Just keeps getting better session 18.

Armas

Visit site
So today we tried out the NeuroMuscular Electrical Stimulation prior to the ridden session. The trainer commented that he felt much more fluid and receptive and was moving much straighter.
You can judge for your self. As usual the trainers comments can be found at the end but also at 14.20.

[video=youtube_share;H_n7HURucDA]http://youtu.be/H_n7HURucDA[/video]

quirky

Visit site
Have you thought of riding him bitless?
It might encourage him to get his chin off his chest, it worked for my Paso :)

Ladyinred

Visit site
Have you thought of riding him bitless?
It might encourage him to get his chin off his chest, it worked for my Paso :)

I suggested that three weeks ago Quirky and didn't get a reply...

Sometimes a spell bitless reminds a horse there is a better way to carry his/herself.

But what do I know.......

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yeh, much better. His trot work has improved drastically, and there's a much better rhythm in the canter too. I think the lateral work at the beginning helped his straightness to some extent too, because after this just before the canter work, she puts her leg on to move his haunches and he immediately flicks them back over. He doesn't seem like he's going straight of his own accord yet, but he does look infinitely more maneuverable.

Really good session - you must be really pleased.

Frozen Hoof Boots

Visit site
At 13.30 when she lifts her backside out the saddle and Armas is allowed to stretch are the better. However I am repeating something that I've written before in previous posts. More long and low, rider into jump seat and allow him to swing.

Have you see this? Maybe will help? http://vimeo.com/19771968

Last edited:

Armas

Visit site
I suggested that three weeks ago Quirky and didn't get a reply...

Sometimes a spell bitless reminds a horse there is a better way to carry his/herself.

But what do I know.......

Sorry I must of missed the post as some of the earlier threads went of tangent. At this point in time I am going to stick with the bit. But thank you both for the suggestion.

Yeh, much better. His trot work has improved drastically, and there's a much better rhythm in the canter too. I think the lateral work at the beginning helped his straightness to some extent too, because after this just before the canter work, she puts her leg on to move his haunches and he immediately flicks them back over. He doesn't seem like he's going straight of his own accord yet, but he does look infinitely more maneuverable.

Really good session - you must be really pleased.

We were both really pleased it all seems to be starting to coming together. Fingers crossed this will be the way forward. I am going to keep using the NMES.

In answer to the question re aims some low level competitions.

Goldenstar

Visit site
This was really a great session the contact is improving and the straightness you must be very happy.
I think you may have a muscle in spasm in his neck on the near side you can see something clearly going on there does he have a scar on his neck about two thirds of the way up ?
It's difficult to compare sides because of his mane but I would have a good feel and see.
The work on his back has helped a great deal.
Onwards and upwards .

Armas

Visit site
He had a bit of a allergic reaction just over a week ago to fly repellent and a number of nast bites :frown4: I had to give him a cortisone injection. The marks on his neck were from the reaction.

So happy to day I am also looking forward to him having a session with a chiropractor. However I am struggling to organise a session, we called two practitioners both are pregnant and not working and one guy is on holiday.
Not willing to try an unknown. Still searching !

cobalobM

Visit site
agree with frozen hoof boots, think it would be nice to see her riding with her bum out of the saddle!!! let him stretch more and go more freely

Armas

Visit site
No particular goal I enjoy dressage and would like to compete some jumping and rather like working equitation.

Auslander

Visit site
Idle musing here, after reading the above responses...

Why is it so important to have a plan - master, or otherwise? We are predominantly leisure riders on here, our horses aren't for sale, and we don't have to prove anything to anyone, not being pro's. I don't have a plan, never have had. I've produced my last horse up to a pretty decent level, but never took him to a competition - I just taught him stuff because it was fun, and I like riding the advanced movements. I love seeing and feeling an improvement, and experiencing the odd lightbulb moment - but do I have a goal? No Sirree. I just like being around my horse...

be positive

Visit site
By far the best he has gone, the whole session was good to watch, yes he is still BTV but he is much softer and open in his frame generally, how much this is due to the treatment I am not sure, he may just be getting stronger and gaining the confidence he requires to carry himself, probably a combination of everything.

