Just to rival the eventing thread (I hope!) BS(JA)er's, favourite shows/venues? ;o)

KatB

Visit site
As above really! I'm still new to BSJA, so would like to know all the big shows/small shows/venues that are worth going to? :D And also which are your favourite "occasions", Bluechip/Scope etc? :D

At the moment, my favourites (from very limited outings!) are:

Weston Lawns- fab arena's, Cafe, shop, and a fab atmosphere at their weekend shows :D Excessively twisty courses sometimes though :(

Hargate- Very relaxed atmosphere, nice flowing courses, cheap photographer!

I do love Arena Uk, but it is always freezing there, and if you're jumping indoors the warm up is teeny! Outdoors though is lurvely :D

Aiming to get to Field House and Onley in the near future... :)

So, over to you! :D

flyingfeet

Visit site
I like Onley Grounds, but its been an unlucky venue for me:

Parking:
picture.php

Warmup
picture.php

Outdoor
picture.php

Indoor
picture.php

JenniferB

Visit site
Very lucky to have Rowallan and Ingliston close to me. Love Rowallan - huge arena, friendly people, good food. Ingliston is a gorgeous venue with a super surface and some really spooky fences, but don't find it as friendly and the food/drink is really expensive - £1.75 for a can of coke!!!

Have never been to any of the big 'occasion' shows like HOYS, but love going to Blair Atholl for some reason. Not quite sure why as the warmups are full of stones, it's always either brick solid or a total mudbath, there are always millions in the classes and I spend the weekend in a tent... But the parties are always good and let's face it, that's what we showjumpers like!

lucemoose

Visit site
Whoop! Im not sure whether mine will be favourites or just a list of how I find them but here goes...PS Im Area 44/46

Vicarage Farm- Love this venue, grass well maintained, nice courses and the bonus that one of the sets of jumps are the new "German" style jumps so good for spook busting. And local to me! You can pre enter which saves money.

Merrist Wood- It seems to be my nemesis although had a placing last week. Courses vary in strength and ridability, outdoor warm up surface sometimes interesting and a very bottlenecked entry to the indoor. You HAVE to pre enter via an online system which is hideous.

Patchetts- Love it, although bought membership which included a bad luck day there so need to return! Super courses even indoors which is about the size of a postage stamp but you would never guess. Good jumps, and a cafe and tack shop. The parking has an attendant so no having to battle with weekend trailer drivers and the like. Enter on day.

Felbridge- several grass arenas and a newly surfaced arena too. Fun courses, nice food and nice people. Enter on the day.

Littlebourne Farm- beautiful set up, wasnt sure where to warm up but good for youngsters and 'testing' types , nice cafe and good jumps. Enter on the day.

Quob- Large indoor arena but tall so spooky and echoing. Jump for Joy jumps and well set out courses. Again a bit of a bottleneck to enter and a distance from the warm up to the indoor so hard if you are on your own to judge timings.

Royal Leisure- Runs ALL the time which is fab. If you dont know where to go then go here! Friendly atmosphere all the time. A little dingy indoors but much improved. Outdoor arena large and rideable. Bright, old fashioned jumps that are squarely built.

Pachesham- Runs on a massive outdoor arena which is rubber strips or shreds which some horses dont trust. Selection of bright jumps but have heard it gets a little 'poley' when courses go up. Its local so I think its friendly, entries a bit on the expensive side. Lots of choice.

I think thats all ...for now:D:D

jules89

Visit site
Crofton Manor is a-m-a-z-i-n-g and has an outdoor feel even when indoors (great for us eventers ;) ) although if the wind's up it can be blooming cold!

Chermar

Visit site
Just so the Irish don't feel left out I'll put my two pennies worth in!! My Fave venue is Cavan.... Love it all year round no matter what the show!!

I like Portmore too but never have any luck there and for some reason I get more nervous.

measles

Visit site
I'm with JenniferB - Rowallan is fab, people are friendly and helpful. Class entries are v expensive though stabling is very reasonable.

Ingliston entries are cheaper, stabling dearer, can of juice a ridiculous price but I always find a very warm and helpful place and the quality of the fences, arenas and facilities is about the best in the UK.

Kingsbarn is also friendly and has a big warmup. Catering is almost non-existent though and a long walk to the toilets!

SNEC is also a good size and people very helpful. No phone reception which is annoying - the road across from the reception is always full of people on their phones! Clearly that's not their fault, though. Entries are very reasonable and whilst the catering has improved it's never got anything left by the time we arrive to jump the later classes.

Howe would be my least favourite as the warmup is dark, the parking a bit limited and the welcome not always there. The catering was always seriously grim and whilst it has been done up the one time I was in it I still wasn't encouraged to eat anything.

