Just sat my trailer test........

Emma86

Visit site
Well Done!
When I found out I had to take one to be able to tow I had a little sulk... But after taking it I cant believe not everyone does! So glad I did it and its amazing the things you realise you have learnt when you are out there towing alone!

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
I really want to do mine! Did you do a little intensive course and then took the test at the end? How much was it all if you don't mind me asking? I really need to do mine!

ROG

Visit site
WELL DONE ON PASSING :D:):D:)

Post number 1000 in the HHO TOWING CLINIC for anyone wanting to know more about the test

HHO LGV INFO link below for those wanting to know more for LGV test etc

Hollie15

Visit site
Well done on passing, you must be so pleased!!!

I am looking to sit mine soon, without much training, so got several questions about the test.

Did you drive on the motorway, and what speed do they expect you to go?

Do you have to provide a trailer for the test and the external mirrors for the examiner to use?

The reversing excercise....been having a nightmare getting the dimensions...I understand the length is 4x combination length of car and trailer. Then 2x length to the cone have to bend around, which is in line with the left hand cone you initially drive to. Then after this cone you reverse back into a bay which is as far over to the left as the 11metre width allows. That makes no sense!!!! Hope it does to someone!
Also you're back wheels of trailer have to be in this hatched box on the ground.....does this mean the rear of the trailer can stick out beyond the cones, as this is what happened when I practised.

I'm sure I will add more questions as I go on!!!

ROG

Visit site

I am looking to sit mine soon, without much training, so got several questions about the test.

Do you have to provide a trailer for the test and the external mirrors for the examiner to use?

The reversing excercise....been having a nightmare getting the dimensions...I understand the length is 4x combination length of car and trailer. Then 2x length to the cone have to bend around, which is in line with the left hand cone you initially drive to. Then after this cone you reverse back into a bay which is as far over to the left as the 11metre width allows. That makes no sense!!!! Hope it does to someone!
Also you're back wheels of trailer have to be in this hatched box on the ground.....does this mean the rear of the trailer can stick out beyond the cones, as this is what happened when I practised.

Legal to use m'way but rare to do so

Check out post number 1000 in the HHO TOWING CLINIC link below which should answer all your other queries

mel_s

Visit site
Cost depends on your situation. I had my own 4x4 and trailer so only needed to pay the instructor for time (£20 an hour). I had 3 lessons (double ones - so £40), including the one before my test. You also need to pay for his time when on the test as he has to wait at the test centre for you to come back.

The test was about £120.

For me he provided me with the extra mirrors etc that are required for the test. Didnt go on the motorway during my test but did one time on a lesson - you only go down a junction or whatever, but to be honest - its no different to driving on a motorway normally (aside from lane restrictions and speed difference).

My instructor was a HGV instructor who has his own lorries etc for teaching people. But he did trailers too.

SuperH

Visit site
Hmm my instructor wouldn't let me use own vehicle and trailer. He also told me he would only do full days of training, all I wanted was some guidance with the reversing, happy that my driving is up to scratch. Still I looked around and all the instructors in this area said the same. Not happy about it. I want to see statistics that show there was a problem with trailer accidents before they made you take a test and that now it is in force there are less. I have asked a few instructors and none could give me answers. Costing me a fortune just to tow my horse, whereas I drive a tractor and artic trailer for a living perfectly legally, much much larger, heavier and only 5mph slower.

galaxy

Visit site

Legal to use m'way but rare to do so

Check out post number 1000 in the HHO TOWING CLINIC link below which should answer all your other queries

I did a good 5 miles in the motorway in my test! All the test routes that I practised from my exam centre involved the motorway. But then the centre is only about 2 miles from the M27.

Hollie15. The speed limit on the motorway is 60mph. I'm going to be honest, I really think you should get some lessons. It is tricky to pass.

ROG

Visit site
Most fails are on the road drive not on the reverse or un/coupling and this is due to those taking the test not doing it the way that the DSA want to see them do it = drive in a DSA driving style

SuperH

Visit site
Most fails are on the road drive not on the reverse or un/coupling and this is due to those taking the test not doing it the way that the DSA want to see them do it = drive in a DSA driving style

This to me is just silly. If you are taking the b+e then you have already passed a road driving test in your car. TBH I don't see the point in the reversing/uncouple exercise either, it isn't like you are likely to be a danger to anyone doing either of these activities, most of the time when doing them you are off road or on private property anyway. I just don't see the point in the whole thing unless there are some statistics that back up the need for an extra test.

Still I have to pay up and suffer it, job creation at its best as far as I can see. I'm just bitter about it haha!

ROG

Visit site
This to me is just silly. If you are taking the b+e then you have already passed a road driving test in your car. TBH I don't see the point in the reversing/uncouple exercise either, it isn't like you are likely to be a danger to anyone doing either of these activities, most of the time when doing them you are off road or on private property anyway. I just don't see the point in the whole thing unless there are some statistics that back up the need for an extra test.

