ago.
Me: I was riding Pablo today and he was was really stiff in my left hand. My arm is sore after pulling so hard.
Son covered his face and slid under the table. :D:D (He understood but the people at the next table didn't).

Also, when I was in the middle of a chemo treatment and my phone rang. It was my friend wanting to discuss worming. We discussed grass and worm count and what wormer would be best for the time of year, the usual. When I hung up one of the nurses asked me if I had a horse. Turned out she rode too and we had a lovely horsey conversation.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My oh would quite often drive the lorry and come to shows with me and his watched my lessons, he knows how the horse should be going along in an outline or on the bit, but his terminology is it's neck is not bent enough so it's no good.