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
I'm based in Herts and travel all over best local venues are:

Keysoe (Beds) - lovely huge outdoor school with great jumps and courses although the surface isn't the best and gets churned up after loads of horses i have heard they are changing it this winter to match the great surface indoors. The indoor school is lovely and big but the indoor warm up is small sometime they let you warm up outside which is great. Very firendly with good cafe and facilities.

Patchetts (Herts) - very efficient and friendly good courses and jumps. New surface outdoors is a bit loose and gets deep in the warm up but plenty of room. Indoor is small but courses are well built and it rides well. Lovely shop and cafe and amazing new toilets.

Manor Farm (Cambs) - very very friendly quite low-key and relaxed they will wait for ages if you are not ready! Suface is a little deep bit indoors is nice and big with good cafe, toilets are horrible and wooden outside.

Addington (Bucks) - amazing facilities, jumps and courses. Management to be desired but the rest is just brilliant as long as you are organised and there on time.

Nats_uk

Visit site
When I competed BSJA

Loved Towerlands - both indoors and outdoors, lovely surfaces, good courses and jumps and good food!!
Norton Heath outdoors - although warm up area is shocking and indoors was too small for my horse!!
Brook Farm TC has a lovely indoor school although it isn't the biggest but the staff were always very friendly and shows well run

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I'm with JenniferB - Rowallan is fab, people are friendly and helpful. Class entries are v expensive though stabling is very reasonable.

Ingliston entries are cheaper, stabling dearer, can of juice a ridiculous price but I always find a very warm and helpful place and the quality of the fences, arenas and facilities is about the best in the UK.

Kingsbarn is also friendly and has a big warmup. Catering is almost non-existent though and a long walk to the toilets!

SNEC is also a good size and people very helpful. No phone reception which is annoying - the road across from the reception is always full of people on their phones! Clearly that's not their fault, though. Entries are very reasonable and whilst the catering has improved it's never got anything left by the time we arrive to jump the later classes.

Howe would be my least favourite as the warmup is dark, the parking a bit limited and the welcome not always there. The catering was always seriously grim and whilst it has been done up the one time I was in it I still wasn't encouraged to eat anything.

I agree to the above!

Blair Castle is a great competition - I loved jumping there. Also like champions of Scotland (Great laugh over 3 days) and when I jumped ponies - the home pony internationals were great fun too.

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
Fave's in my area (17) Aintree and Myerscough, both nice venues, more expensive than barton/osbaldeston/croft top but I don't care IMO it's worth the extra. Love Church Farm in the summer too, great atmosphere. I also like Dean Valley (area 18) but maybe because he won the BN and Disc there!

langside

Visit site
Sadly we're a tad limited over here yet we're probably one of the most competitive areas for Amateurs (Amateur Champs last year - 90cm, 1m and 1.10r 1.15 were all won by area 12/12a members) So i'll just list some:

Stainsby Grange - My local always good fun but Peter allen or Brian must have a stick thats double the height of other course builders ;) You need your brave pants on!!! Also great that they have an indoor warm up and waiting area :)

Northallerton - slightly let down by the warm up which can't take much rain but do fab food

Richmond- lots of options (indoor arena, indoor warm up, outdoor warm up and out door arena) And another with a fab cafe - this one is often warm too :eek:

Holmside Hall - new venue and really friendly have an indoor and outdoor arena - the out door is slightly tight if they use if for classes (summer season)

Holmside Arena - dated

Blue Sky - Not sure if this is going to be a BS venue anymore

Moorhouse Arena- Although also slightly dated they are well organised - Warm up is tiny so they only allow 5 in at a time - I've always done well there so keep going back ;)

Greenlands Cumbria - Lets just say they like colour over there ;) The walls are all lime green and orange and the jumps are all optical illusions - yet most horses jump well there

Area Shows are normally good too held at Allerton or Jamies

Fave Champs - Blue Chips and Amateurs

Blue Chips - Solihull was good but Hartpury have fab facilities most people are really friendly and its a nice show to spend a few days at

Amateurs - Good when at Addington and Aintree wasn't too impressed by Arena UK yet they do good 3 day shows normally

Still don't think i'll go back to Scope unless i qualify for the main arena - very expensive for shabby courses

Thistle

Visit site
I'm based in Herts and travel all over best local venues are:

Keysoe (Beds) - lovely huge outdoor school with great jumps and courses although the surface isn't the best and gets churned up after loads of horses i have heard they are changing it this winter to match the great surface indoors. The indoor school is lovely and big but the indoor warm up is small sometime they let you warm up outside which is great. Very firendly with good cafe and facilities.

Patchetts (Herts) - very efficient and friendly good courses and jumps. New surface outdoors is a bit loose and gets deep in the warm up but plenty of room. Indoor is small but courses are well built and it rides well. Lovely shop and cafe and amazing new toilets.