Still I have to pay up and suffer it, job creation at its best as far as I can see. I'm just bitter about it haha!

The UK Govt had no say on this as it was imposed by the EU

The only way to possibly change this would be to get out of the EU

Hollie15

Visit site
Hmm my instructor wouldn't let me use own vehicle and trailer. He also told me he would only do full days of training, all I wanted was some guidance with the reversing, happy that my driving is up to scratch. Still I looked around and all the instructors in this area said the same. Not happy about it. I want to see statistics that show there was a problem with trailer accidents before they made you take a test and that now it is in force there are less. I have asked a few instructors and none could give me answers. Costing me a fortune just to tow my horse, whereas I drive a tractor and artic trailer for a living perfectly legally, much much larger, heavier and only 5mph slower.

The full days really get on my nerves too. Costs £100's and £100's. In my assessment he said I only have a few bad habits of general driving to break, which I've worked on and towing the trailer I'm an above average driver (get me!! :p) which is why I begrudge pay £250 for someone to teach me to do something I already can. Its a risk and one I'm still wondering whether to do.I feel I am such a careful driver, correct distances, stopping distances, position in road, awareness and use mirrors etc.

I went to a reversing clinic today and the instructor there said I can NOT use my own car in the test as it wouldn't be insured as I don't have the license. I explained that my ins company are aware I am a provisional towing driver, but he said in the test the examiner would not be insured to be the supervisor of the driving and because not passed would have no insurance. Yet company I had assessment with said I could use my car. So what is right? Apparently there is a box about insurance at top of test sheet. So how do people that go for it get round this?
Anyone clarify this insurance stuff?! I am confused and deflated!!!!

ROG

Visit site
I went to a reversing clinic today and the instructor there said I can NOT use my own car in the test as it wouldn't be insured as I don't have the license. I explained that my ins company are aware I am a provisional towing driver, but he said in the test the examiner would not be insured to be the supervisor of the driving and because not passed would have no insurance. Yet company I had assessment with said I could use my car. So what is right? Apparently there is a box about insurance at top of test sheet. So how do people that go for it get round this?
Anyone clarify this insurance stuff?! I am confused and deflated!!!!

The instructor who said you could not use your vehicle was LYING in order to get you to pay for the use of their set up

Hollie15

Visit site
The instructor who said you could not use your vehicle was LYING in order to get you to pay for the use of their set up

Yayyy!! Thanks ROG, was going to PM you about that one. I wondered how those who don't go through lessons do it!! Bloomin cheeky though isn't it....another reason I'm put off lessons...do an assessment and say you need more than you do etc!
Plus there is nothing like driving your own car, used to it, comfortable in it, etc. I hated driving his for the 10mins I did today (which I drove an hour for, not happy!)

dressedkez

Visit site
Mine was £300 for test and a days training, I think that's really cheap though!

Why, would you think that cheap? I have a son who passed his tractor test at 16 years, can drive legally huge / massive tractors and silage trailers - even a combine harvester - but from his Agric min wage has to find circa £300 to get a slip of paper that says he can tow his fathers cattle to market - or his own horse 10 miles up the road to go hunting....madness!

tiramisu

Visit site
Why, would you think that cheap? I have a son who passed his tractor test at 16 years, can drive legally huge / massive tractors and silage trailers - even a combine harvester - but from his Agric min wage has to find circa £300 to get a slip of paper that says he can tow his fathers cattle to market - or his own horse 10 miles up the road to go hunting....madness!

I think they meant it's cheap for b+e...mine cost me over £500 for 3days + test. It is unfortunate for people that can tow well but I think it's a good thing and should be compulsory for all...there are some people out there with grandfather rights who are quite simply dangerous :rolleyes:

Not saying your son would be like this but the lad I shared my lessons with was a farmer's son...can drive tractors/trailers and was on his 3rd b+e test....driving a car and trailer through a town is very different to a tractor test when your 16 in the country and can't drive a car!!

asommerville

Visit site

Up here its a bargain....everyone else charges £600 plus!! To me it's a lot of money and I couldn't afford to fail that's what I mean by cheap!

asommerville

Visit site
Yayyy!! Thanks ROG, was going to PM you about that one. I wondered how those who don't go through lessons do it!! Bloomin cheeky though isn't it....another reason I'm put off lessons...do an assessment and say you need more than you do etc!
Plus there is nothing like driving your own car, used to it, comfortable in it, etc. I hated driving his for the 10mins I did today (which I drove an hour for, not happy!)

I asked if I could use my car and trailer and I was told not unless I put extra mirrors on the car and trailer, I don't think your instructor was lying

Hollie15

Visit site
I asked if I could use my car and trailer and I was told not unless I put extra mirrors on the car and trailer, I don't think your instructor was lying

I'm happy to put mirrors on etc, just want to drive the car i drive everyday and am happy in. He said I would have no insurance, and from what ROG has said, that is not true! More trying to confuse and scare me into taking a course with him