Just playing ponies (rant alert)

Marigold4

Visit site
I find this sort of horse oneupmanship really disheartening. I did a Novice dressage competition on a connie last year where all were 16 hh + and blingy. Got lots of 'ah, isn't she sweet' and a 'well done for giving it a go'. We came second in the end. The 'you are on a pony so you must be useless' attitude is really difficult to live with sometimes. It's hard to know what to say in return, perhaps 'you seem very over-horsed - I hope you don't fall off'?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I find the whole concept of elite sports quite interesting. At the absolute top level then of course it's very entertaining as a spectator, and it pushes boundaries and records, and without the lower levels there wouldn't be a top level. But really, for the vast majority of people, competing at a low level is just a different way for an individual to enjoy their own horse, ie just another way for them to play with their ponies ?‍♀️

catkin

Visit site
I find this sort of horse oneupmanship really disheartening. I did a Novice dressage competition on a connie last year where all were 16 hh + and blingy. Got lots of 'ah, isn't she sweet' and a 'well done for giving it a go'. We came second in the end. The 'you are on a pony so you must be useless' attitude is really difficult to live with sometimes. It's hard to know what to say in return, perhaps 'you seem very over-horsed - I hope you don't fall off'?

What do you say in return?
You just smile because you know that your pony will
give them a lead past a car/out-turn them on a sharp corner/has an extended trot to die for/can be trusted not to flatten granny*
* delete as required, other examples are available

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What do you say in return?
You just smile because you know that your pony will
give them a lead past a car/out-turn them on a sharp corner/has an extended trot to die for/can be trusted not to flatten granny*
* delete as required, other examples are available
Um... nope ? my pony relies heavily on her curly blonde locks and cute face ? doesn't have many practical redeeming features, it's the cute factor or nothing ?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Horses are pretty boring compared to the fun you can have on an equine who 'gets' fun. I've got one of each and whilst the TB is very grand and all, it's flying about on ponio that really makes me laugh. Plus he's a bundle of 'ha, make me behave...' very characterful person!

I think you might have seen a greenish tinge to her when she said it. Probably wouldn't know joy if it ran past her, waving a flag with 'JOY' written on it.

saddlesore

Visit site
I have played ponies for 30 years lol. I’m a leisure/hobby rider and that’s fine by me. Although I do ride my ‘hobby horse’ a lot and we do a lot of mileage hacking wise and we school/jump etc. I just can’t afford transport.

Kat

Visit site
Doesn't "playing ponies" just mean that it isn't your job? It is just for fun not a business enterprise.

I mean your facilities sound absolutely lovely but as a business you might need to be more efficient so more stables and other stuff might be necessary for profitability.

teddypops

Visit site
I get ‘my little pony’ comments etc when I’m on my sec D at dressage, but she is capable of high 70% scores and we regularly beat all the fancy horses and riders, if anyone says anything now, I just smile and think ‘just you wait’

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Your “friend” sounds like a 13 coil member of the Head Up Their Arse Club. I can’t bear people who feel the need to sneer. I know one unfortunately. When he couldn’t find anything else nasty to say about my recent conversion of a dank, dark, windowless cow shed to bright, airy and frankly very nice internal stables he muttered, “Well, I don’t know why you bothered to put gutters on it.”

palo1

Visit site
What a silly, meaningless and mean comment!! (to OP not replies!). A great many successful and professional horsemen and women have made their name with much less than you have. Your set up sounds brilliant and is probably the envy of loads of people. Sneering and looking down on folk seems to be a part of the equestrian world sadly but you should just ignore the mean comments. There is a wonderful Arabic saying 'The dogs bark but the caravan moves on' which I always think of when I experience sneering (quite often in fact; either directly or just by inference). Just enjoy what you have :) :) The joy in horses, in 'playing' in whatever way you fancy; at a very high level or just watching your horses in the field is more reward than any sense of superiority that anyone else might have.

dorsetladette

Visit site
She sounds pleasant!!! (not)

I'm just leaving work and yes, off to play ponies. Its a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be fun. Yes I take my showing seriously when I have a serious contender for the county circuit, but it still has to be fun.

OP your set up sounds like paradise. I have a 5 acres field, 3 shelters and no running water. Its our little piece of paradise.
Your friend probably is on a snooty livery yard where everyone feels they have to keep up with the Jones's and no one is happy unless they are belittling someone else.

Happy pony playing everyone :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve just bought a used Horsebox and it was delivered yesterday. The guy delivering it asked me what my main discipline was. My spontaneous answer was “having fun”. I used to be more dressage orientated but I began to wonder what I was doing it for. Not that I wouldn’t do a bit for variety but drilling myself and my horse to be competitive seems faintly ridiculous to me now.