Auslander

Visit site
I'd love to see what happens when he's ridden on the buckle, like no contact whatsoever

So would I!
My guess is that he'd go faster and faster and faster and faster until he was a little white blur, the rider would get dizzier and dizzier until she threw up or fell off, and he would disappear off across the horizon via an Armas shaped hole in the fence.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Lovely looking horse, but..... to me he looks far too held in at the front and is not working from behind. His hind legs do not really work through and create impulsion. he needs o be channelled more from behind into a contact not held from the front back into a contact. I can sort of see when rider is trying to come from, in the trot towards the end he was being pushed forward fast. I will often work my horse in a very slow small trot and then once engaged push him forward into extended then collect again. In my opinion this horse needs to work more from behind before being pushed forward as he was not engaging, merely moving faster. Also did wonder if right hind has had a stifle issue as there appears to be reduced flexion through that leg.

Armas

Visit site
So would I!
My guess is that he'd go faster and faster and faster and faster until he was a little white blur, the rider would get dizzier and dizzier until she threw up or fell off, and he would disappear off across the horizon via an Armas shaped hole in the fence.

Rolling around on the floor with fits of laughter as that is exactly what would happen !

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Idle musing here, after reading the above responses...

Why is it so important to have a plan - master, or otherwise? We are predominantly leisure riders on here, our horses aren't for sale, and we don't have to prove anything to anyone, not being pro's.

I have idle-ly mused this to myself too several times on these threads :)
I do kind of have a plan with mine but it's *very* loose and mainly just to learn as much as I can while training her.

Also loving the mental image of an Armas shaped hole & disorientated rider :biggrin3:

He is looking more accepting of the rider each time she sits on him, I've said it before but I think that's the best thing about all of the work. And IMHO that's exactly what you need, James, because then you can get on when he's set up and established, and learn where the buttons are without him over-reacting.
As the stretchy work is looking the most secure at the moment, that would be what I would have suggested you started working on when you are in the saddle, with her shouting instructions :wink3:

It's nice that she watches the videos too :) I think all horses can feel one way on board and look so different from the ground. The feel is vastly more important IMO but from an amateur's point of view it's nice to hear pro riders find video useful too. I noticed she had a mirror in the indoor school. Shame she doesn't have a giant bank of them outdoors but can't have everything :wink3: :biggrin3:

I'm really encouraged by the way he reaches up and out to the rein when she sends him forward. I feel like that was where she was heading right from day one and he is beginning to respond to that now that he's starting to learn to engage and seek the contact.
He's also staying forward and soft in the lateral work, not becoming tighter & tighter and scuttling away any more.

Nice bit of mix & match with the exercises today too, I thought - he's getting a quicker reward for producing a little bit of quality work.

Last edited:

chocolatepony

Visit site
I think this looks like the best session yet, he looks much softer especially in the trot work. I agree with milliepops that it was nice to see the mix and match of work.

Cheiro1

Visit site
A lot to like about this session, definitely the best session yet!

I haven't commented on a few I will admit, as a couple of sessions ago I thought he was going backward a bit, but it looks so much softer and more comfortable all round this session :)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
This is definitely the best session yet with a huge improvement. I didn't find myself wincing and wanting to look away. He looked so much more relaxed and happy. :)

Rexyrhubarb

New User
Visit site
He is looking more accepting of the rider each time she sits on him, I've said it before but I think that's the best thing about all of the work. And IMHO that's exactly what you need, James, because then you can get on when he's set up and established, and learn where the buttons are without him over-reacting.
As the stretchy work is looking the most secure at the moment, that would be what I would have suggested you started working on when you are in the saddle, with her shouting instructions :wink3:

I'm really encouraged by the way he reaches up and out to the rein when she sends him forward. I feel like that was where she was heading right from day one and he is beginning to respond to that now that he's starting to learn to engage and seek the contact.
He's also staying forward and soft in the lateral work, not becoming tighter & tighter and scuttling away any more.

Nice bit of mix & match with the exercises today too, I thought - he's getting a quicker reward for producing a little bit of quality work.

Totally agree with this. :thumbup: He looks like he is reaching forward with his hind legs and into contact more, which particularly shows in the more forward work. I really liked the way the rider interspersed the more challenging/collected work with the easier, stretchier, forward sessions- that's kind of what I had in mind when I suggested to reduce the duration of collected work. :D

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
I don't see why he has to have a future plan at all !! A much better session, I liked his work towards the end of the session, when she gives the contact a bit, much better, interestingly has she ever said wether he finds it harder on the right rein ?

Armas

Visit site
I don't see why he has to have a future plan at all !! A much better session, I liked his work towards the end of the session, when she gives the contact a bit, much better, interestingly has she ever said wether he finds it harder on the right rein ?
He is slightly weaker on one side in the same way that most people have a more dominant side. I hope that makes sense.
It was a very positive session :) onwards and upwards tally ho and all that jazz.