Manor Farm (Cambs) - very very friendly quite low-key and relaxed they will wait for ages if you are not ready! Suface is a little deep bit indoors is nice and big with good cafe, toilets are horrible and wooden outside.

Addington (Bucks) - amazing facilities, jumps and courses. Management to be desired but the rest is just brilliant as long as you are organised and there on time.

Agree with all these. Norton Heath outdoor is ok, warm up tiny and always seem to get lots of people who really can't control their horses!

Lordsbridge, well - Outdoor grass arena in summer is great, well watered and cared for, however the warm up is dodgy! Indoor is horrid, small dark school, slippy compacted surface and horrid tiny warmup (tis all indoors and linked though). Parking is rediculous, cramped and have to play 'musical lorries' to let people in and out. Pity really as it's my closest, it's just got really run down.

Towerlands, waht a loss it's closure will be!

natalia

Visit site
Lucemoose ,Im Area 44/46 aswell so this is what I think! Are you coming to the area 44 ball on saturday night?

Vicarage Farm- Nice and local, good fences and well maintained rings, friendly there too but has been a bit low on attendance this year. Normally has classes for all, so great as i can bring youngsters and older horses.

Merrist Wood- I hate it here, badly organised, freezing cold and no collecting ring you can watch from or collect in safely. This winter the schedule there is terrible, they seem to have all BN and hardly any Disco and not much over 1.10. Foods good though!

Patchetts- Spooky indoors and my lot never seem to ride well there, love the cafe though! And well run shows, like the fact the smaller classes are last. Expensive though.

Felbridge- Love it here, easy going, fun shows and good crowd, like it when they have the big mixed shows in the summer as there's something for everyone and we make a real day of it.

Pyecombe- Brilliant but can be very windy and cold! Great for summer and love the 4 day shows, well built and spooky courses, if your horse jumps well here it should cope anywhere.

Royal Leisure- really fun winter shows, indoors, sociable and fun to go to. Outdoors rides really well and has a nice atmosphere.

Pachesham- Horse either jumps well here or won't jump to form as surface tends to move under their feet. Quite relaxed shows though and course builders vary greatly, some days built well up to height, others not so. Expensive entries but amazing canteen though!

Yately- Prehistoric...

and your forgetting the fun that is Hickstead! Costs an arm and a leg but event of the season if your down south!

missparis

Visit site
Whoop! Im not sure whether mine will be favourites or just a list of how I find them but here goes...PS Im Area 44/46

Vicarage Farm- Love this venue, grass well maintained, nice courses and the bonus that one of the sets of jumps are the new "German" style jumps so good for spook busting. And local to me! You can pre enter which saves money.

Merrist Wood- It seems to be my nemesis although had a placing last week. Courses vary in strength and ridability, outdoor warm up surface sometimes interesting and a very bottlenecked entry to the indoor. You HAVE to pre enter via an online system which is hideous.

Patchetts- Love it, although bought membership which included a bad luck day there so need to return! Super courses even indoors which is about the size of a postage stamp but you would never guess. Good jumps, and a cafe and tack shop. The parking has an attendant so no having to battle with weekend trailer drivers and the like. Enter on day.

Felbridge- several grass arenas and a newly surfaced arena too. Fun courses, nice food and nice people. Enter on the day.

Littlebourne Farm- beautiful set up, wasnt sure where to warm up but good for youngsters and 'testing' types , nice cafe and good jumps. Enter on the day.

Quob- Large indoor arena but tall so spooky and echoing. Jump for Joy jumps and well set out courses. Again a bit of a bottleneck to enter and a distance from the warm up to the indoor so hard if you are on your own to judge timings.

Royal Leisure- Runs ALL the time which is fab. If you dont know where to go then go here! Friendly atmosphere all the time. A little dingy indoors but much improved. Outdoor arena large and rideable. Bright, old fashioned jumps that are squarely built.

Pachesham- Runs on a massive outdoor arena which is rubber strips or shreds which some horses dont trust. Selection of bright jumps but have heard it gets a little 'poley' when courses go up. Its local so I think its friendly, entries a bit on the expensive side. Lots of choice.

Thanks for the tips Lucemoose - was looking at doing my first BSJA comp at Merrist Wood at the end of Nov/Start of December :)

sw123

Visit site
Weston Lawns is what I think all the other venues need to look at and mark themselves against, fabulous surfaces, lovely jumps and warm up and really good cafe!

Field House with their new outdoor is stunning, loved jumping there this summer. Another great surface. Their indoor is good too.

KatB

Visit site
Have to agree SW!

I am looking forward to jumping at Vale View over the winter though, as the surfaces there are gorgeous, and the new indoor is a decent size too. Just gutted they've got the amateur schedule at the weekends, as I ideally want the progressive schedules! But hey, can't have it all!!

vam

Visit site

Pachesham has good grass rings aswell and the cafe isnt bad.

Sands Farm isnt bad, indoor warm up can be a bit hit and miss and the waiting area by the entrance can be abit eye raising.

My favorite is prob Felbridge but i quite enjoyed jumping at Royal Leisure, Golden Cross and Pachesham.
Will have to go to Vicarage Farm and Patchetts now on this recommendation :D

Tinks81

Visit site
hmmm right my list may be long as i think i have been loads of places !!!

ok HOYS - amazing but god the walking killed my legs it was 16 minuntes from the stables to the international arena !!!! Warm up is tiny and so is the ring to be honest

Scope - hated it and i was in the main arena miles to walk all the time

Arena UK - always cold, warm up is small but ok outdoor shows are good and they always have lots going on from BN - 1.40m meaning you can take babies and top horses together !! oh and the BEST PARTY of the YEAR !!!!!

British Open - Same as HOYS obviously far to far to walk and also another point NO HOOK UP !!

Weston Lawns - only been outdoors liked it here

Wales and West - liked this show alot good food nice arena well organised

Oxfordshire Area Show - hated it as was at Addington !!!! (though all riders and owners got free drinks and cake)

Windsor - horrible you have to pay to get the lorry in !!

Patchetts - Amazing lovely facilities, cafe etc - outdoors is a little deep and indoors a little small

Addington - lovely place horrible person who runs it !!! and they close the bar at 11 !!!

Towerlands - such a shame will miss this place sooo much !!!

Longwood and Norton Heath - Horrible you couldnt pay me to go there !!!

Crofton - lovely though outdoor warm up for winter not good !!

Pachesham - really nice but Grass !!

Cobham/Duckhurst/Eaglesfield - again you couldnt pay me to go there apart from EAglesfield at the Area 45 show

Hickstead - love it though again walking killed me !! but it is what it is !!

The Hand - My favourite place they even have a posh bar to part in !!!! again like arena though small warm up indoors !!

Pyecombe - love it here though lou cant ride my horse as she rides for them ?!!

Royal Leisure - great for babies yea its a bit dungy but helps them get used to it !!

golden cross - horrible but good for babies i guess !!

shark1

Visit site
Hmmm OK

Onley - good view from cafe & sofas!! outdoor good for babies as all penned in with wood so no distractions

Weston lawns - always so busy, but really good otherwise, second warm up quite small though

Crofton manor - babies dont like the black mats in the indoor entrance!! love the outdoor not so keen on the indoor

Kingston maurward - nice informal and low key but always freezing & windy

Summerhouse - warm up TINY nice ring quite spooky.

Hand - perfect now they use the outdoor for warming up as well as the little indoor one

Hargate - didnt really like the ring? Not sure why but good cake

Allens hill - nice but dont like the set of jumps!

Aintree - amazing! long walk to the stables but worth it as indoor is amazing.

Gracelands - small small small indoor bit dark but does the job

Scope - fab if you have a horse on top of their game so to speak otherwise dont bother, ditto Arena UK

Addington - really very good facilities.....

cant think of any more off the top of my head.....

Weezy

Visit site
At Summerhouse you can usually use the indoor to warm up in if you compete in the week - much better than the tiny outdoor. Do love jumping there tho.

Love Weston Lawns but it is almost 2 hours from me :(

Addington is too busy and am always made to feel like I don't belong

Blewbury - indoor and warm up surfaces are horrible :( Parking is also not great when busy. Grass arena is OK tho.

The best surface and place I have ever jumped is Quainton Stud - just wish they did affiliated there :( MB Equestrian run unaff, but to have aff there would be my dream.

lucemoose

Visit site
Any opinions on which you think is the better venue for 1st BS show - Merrist or Crofton?

well MWs schedules all seem to be the majority intro shows BUT you have to enter before hand so you cant pop around the 80cm then go into the BN on a whim.
I would love to go to Crofton , it sounds lush.

photo_jo

Visit site
For those who haven't seen Field House's new arena here it is-it's superb!-the arena at the top is 60x20 and there is a cross country loop with steps and ditch
FieldHouseEquestrianCentre.jpg

Last edited:

showjumpergirl

Visit site
I like anywhere with a reasonably large ring and loads of atmosphere - my pony seems to really light up in places like that but is much quieter at shows at my trainer's yard etc. I haven't been to very many places yet though :(

Super_starz

Visit site
Another thumbs up for Ingliston & Rowallan, always worth the 2 1/2hour drive!

Greenlands is great now with the new Andrews Bowen surface - its like a completly different place!

Really like Richmonds outdoors as well, has anyone seen the new indoor surface (just wondering what its like)?